D. DiLiberto vs. T. Fleharty 2000 D.C.C.

blindlemon

Verified Member
I have to jump back in here again because of a tongue in cheek made by SJD about my ability to pocket balls. So, only if to satisfy myself, I got back on the table and shot this shot 50 consecutive times, sat down, rested, got up and shot it 25 more times. I pocketed the ball 63 out of 75 times with varying results. What ever the result was, the fact is, I still had control of the table to shoot at another ball, to move the 15, whatever, I would still have control 63 out of 75 times. Most of you guys make sports bets with far worse odds then that and you have absolutely no control over the outcome. I really don't think it is that tough a shot. that's an 84% positive outcome.

One other thing, it would be nice if when a person is trying to decide on a shot that the rules be consistent. For instance, If I think I'm playing Danny D, my shot selection will be different then if I were playing an average player. With Danny D there is, at my level of play, a sense or urgency to finish the game because of his experience and knowledge of the game. Conversely, some one that plays at my level there isn't the same urgency because of our equal skill set. So, if when someone poses one of these problems would you please be more concise, i/e your shooting against the player in this game as shown or your playing someone you own speed what would you do? This is not meant to be rude or argumentative.

JohnG

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I have to jump back in here again because of a tongue in cheek made by SJD about my ability to pocket balls. So, only if to satisfy myself, I got back on the table and shot this shot 50 consecutive times, sat down, rested, got up and shot it 25 more times. I pocketed the ball 63 out of 75 times with varying results. What ever the result was, the fact is, I still had control of the table to shoot at another ball, to move the 15, whatever, I would still have control 63 out of 75 times. Most of you guys make sports bets with far worse odds then that and you have absolutely no control over the outcome. I really don't think it is that tough a shot. that's an 84% positive outcome.

One other thing, it would be nice if when a person is trying to decide on a shot that the rules be consistent. For instance, If I think I'm playing Danny D, my shot selection will be different then if I were playing an average player. With Danny D there is, at my level of play, a sense or urgency to finish the game because of his experience and knowledge of the game. Conversely, some one that plays at my level there isn't the same urgency because of our equal skill set. So, if when someone poses one of these problems would you please be more concise, i/e your shooting against the player in this game as shown or your playing someone you own speed what would you do? This is not meant to be rude or argumentative. JohnG

john if you think your post is rude or argumentative you havent been reading many posts for very long between various combinations of onepockethacker/billy i/ sjd/freddy/ghost......:D
in these what would you do threads
people will say if im playing an equal or better player id do this
if playing a weaker player id do that
or
if i had efrens skills id shoot this
with my skills id do that

keep posting
you are doing great
:)

Jimmy B

Verified Member

One other thing, it would be nice if when a person is trying to decide on a shot that the rules be consistent. For instance, If I think I'm playing Danny D, my shot selection will be different then if I were playing an average player. With Danny D there is, at my level of play, a sense or urgency to finish the game because of his experience and knowledge of the game. Conversely, some one that plays at my level there isn't the same urgency because of our equal skill set. So, if when someone poses one of these problems would you please be more concise, i/e your shooting against the player in this game as shown or your playing someone you own speed what would you do? This is not meant to be rude or argumentative.

JohnG

That's some strong medicine. You sir are now moved to the head of the class. But remember, when you're really good at something, never do it for free. Welcome to the site. It's a good one. But what I really want to see is Steve playing his blues harp one time. I hope he will do it for free, but I'll pay.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

JohnG

Thanks John, I think you made my point.

I've always assumed that the WWYD propositions meant if you were in that position---against that opponent. If not so, I'll try to be more specific in the future. Still, in this case I'd probably be shooting the two against most anyone but my 10 yr old grandson (I can still manage to beat him pretty regularly without taking such extreme risks ;)). Against a much better player it just becomes that much more imperative, IMO.

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
One more option....

One more option....

one more option....and my shot choice here.

CUT the nine.

I set it up 10 times, made it 3 and left it within 6 inches of the pocket the other 7 times. I sold out a shot once when the cue ball brushed the top of the 11 leaving it almost straight in.

Striking the cue ball with center right english allows you to miss the 2 balls on the head rail coming to rest close to the rail near the 11 ball.

One stipulation...

IF...the cloth is less than a month or so old, I may choose to 2 rail the nine. Because the newness of the cloth will create wider angles...especially off the second rail, I could hit the nine more full drawing the cue ball to the end rail then under the 11. Yes, there is potential to sell out a shot but I believe the odds are in my favor.

Alas....

shoot the 2? I can't SEE that far!!!

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

CUT the nine.

