D. DiLiberto vs. T. Fleharty 2000 D.C.C.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And as always, with shot choices, I put my money where my mouth is...now then, before I continue, let me put up a coupla smileys so all youse guys will know that this is friendly woofing..:) :)...

Now then....I know all you keyboard cowboys shoot scary super straight..:eek:...that said, anybody who plays my speed (or under my speed and I'll spot you accordingly) that wants to shoot the 2ball in and draw to the side rail, has got $50 a game action with me at the upcoming DCC, or here in Chicago anytime - I will be shooting a safety instead - we'll alternate shooting first, and then play the games out, if necessary (although I'm sure we wont be playing out half the games, because I know you straight-shootin' sweet strokin' keyboard cowboys will be running 2 balls and out on me every time, when it's your turn to shoot first :))...I'm sure the tight pockets of a real pool table (not a virtual one) and a $50 bet won't bother you keyboard cowboys any from firing that hanger of a 2ball right on in...:heh...:rolleyes:...:cool:

Looking forward to hearing from a few of you straight shooters, Gh:)st

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
And as always, with shot choices, I put my money where my mouth is...now then, before I continue, let me put up a coupla smileys so all youse guys will know that this is friendly woofing..:) :)...

Now then....I know all you keyboard cowboys shoot scary super straight..:eek:...that said, anybody who plays my speed (or under my speed and I'll spot you accordingly) that wants to shoot the 2ball in and draw to the side rail, has got $50 a game action with me at the upcoming DCC, or here in Chicago anytime - I will be shooting a safety instead - we'll alternate shooting first, and then play the games out, if necessary (although I'm sure we wont be playing out half the games, because I know you straight-shootin' sweet strokin' keyboard cowboys will be running 2 balls and out on me every time, when it's your turn to shoot first :))...I'm sure the tight pockets of a real pool table (not a virtual one) and a $50 bet won't bother you keyboard cowboys any from firing that hanger of a 2ball right on in...:heh...:rolleyes:...:cool:

Mr Ghost,

If we were in the same room you might trap me in this game... :D But it would depend greatly on the table.

What kind of weight are you offering??? :cool:

Dud

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Show up money..for sure !

Show up money..for sure !

Now then....I know all you keyboard cowboys shoot scary super straight.....that said, anybody who plays my speed (or under my speed and I'll spot you accordingly) that wants to shoot the 2ball in and draw to the side rail, has got $50 a game action with me at the upcoming DCC, or here in Chicago anytime - I will be shooting a safety instead - we'll alternate shooting first, and then play the games out, if necessary (although I'm sure we wont be playing out half the games, because I know you straight-shootin' keyboard cowboys will be running 2 balls and out on me every time, when it's your turn to shoot first ...I'm sure the tight pockets of a real pool table (not a virtual one) and a $50 bet won't bother you keyboard cowboys any from firing that hanger of a 2ball right on in...:)..:rolleyes:

Looking forward to hearing from a few of you straight shooters, Ghost

Gh:eek:asty,

Just so you know, this is friendly woofing back..:) :)..I have no less than three local players, (none of which are named Frost, or Fast Lenny ;)) whom I would be glad to sponsor, in your challenge..Just so we are clear on this..the score is 6 to 3 and no matter who shoots first, you are down 3 balls, and the game continues, until the someone gets to 8..?..Correct ?...I will not be going again, this year. But, let me know and my $$$ will be there again for you to collect..;)

SuperDuck (your BFF)

PS..Quite possibly only 1 or 2 of the 3 guys I have in mind will be going, and I don't think ANY of them can 'move' with the Ghost !..But you did make a pretty open challenge, didn't you ???..:cool:

Last edited:

blindlemon

Verified Member

Now then....I know all you keyboard cowboys shoot scary super straight..:eek:...that said, anybody who plays my speed (or under my speed and I'll spot you accordingly) that wants to shoot the 2ball in and draw to the side rail, has got $50 a game action with me at the upcoming DCC, or here in Chicago anytime - I will be shooting a safety instead - we'll alternate shooting first, and then play the games out, if necessary (although I'm sure we wont be playing out half the games, because I know you straight-shootin' keyboard cowboys will be running 2 balls and out on me every time, when it's your turn to shoot first :rolleyes:)...I'm sure the tight pockets of a real pool table (not a virtual one) and a $50 bet won't bother you keyboard cowboys any from firing that hanger of a 2ball right on in...:)...:heh...:rolleyes:...:cool:

I just don't understand why shooting the 2 ball is such a scary shot for you. I look at the shot as having two parts. #1 pocketing the ball and two catching the side rail and bumping the 15 ball. The question was " what would YOU shoot ". It should be safe to assume I've been playing on this table for at least a little while, I'm good with the pockets, I've already made six balls, and I've got a feel for the rails. I'm playing well or I probably wouldn't be playing. I would have to hit the ball very poorly to fail both aspects of the shot. If I pocket the ball and fail to get position on the 15 ball I am on the hill and I simply move the 15 to a better position. If I fail to make the shot I know I will be on the inside of the 15. It is a shot I can win on if I perform. It is not a shot I can lose on unless I really dog it. while I agree there is no urgency to shoot. Unless you have a complete slug for an opponnent and your on the lemon I've not found waiting to be an advantage. That is not to say one should shoot difficult shots as a matter of course. This is a semi difficult shot that's been well thought out and has a very good chance of success. I'm not advocating this shot be shot in all instanses. I'm playing DannyD here, a pretty good mover, do I really want to wait around and see who will make the first mistake. For my money I'm going to shoot. as to your statement above 50$ wouldn't scare me but a different table might. It's not an everytime shot, just this time.

JohnG

senor

Verified Member
That certainly would be the best shot for me but it looked to me like there is too much angle to cut the nine without hitting one of those two balls at the top right corner.

Frank and OPG, the angle may well not be there. Would need to look at real table.

senor

Verified Member
Why on earth would you bring another ball down table if you miss it?

Because I think the odds of selling out are low (with the shot I see at least). Play the cue ball to kill off the first rail and come back to the side rail it is near now. If you overcut the 9 and happen to not hit it pocket speed but you take care of the CB and it is on or near the side rail, it doesn't seem like a sellout. You'd most likely give up some kind of double kiss shot. I guess as Freddy would like to say, you might be forfeiting a move, because if the 9 is missed as I described, you would surely give up an easy safety.

But as I stated in my first response, the OB and CB are so close together, I imagine most good players can execute the shot with good speed.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
..Just so we are clear on this..the score is 6 to 3 and no matter who shoots first, you are down 3 balls, and the game continues, until the someone gets to 8..?..Correct ?...

Please don't tell me you're being serious here...if you are, then you really are fukkin senile now...yeah, I'm really gonna spot a guy that plays even with me 3 balls here...:rolleyes:

Obviously Stephen Hawking :rolleyes:, when it's my turn to shoot first, I am the one who is ahead 6-3....since the whole point of this shot choice debate and my proposition bet, is that myself and Billy both definitively say that if you are ahead 6-3 in this spot, the correct/smart shot is a safety - not shooting the 2ball.

- Gh:rolleyes:st

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
It comes down to are you trying to win or waiting around to lose? The safe Billy suggested at the LEAST leaves 1. a bank on the 9 ball with a follow up shot on the 2 ball or 2. a 2 railer on the 8 ball and follow up shot on the 2 ball or 3. a bank on the 2 ball with a follow shot on the 9 ball.... Anyone who wants to WIN the game shoot the 2 ball, anyone who wants to wait around and hope your opponent gift wraps the game for you shoot something else.
I can't believe this is even a discussion. LOL

First, this is a good thread, and a good pick of spots btw.

I just think the opposite of you. To me your thinking here says "if I can't win now I don't want to sit around and wait, i'll win it or take a shot at losing it here, i don't care".

That is what taking that shot says to me. But you shoot straighter than me so it is very arguable I know. One pocket seems to be changing though. I learned one pocket at a time when it seemed like hopkins was winning everything, and he was shooting at nothing. It seems to have all changed now, it is almost like one pocket is more like football where there is a timer, and if you wait too long, the other guy will get there first.

I still would not shoot this, and find this to be one of the tougher calls we've talked about.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Please don't tell me you're being serious here...if you are, then you really are fukkin senile now...

Obviously Stephen Hawking :rolleyes:, when it's my turn to shoot first, I am the one who is ahead 6-3....since the whole point of this shot choice debate and proposition is that myself and Billy both definitively say that if you are ahead 6-3 in this spot, the correct shot is a safety - not shooting the 2ball.

I'm not propositioning at all, but my statement on this would be:

The higher the bet, the higher the win percentage of the player not shooting here, if all other things (opponents etc) are equal. Shooters would have a lower win %, getting lower as the bet increased. That is what I think and i know people think im wrong :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Mr Ghost,

If we were in the same room you might trap me in this game... :D But it would depend greatly on the table.

