Coronavirus and old geezers (like me and you)......

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Regarding the limited testing, I have come to my own conclusion that because the medical community does not have nearly enough test capacity available to test everyone who is sick (even if they have a known exposure) their highest priority (as it should be) is to only test those who are so sick and at high risk for hospitalization. And that is so the hospital knows for sure, not for the patient's edification. So far all of the anecdotal stories from my circle bear this out.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I wish there was some test that could reveal if you have already had it and gotten over it, like a few weeks ago..

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Regarding the limited testing, I have come to my own conclusion that because the medical community does not have nearly enough test capacity available to test everyone who is sick (even if they have a known exposure) their highest priority (as it should be) is to only test those who are so sick and at high risk for hospitalization. And that is so the hospital knows for sure, not for the patient's edification. So far all of the anecdotal stories from my circle bear this out.

My perspective is, to help prevent the spread of the virus, when you know for sure someone you were in contact with tested positive I’d like to know if I’m infected so I can better quarantine myself and stick to it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My perspective is, to help prevent the spread of the virus, when you know for sure someone you were in contact with tested positive I’d like to know if I’m infected so I can better quarantine myself and stick to it.
I know; no wonder there is so much fear -- hardly anybody has any way to know whether they have it or not, so of course they have to be fearful -- and careful.

The way I would try to look at it from the point of view of a healthy young person, that shows no symptoms and likes to believe they are clear (and who can blame them?), is we are all in this together, so be careful out of respect for the rest of us who might be a higher risk of serious consequences.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I know; no wonder there is so much fear -- hardly anybody has any way to know whether they have it or not, so of course they have to be fearful -- and careful.

The way I would try to look at it from the point of view of a healthy young person, that shows no symptoms and likes to believe they are clear (and who can blame them?), is we are all in this together, so be careful out of respect for the rest of us who might be a higher risk of serious consequences.

I’ll be 64 in June. I’m looking forward to next years Senior Tournament.
In the mean time I’ll try and ride my bicycle 5 or 6 times a week if MR. Wuhan doesn’t get me

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just to give you an idea of how serious this is for super seniors, just look at what happened at the Kirkland WA nursing home, Life Care Center. You can find this if you google -- i got it from the NY Times website:

As confirmed cases of Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, now surge across the country and overturn every facet of normal life, the troubled nursing home in Kirkland looks like a frightening preview of what could lie ahead.

Since the first positive tests at Life Care came back on Feb. 28, 129 people there — including 81 residents, about two-thirds of its population — have tested positive for the virus, and 35 people have died. Dozens of its workers have received coronavirus diagnoses, suggesting that the center’s frantic efforts to sanitize the building, quarantine residents and shield staff members with gowns and visors may have come too late.

“This caught them completely off guard,” Jim Whitney, the medical services administrator for the nearby Redmond Fire Department, said. “They just were not prepared for what was happening. None of us were.”

Do that math if you are not already nervous about this -- 81 residents, 35 deaths. Now there was also something like 180 staff people, and I don't know how many of the staff were among the dead, if any. But any way you slice it that is one hell of a disaster if it sweeps through a place like that without social distancing and quarantine measures!

warrenr

Verified Member
Does onepocket.org have someone can say that the Chicago tournament has been canceled?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
They say one of the first stages of the virus is delirium and fever

Attachments

• B8328FEF-BBA6-470A-AE79-D83F39B1E1D5.jpeg
    B8328FEF-BBA6-470A-AE79-D83F39B1E1D5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
nice mower I only got the x 350 but been draggin a bunch of wood up the hill to process for next winter. plowed out a 20 25 plot for personal garden and started finishing my wood shed. Great time to get those projects you been putting off