I set it up 10 times, made it 3 and left it within 6 inches of the pocket the other 7 times. I sold out a shot once when the cue ball brushed the top of the 11 leaving it almost straight in.

Striking the cue ball with center right english allows you to miss the 2 balls on the head rail coming to rest close to the rail near the 11 ball.

I agree with Senor and with you. The cut on the nine looks like the logical shot.
Rod.
P.S. I can See that far, but the murky stuff around the edges bothers me.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

CUT the nine.

One stipulation...

IF...the cloth is less than a month or so old, I may choose to 2 rail the nine. Because the newness of the cloth will create wider angles...especially off the second rail, I could hit the nine more full drawing the cue ball to the end rail then under the 11. Yes, there is potential to sell out a shot but I believe the odds are in my favor.

Alas....

The high altitude flying has confused me, so I need a little help with this one.

Are you saying that 70% of the time you left a cross corner bank or cut the 2, and brought another ball down table? That doesnt sound right.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The high altitude flying has confused me, so I need a little help with this one.

Are you saying that 70% of the time you left a cross corner bank or cut the 2, and brought another ball down table? That doesnt sound right.

JTom, Are you related to Obama ? (altitude stupidity, is not good for a pilot ! ;))...I thought Weatherman, (Dave)..well explained a very viable option..I think I made that my second choice, if I was not feeling too froggy about shooting the duece...Try reading it over. :frus

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member

You and I are seeing this situation the same way.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

I believe that in many situations where there are multible options available, it shouldn't be written in stone that any one option is the best. It all comes down to execution. What may be the best option for one player doesn't neccessarily have to be the right option for another. All the options discussed have strengths and weaknesses, it's up to the player at the table to make the decision on what option best suits his skill level. Sometimes that's hardrer to do than at other times, but experiencing the different options will eventually guide us to the one that's best suited for our game.

All I can say other than what I did say is...Don't choose the option on the 2ball and draw your ball..:eek:

Dr. Bill

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I believe that in many situations where there are multible options available, it shouldn't be written in stone that any one option is the best. It all comes down to execution. What may be the best option for one player doesn't neccessarily have to be the right option for another. All the options discussed have strengths and weaknesses, it's up to the player at the table to make the decision on what option best suits his skill level. Sometimes that's hardrer to do than at other times, but experiencing the different options will eventually guide us to the one that's best suited for our game.

All I can say other than what I did say is...Don't choose the option on the 2ball and draw your ball..:eek:

Dr. Bill

The cut on the 9 was more successful than 2 ball draw.

I'm just saying 30% success rate is not very good unless your getting 4 to 1 on the money

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

You are probably right Billy. Different strokes for different folks. You wouldn't have been able to probably pull off the 2 ball shot in your prime let alone now. So Im sorry i put your 2 railer down. I myself went to the poolhall last night for the first time in weeks( some guy came in and wanted to play $ 100 a game 9 ball so we relieved him of that money that was burning a hole in his pocket):D Then after not hitting a ball for weeks I decided to set up the shot. COMPLETELY out of stroke I got out 3 times, made the 2 ball 3 other times then played safe on the 15 ball, missed the 2 ball and got safe 3 times leaving a long bank, and once sold out the 15 ball and maybe the 9 ball. Didnt even sniff scratching on the shot once... So I see what you mean Billy, the 2 ball draw is a horrible shot :rolleyes: :sorry

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd Jack up over the nine and bank the near ball on the long rail....4 rails long to the bottom rail about a diamond out & if it lays straight kinda handcuffs ya. The natural shooting position of the body makes it Easy to spin whitey to make sure it banks four rails long, plus your in the natural/elevated shooting position, to easily kill whitey.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I'd Jack up over the nine and bank the near ball on the long rail....4 rails long to the bottom rail about a diamond out & if it lays straight kinda handcuffs ya. The natural shooting position of the body makes it Easy to spin whitey to make sure it banks four rails long, plus your in the natural/elevated shooting position, to easily kill whitey.

Bill, with the power needed for that shot and being jacked up I think you might jump off the table.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd agree, cept when your hittin' whitey @ 9 o'clock outside & elevated, the spin will transfer allot more ball speed, almost like ''pinching'' a ball, now if its directional cloth, no bet :).

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Once upon a time ...

Once upon a time ...

Imagine yourself ahead

You need 2

He needs 5

If you put more balls in play

You deserve to lose

move the ten over to the rail and leave the CB on the rail and close enough to the ten to make any shot down table one from a jacked up position.

Let us see if the opponii wishes to play the 2-12(?) carom

Should be a long game from here ....