The DCC tables will work...:)

What kind of weight are you offering??? :cool:

C'mon now Simon, don't force me to answer that, and out your speed to the rest of the posters here...:heh

Dud

- Ghost

PS, And all kidding aside Simon...I respect your shooting ability - you've got excellent fundamentals, concentration, and you shoot real straight...but that said, I still hope you take me up on my offer...:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Please don't tell me you're being serious here...if you are, then you really are fukkin senile now...yeah, I'm really gonna spot a guy that plays even with me 3 balls here...:rolleyes:

Obviously Stephen Hawking :rolleyes:, when it's my turn to shoot first, I am the one who is ahead 6-3....since the whole point of this shot choice debate and my proposition bet, is that myself and Billy both definitively say that if you are ahead 6-3 in this spot, the correct/smart shot is a safety - not shooting the 2ball. <--Are you sure you didn't learn the game from Artie ? :rolleyes:

:sorry But you DID NOT make that clear. :) :)..However, if you are so sure a safety is the best shot, I will give you another ball (making it 6-4), and my guy will shoot the 'stupid' dumb, gofer shot, EVERY game !!!..He has to put a pretty good stroke on it, and will probably scratch every other time. Then its 5-4, and you have ball in hand in the kitchen...:eek:..How 'bout them apples ?? :p

Stephan Hawking McDuck

PS..I should have known, your "SNUGNESS" with your $$, would not have let a wild offer like that slip by...:cool:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I just don't understand why shooting the 2 ball is such a scary shot for you.

John, I never said it was scary for me - I'm not scared of any shot...what I am scared of though, is getting older every year...:eek:

The question was " what would YOU shoot.

John, you're right here...myself and some others have been debating the shot choices if playing against each other, etc.......going back to the original question then...

I'm playing DannyD here, a pretty good mover, do I really want to wait around and see who will make the first mistake. For my money I'm going to shoot.

Ok then...with you answering Dennis's question literally here, I'll say this....if you John, are playing Danny D. with that 6-3 lead - and you feel like you shoot pretty straight - and you feel like Danny may very likely outmove you from here on and steal the game from you...then for you here, shooting the 2ball may be the best choice.

JohnG

- Ghost

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
- Ghost

PS, And all kidding aside Simon...I respect your shooting ability - you've got excellent fundamentals, concentration, and you shoot real straight...but that said, I still hope you take me up on my offer...:)

Ghroast,

It is a tricky little shot to shoot with the corner pocket being there. I never thought that drawing to the side rail was the only shot to shoot--> so I probably wouldn't play it out as you have described. I would need the option to shoot any shot I feel like. Then you would have action.

I don't think I'll make it to the derby this year unfortunately. So this would have to wait until next time.

Dud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy I. Just wondering if you would want to shoot this game against me? We set the balls up just like they are everytime. We take turns. First I shoot first and up 6 to 3 and I shoot the 2 ball and we play the game out. Then you shoot first up 6 to 3 and you play safe and we play the game out. Just curious to see how confident you are in your shot selection:D

You're talking like the player/man I think you are. What makes you think that I would play a give or take proposition with someone who plays at least 2 balls better than me? Either you think that i'm a complete fool, or you really don't know any better, i'm thinking the latter.

This is not a type of a situatiion where you can give a player a prop where he can shoot the shot...over and over....The reason that is, is because he the shooter will go to school on shooting the spotted ball and will be hitting it better the more he shoots it. The actual pressure with choosing the 2ball lays in shooting it only once (pressure shot) why would I allow you to lessen the pressure of the shot by allowing you to shoot it over and over?:sorry

But what I will do is i'll take any of the top players and have them play my shot, against you playing the 2ball shot, only once for each side. You get to play your 2ball and my player gets to play my safety, one time only.;) Now man with the big heart and the right shot, what do you want to bet? And when do you want to do this? Lets not hear that you haven't been playing, that's getting old.

