Cue Ball Hangs in Pocket, Then Falls In

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I was watching the Ghost play John Lavin on the stream at Red Shoes yesterday and Ghost shot, and the cue ball hung in the pocket for several seconds, then fell in.

After a little discussion, Ghost spotted a ball and John had ball in hand behind the line.

IMO they got it right because John had not come to the table. I believe if he was at the table when the cue ball fell, you would put the cue ball back on the table as close as possible in the pocket.

What do you think?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Five second rule?

Five second rule?

Doesn't the five second rule apply?

Falls before five seconds: scratch.

Falls after five seconds: replace.

pj
chgo

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Doesn't the five second rule apply?

Falls before five seconds: scratch.

Falls after five seconds: replace.

pj
chgo

Yes. I always thought it was five seconds also. Hey you. Start posting over here. Good to see you. wreck sports bill yards alumi

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It has always been leave the table or come to the table rules. If oppo comes to the table and the ball falls, it spots back up. Or leave the table and then it falls, it spots back up.

Beard

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
It has always been leave the table or come to the table rules. If oppo comes to the table and the ball falls, it spots back up. Or leave the table and then it falls, it spots back up.

Beard
Do you play it this way just for one pocket, or other games too?

pj
chgo

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Beard

John had not come to the table yet, but it probably was close to 5 seconds before the ball dropped.

I always thought if the player had not come to the table yet, it was a scratch. This is the way they called it.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
John had not come to the table yet, but it probably was close to 5 seconds before the ball dropped.

I always thought if the player had not come to the table yet, it was a scratch. This is the way they called it.

The part about, "When the player leaves the table, the inning is over," is a defense against people like me who would wait an inordinate amount of time to allow the ball to finally tumble into the pocket.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I was watching the Ghost play John Lavin on the stream at Red Shoes yesterday and Ghost shot, and the cue ball hung in the pocket for several seconds, then fell in.

After a little discussion, Ghost spotted a ball and John had ball in hand behind the line.

IMO they got it right because John had not come to the table. I believe if he was at the table when the cue ball fell, you would put the cue ball back on the table as close as possible in the pocket.

What do you think?

John, I do not recall anyone using a time limit, or 'approaching' or 'leaving' the table, as a determining factor !..I suppose they now have such a rule, but it is news to me !..A cue ball (or even an object ball) can hang precariously close to going in, for an indeterminable amount of time..Obviously, if the incoming player, rests his hands on the table, that can cause the ball to drop, as can the act of just walking near the ball.

Sometimes, just loudly screaming profanities, (such as, "Stay up MFer" or "Get in MFer") MAY cause sufficient vibration. ;)...Just as a hanging putt in golf, had obviously come to a complete stop, waiting for an act of God (earthquake, gust of wind) to render a decision, seems a bit much !

Once the ball had stopped, (a few seconds is usually adequate)..we never tried to determine what caused it to fall, we just automatically replaced it as close as possible to where it was !...That always seemed to be the fairest resolution to me.. MOST regular players (even amateur's) accepted it that way.. Rarely, (to my recollection) was there an argument otherwise !

Islandeddie

Verified Member
One hippopotamus

One hippopotamus

I count to five, aloud.

One hippopotamus, two hippopotamus. . .

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm playing my best buddy and he hangs a scratch shot. He stands up and says, "if that ball falls, its your scratch." I'm like, "Bull shit!"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The "5 second rule" guys have it right. This from the WPA rules, to which 1p.o defers when something is not covered in the 1p.o rules:

8.3 Ball Pocketed

...If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself.

So if the CB falls into the hole after more than 5 seconds, the CB is replaced as close as possible to where it was before. It doesn't matter if player X either stood there, or ran to his seat.:D If applicable the CB would have to stop spinning before the 5 second timing commenced.

Keep in mind, these are tournament rules. Y'all can play anyway you like at your room...;)

Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I wonder why not 6 seconds, or 4. Maybe because we have 5 fingers, and we all seem to love the number 5? And, is somebody getting a timer out? I can see it being enforced properly if a match was on video, assuming they allowed replay (which I am not advocating btw). It is just a totally flawed rule in so many ways.

Seriously, there have to be a better set of rules (out there in the ether) than these.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The "5 second rule" guys have it right. This from the WPA rules, to which 1p.o defers when something is not covered in the 1p.o rules:

8.3 Ball Pocketed

...If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself.

So if the CB falls into the hole after more than 5 seconds, the CB is replaced as close as possible to where it was before. It doesn't matter if player X either stood there, or ran to his seat.:D If applicable the CB would have to stop spinning before the 5 second timing commenced.

Keep in mind, these are tournament rules. Y'all can play anyway you like at your room...;)

Doc
That's the way I have always understood the rule to be, but of course I haven't been playing that long.:rolleyes: Anything else is "uncivilized" ;)

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That's the way I have always understood the rule to be, but of course I haven't been playing that long.:rolleyes: Anything else is "uncivilized" ;) Dr. Bill

Right you are, Billy. Last night I just happened to be watching an old Accustats video of Hopkins and Steve Cook from the 1990 Legends 1P. You and Grady were commentating. Your pairing was always such a great combination. Got me to thinking how I sure miss having Grady around.

Doc

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
I remember the "shot". It was certainly "close" (3 or 4 seconds ISH). I was watching the SHOT and thought the way the ball was reacting (speed) as it approached the pocket...I thought the cue ball was "in motion" ( NOT completely settled). Bruce and I play on a regular basis...so we don't "HUMBUG". One of the problems with the "5 second rule" is....who is watching the clock? "Nobody", that is the problem. As a "HOUSE GUY", I am called on to rule on THIS and other UNCLEAR situations on a regular basis. I use a combination of "factors" in making the CALL. "Approximately" how much TIME has passed and "positions and actions" of BOTH players prior to the "drop". Certainly "5 seconds" is more than enough time for a ball to stop moving.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
That's the way I have always understood the rule to be, but of course I haven't been playing that long.:rolleyes: Anything else is "uncivilized" ;)

Dr. Bill

Yes you overruled once when I was gambling with somebody and this came up. We asked your opinion. Ever since then when that happens I do just what another poster said..."1 thousand 1...1 thousand 2..." and so on. It comes up from time to time especially in one pocket.