Cues we use + specs

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hey, maybe we don't say it as often as we should, but don't think anyone doubts that you do more than your part.

Belated thanks. :)

^^^^^^
what he said....:)

Thanks bro's.

let me start by saying my first cue was a joss which i specifically asked to have no markings on it which dan agreed to
i wanted to be under cover....:heh:heh
it was 57 inches
i think 1970's or 1980s

That's a coincidence Larry...because the first cue that I ever ordered to be made specifically for me was also a Joss East, by Danny Janes...

This was in the early 70's, and the cue was all Cocobolo.

- Ghost

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Cue

Cue

This is the cue I am currently playing with since my Bobby Hunter is back with him getting some work done.

It actually a Jacoby break cue with an Odega layered tip. Both butt and shaft are laminated and I was told this was a prototype for The Edge break cues made by Jacoby.

It hits a ton but I have trouble in one pocket with it because I have to use center ball. I have got some action playing with it from players that would not play me before.

Attachments

• jac1.jpg
    jac1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
  • jac2.jpg
    jac2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I quit playing and sold my Southwest, case, and j/b cue right before the birth of my daughter in 1990. Fast forward to December 2014 and getting back to the game was a bit overwhelming as far as equipment goes, there have been a lot of changes particularly in shafts and tips.

Anyway, I took a flyer and bought a Lambros, turns out it was too soft a hit for me. I ended up buying a 58" Mezz that is 19.5oz with a wx700 shaft 12.5 mm with a kamui med tip.

Hardmix

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Close-up of my BCM....it's exactly like the cue that Joey Gold/Cognoscenti makes, ebony or African blackwood, with the sterling silver stitch work at all points...but Bryan sells his for half the price of the Cog - and Bryan's workmanship is superb.

- Ghost

Attachments

• BCM CUE.jpg
    BCM CUE.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
Originally Posted by bstroud
John, since you asked.

I have never played with an OB shaft but I have played and tested a lot of Predator shafts. While they do have low squirt, they all seem to hit terrible to me. By that, I mean the have too much vibration and have a high pitched sound. A lot of these effects come from the hole that they drill in the front 6 inches. These two things bother me a lot when I play.

I think the butt makes a great deal of difference in how the cue "feels" to each person. Some players like thin butts others like thick ones. A lot is determined by what you grew up playing with.

If you grew up playing with house cues an unwraped cue will probably feel comfortable to you.

I grew up with wrapped cues so that is what I like to play with.

When I was younger I used a 14MM shaft. It worked OK for the conditions at that time. Now I used a 12.75MM low squirt SmartShaft with vibration damping that I made myself. It is very quiet no matter what tip I use.

I currently play with a Kamui SS and like it a lot. It seems to last forever even though I hit hundreds of balls with it each day. I also use the Kamui chalk because it is less abrasive and makes the tip last longer.

I used to play with a 20.25OZ cue in the old days but with the advent of fast cloth I now play with a 19OZ cue. Nothing fancy.

The cue seems to be more than the sum of its' physical parts. How you perceive it and how it feels to you seem to affect your comfort zone and your confidence.

Some players seem to be immune to all this. I was traveling with Taylor when he picked one of the last cues out of the wall rack that had almost no tip and never missed a ball or a bank.

After more than 50 years, I am still trying to understand how he could do it?

Bill S.

Ahh, so true

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Close-up of my BCM....it's exactly like the cue that Joey Gold/Cognoscenti makes, ebony or African blackwood, with the sterling silver stitch work at all points...but Bryan sells his for half the price of the Cog - and Bryan's workmanship is superb.

- Ghost

ghost i always like the "understated elegance" of an all ebony cue

stedyfred

Verified Member
I play with a Barry Szamboti cue 20 and a qtr ounces ,58.5 in., stainless steel joint, water buffalo tip 13mm with a pro taper. Love Barry's work.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Ghostie, that's a fine-looking weapon - looks like something a man could draw blood with. What would your cueman charge for such a billiard bat? Just asking.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
ghost i always like the "understated elegance" of an all ebony cue

Me too Larry..especially with the contrasting silver stitches for a subtle design element.

Ghostie, that's a fine-looking weapon - looks like something a man could draw blood with. What would your cueman charge for such a billiard bat? Just asking.

Bill....not sure if it's the same price now..but 3 years ago Bryan's price for my cue was $750...Joey Gold and Bobby Hunter both make that exact same cue, and their price is $1,500...

Also, Bryan is a super nice guy...a friendly, honest, blue collar, family man...and he does pristine work..he builds cues with beautiful woods, not with a lot of inlays...

Here's a pic from his website, as of this week..displaying a few of the cues he's currently just finishing up (hasn't put the wraps on yet) ----->

- Ghost

PS, And here's a link to his website: http://www.bcmcue.com/

Attachments

• 0 0 BCM.jpg
    0 0 BCM.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
An exceptionally beautiful cue.

When I started back a month or so ago, I bought a sneaky- Pete from Rod. It was a Players cue. Solid strike, low deflection shaft, Le pro hard tip with very little contact noise.

I liked it enough to check out some of the newer models at international billiard supply here in Houston.

I bought another one, a little fancier looking than the Pete and I'm very happy with it also. It hits solid, and looks good. I paid $113.00 with one shaft and I can't feel any difference in it and some very high priced cues I've owned in the past.

How much did you pay for this Players cue? If you don't mind?
Just curious because it's a beautiful cue.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
How much did you pay for this Players cue? If you don't mind?
Just curious because it's a beautiful cue.

Being out of the game for a long time it's understandable that you would be confused about the difference between "513 players cue" and a Players cue.

I'm not familiar with the source of GC's cue, but it's obviously custom or very high-grade production. "Players" are relatively inexpensive production cues (very good for the price IMO) wholesaled (I think exclusively in the U.S.) by "Cue and Case." As I recall they are made by an Asian company, and range in price from $40 - $200. You may be able to buy direct from Cue and Case; if not, they are available from Ozone Billiards online, as well as Muellers and probably several other online retailers.

I have been playing recently with a Players that fits my Predator and OB shafts. I am one who believes that how a cue feels and performs is 80-90% tip and shaft, 10-20% joint, and 0% butt, but if my credibility on this subject matches my stroke, fuggedaboudit. :p

bstroud

Verified Member
John,

While I agree that most of the feel is in the shaft, if the butt doesn't feel right it is difficult to get comfortable with a cue.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
here's mine:

:)
Dustin, where did you get that much money finishing 9th-12th in a tournament??:D (teasing you).

That's a good looking pole you've got there. I play with an old Phillippi, which I bought from Bob Henning of BeBob Publishing (at the Q-Lympics tournament in Louisville), and had it refurbished. I use a 30" OB-1, 11.75 mm shaft with a Kamui tip.

Modesty prevents me from posting a picture, but most guys have heart palpitations when they see the cue.:)

~Doc

GoldCrown

Verified Member

Modesty prevents me from posting a picture, but most guys have heart palpitations when they see the cue.:)

~Doc

That's ok. We don't want to see it. We don't care. It's probably not that nice.

I'm full of soup....let's see it

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082

This is a really nice cue. Have you owned it long? It is identical to a SW I sold in Oct 2013. The details and specs are the same. Mine had light play despite a great hit. I just had too many things and tried to consolidate.

Based on this, I pretty much know how tis plays and it is very strong. Congratulations.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
bstroud

bstroud

Yes, I didn't mean the feel of the butt was insignificant in the stroke, but that it contributes nothing to the quality of the hit (beyond any positive psychological effect.) IOW, a $40 butt can feel as "right" as a $5000 one.

Just an opinion from a guy who can't tell the difference in play between a red circle and a measle ball. :eek:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Dustin, where did you get that much money finishing 9th-12th in a tournament??:D (teasing you).

That's a good looking pole you've got there. I play with an old Phillippi, which I bought from Bob Henning of BeBob Publishing (at the Q-Lympics tournament in Louisville), and had it refurbished. I use a 30" OB-1, 11.75 mm shaft with a Kamui tip.

~Doc

lol. all that cheddar wasn't mine. just thought it made for a cool picture. my personal stash (every single nickel of it at the time) is on the right side in small bills.....the rest, lets just say that it belonged to two gentlemen (that i know of anyway) and my task was to get it through the airport and manage it in a very specific and defined way for a rarely publicized game that occurred in NJ....:D (i didn't ask any questions, just did my job.....;))

quit being a tease doc, lets see that phillippi.....

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
This is a really nice cue. Have you owned it long? It is identical to a SW I sold in Oct 2013. The details and specs are the same. Mine had light play despite a great hit. I just had too many things and tried to consolidate.

Based on this, I pretty much know how tis plays and it is very strong. Congratulations.

hey phil, this cue is #330-09. i got it from greg antonakos - NY collector/dealer right after DCC in 2014.... i am on "the list" to get a couple more. i don't think anyone had ever hit a ball with this cue when i got it from greg (i don't know anything about its history, he told me the previous owner was a collector).

i did have SW turn the shafts down a bit - they were originally 13 mm. laurie franklin is a very nice person and also had a very educating conversation with mike bunker about the finer points of shaft construction.

that would be pretty cool if this is indeed a cue you once owned...