I'm 68 years old coming off of major back surgery, when you beat me. You really beat a tough player, didn't you. Why don't you play some decent players with an even game, then you can promote yourself like you have been. And you can save all that bullshit about you stalling when we played, you crapped all over yourself, like I said you did. And when you saw that I was never going to make a ball you started to settle down and play your game. To me your just another player that toots his horn and runs away. I'm not thrilled about playing anyone pool at my age for serious money, especially a good player like yourself. However i'll play you the game you want because I feel that the real you will show up, and that's ...real...real. Your friend always.:)

Dr. Bill

that'll buff out

From
Detroit, MI
LMFAO See Billy the hard part was not wanting to play on the stream table. So i had to juggle beating you and laying down at the same time, without my stakehorses knowing I was laying down because they would have panicked. LOL. It was actually pretty sweet the way it went down. I was actually going to let you win the 2nd set once you were up 2 to 0. You however dogged it so bad that I didn't have to anything to tie the match at 2 to 2. Finally the last game I decided I my as well win it at that point. Thats why the 2nd match I made sure we played in the side room. I carved you up real nice in that side room.:D Although you did hit some desperation white flags to save you from a worse drubbing.:sorry I do however have ALOT of respect for your game and I realize to give you 9 to 7 on your own table I would have to practice for a week or so and get in stroke. Last time we played I hadn't hit ball for over 3 weeks and we almost didn't even go to Derby City. We decided at the last minute to go. What I did like about playing you was as soon as I decided to crank it up a notch you got REAL weak. Your heart was pumping koolaid.:eek: No hard feelings though buddy.. It wasn't personal, it was business.. you were a target.
P.S. the funniest part of the match was when Scott was running around telling everyone how you had the nuts and you were stealing!! LMFAO You were stealing alright....from a dunkin doughnuts with 15 cops inside it LMFAO:lol:lol:lol

Detroit lurker chiming in, first post, and if i had to win pool for a living id be much skinnier. Nonetheless, i still like the game.

Out of curiosity what year, or decade for that matter, did this epic all-encompassing balls to the wall battle of gods where the heat was applied and some got tempered and some got annealed happen? Please tell me that all this talk and reference to this event wasn't just one game, set, or a weekend of play?

By the way if an opponent really ever wanted to have a discussion at anywhere near this length with anywhere near this emotion about how a single shot defines the pool legacy that's left for grandchildren I'd probly just hit him with the butt of my cue and walk out with the cash.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Welcome tbo

Welcome tbo

and get used to this sort of give and take. This one quit being about the shot 'way back there, and has been about something else since. It's common on this site, and one just has to decide where to draw the line and ignore it. Once in a while you might miss something, but not often. I find myself wondering why I followed a thread so long. There's some here that I have not visited in a while.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
and get used to this sort of give and take. This one quit being about the shot 'way back there, and has been about something else since. It's common on this site, and one just has to decide where to draw the line and ignore it. Once in a while you might miss something, but not often. I find myself wondering why I followed a thread so long. There's some here that I have not visited in a while.

Sorry Bill, but at times I get a little too intense in debating, with certain people. But we did discuss the shot with the 2ball. Didn't we?:)

Dr. Bill

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'm not propositioning at all, but my statement on this would be:

The higher the bet, the higher the win percentage of the player not shooting here, if all other things (opponents etc) are equal. Shooters would have a lower win %, getting lower as the bet increased. That is what I think and i know people think im wrong :)
Tyler,

You may be right Tyler...It may very well depend on who you are playing..There are probably several hundrred mediocre shortstops, who could win, firing at the deuce... Of course there are several thousand mediocre shortstops, who will think its the wrong shot..Trust me, shooting at the duece, is stealiing.

.(unless you are a "skeered" Ghost}..who would implode if he LOST, and may kill you with his Samuria 'cue stick') :p :p :p

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I just deleted alot of my posts of my back and forth with Billy I. Can't argue with a brick wall. So after giving it some more thought I have decided Billy is right about everything ... the safety is the right shot, the earth is flat, Oswald acted alone, and O.J. was innocent etc. etc. etc.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I have decided to put these in percentages.
times out of 10 player will make 2 ball and get out- 3
times out of 10 player will make 2 ball and then play safe off 15 ball- 2
times out of 10 player will miss 10 ball and opponent will get no balls- 2
times out of 10 player will miss 2ball and opponent will get 1 ball- 2
times out of 10 player will miss 2 ball and opponent will get more than 1 ball- 1

so in 3 instances the game is over and you won
in 2 instances you are up 7 to 3 and the move
in 2 other instances you are still up 6 to 3 and your opponent is probably long banking the 9 ball or 2 ball
in 2 instances you will be up 6 to 4 and your opponent might have one near his hole or dripping
in 1 instance you will be up 6 to 5 or tied maybe

now ask your self how many times out of 10 will the guy up 6 to 3 who plays safe win? keep in mind the guy playing safe is leaving a some kind of shot for his opponent ALL 10 TIMES

Last edited: