Covid-19 era pool playing

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Went back to work 7 days ago, playing poker...
Omaha was limited to 8 players, but they played 9 handed hold-em... Go figure... Tables are the same size...

I’m here to tell you, most people don’t give a shit about the virus...
Most did not wear masks and not a single person was wearing gloves, just me...
I wore a nice “Figs” face mask ( cotton and very comfortable) and the blue toss away gloves that you see in the hospitals...
I know it’s dangerous, I sat at home for 94 str8 days before finally deciding to take the risk...
I have most of the underlying conditions which would make surviving difficult, if not impossible...

Here’s the thing guys, this virus and other virus’s are going to be with us... Nothing we can do as individuals to cure it, we can only help stop the spread... it’ll eventually go, or a vaccine will be found, but I don’t think I can hide from it anymore, it was getting to me, and to my wonderful wife who has not missed a single day of work because of the virus... When she asked me several days in a row, “Are you going to work today” I finally got tired of saying, “No.”

I’m not suggesting anyone else make the move, all I’m saying is people are gonna die, no matter what we do, people are gonna die...
It’s the natural order of things... perhaps that’s the way it will have to play out... I’ll be as safe as I possibly can be, but I’m through hiding from it!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, welcome to the sunny side of the street...;)

Are you back in Lake Charles?
Hey Doc,
Playing in a club called “52” on Richmond Ave. here in Houston...
Really no need to travel to Lake Charles anymore, all the people I went to Lake Charles to play with, are right here in Texas...
They have a deal there at “52”, show up at 11:00 am and one can play until 3:00 pm and it’s free, no time is charged...Plus there is no gate charge if you’re beyond 65 years old. So basically, I play with no rake and very little gasoline expense...

I am limiting my enclosed time so far, as I understand that’s primarily where the virus is mostly transferred between people... I play short periods (2/3 hours). and limit my exposure...

I feel ok about it, they have loads of hand sanitizer, and provide masks to those who want them... Few do...
And they have good security inside and out, which is reassuring... The receptionist takes everyone’s temperature before access is allowed and the tables are spaced 12 ft apart...

Hope you are doing well...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
We should all send out some prayers/well wishes...some of you may already know this...

Mark Griffin owner of Griff's poolroom, Las Vegas, has been in the hospital in pretty serious condition for the last 10 days after testing positive for having the Covid-19 - Griff's manager/pool player Gary Lutman also had it but has has mostly recovered...one other Griff's customer or employee also contracted it.

It's trying times for all of us to be able to play pool/one pocket, our passion, and stay safe at the same time, so we just do the best we can.

- Ghost

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Mark was sent to Phoenix where he had his lung transplants (or whatever he had a while back) so his doctors could take care of him, but I'm happy to report mark is now home and doing fine. This is what I read on Gary lutmans Facebook page. Whew.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Mark was sent to Phoenix where he had his lung transplants (or whatever he had a while back) so his doctors could take care of him, but I'm happy to report mark is now home and doing fine. This is what I read on Gary lutmans Facebook page. Whew.
I'm surprised you hang with Lutman....

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I last posted on this back in June, sorry to say not much has changed. We still have one room open with the same rules. Even though our county has implemented a mask rule, no one is using one. I have stopped playing since I have no confidence it's safe. While I really miss it and hope it will get back to normal someday for now it's all I can do.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'm surprised you hang with Lutman....
I don't, but I knew he would be updating Mark's health. I was right.

But Lutman did visit Match Ups several years ago. He won a $1k set against one person on the bar box and lost it back to another. We talked about playing one pocket but it never happened.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I don't, but I knew he would be updating Mark's health. I was right.

But Lutman did visit Match Ups several years ago. He won a $1k set against one person on the bar box and lost it back to another. We talked about playing one pocket but it never happened.
Please quit posting about Covid-19. That only atracts it. What would you pay for a mask that is comfortable to wear while playing pool?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Please quit posting about Covid-19. That only atracts it. What would you pay for a mask that is comfortable to wear while playing pool?
I paid $35...Sonomask by Sonovia with head straps. If you buy 10 it is $35 per, or $69 each.

Here's a quick video of me playing wearing the mask. I didn't quite get a shot of the head straps LOL

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I paid $35...Sonomask by Sonovia with head straps. If you buy 10 it is $35 per, or $69 each.

Here's a quick video of me playing wearing the mask. I didn't quite get a shot of the head straps LOL

Berry similar. Surgeons mask which you can loosen at the bottom. BTW, I don't shoot a lot when I talk.