Consistency issues in the game

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I see how it's done, and where it go its name, but I don't get the part about not stiffing a bank with running. Does it have to do with deflection?

Probably because you're hitting across the CB.

P.S. No practice strokes, just doesn't work.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
No practice strokes, just doesn't work.

Yeah, I can see that.

OK, I decide where I want to hit the OB I want to bank with running; I line up center CB, then move back hand whatever distance it takes to apply the amount of outside I want to use; fire. Right? (Away from my table again so can't experiment now, but if you and Wayne thinks it has value I'm sure gonna check it out when I can.)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Yeah, I can see that.

OK, I decide where I want to hit the OB I want to bank with running; I line up center CB, then move back hand whatever distance it takes to apply the amount of outside I want to use; fire. Right? (Away from my table again so can't experiment now, but if you and Wayne thinks it has value I'm sure gonna check it out when I can.)

One half the width of a ferrule is 1 tip of English for my stroke.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
One half the width of a ferrule is 1 tip of English for my stroke.

Do you have an idea why backhand works differently?

I notice that several of the good players practice stroke at one place on the CB and hit it somewhere else. Several of the Pinoys practice stroke bottom-center on almost every shot. Rob Saez practice strokes bottom left. Do these qualify as "backhand"?

Wayne

Verified Member
Do you have an idea why backhand works differently?

I notice that several of the good players practice stroke at one place on the CB and hit it somewhere else. Several of the Pinoys practice stroke bottom-center on almost every shot. Rob Saez practice strokes bottom left. Do these qualify as "backhand"?

Do a search for "backhand english pool" and you will get some videos and explanations.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Tried this today. Made a tight Straightback that I usually get a kiss on first try. Definitely warrants further exploration.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Do a search for "backhand english pool" and you will get some videos and explanations.

Thanks Wayne.

I looked it over and couldn't tell whether there was anything to it other than compensating for deflection, and Rod's "to keep from stiffing a bank with running" implies it's at least that.

I play only LD shafts -- OB and Predator. Would that suggest to you I'd be just as well off without the backhand method, or is there more to it than adjustments for deflection?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tried this today. Made a tight Straightback that I usually get a kiss on first try. Definitely warrants further exploration.

Really? I mean Really!

Can't wait to mess with it and see whether I notice anything helpful.

Sounds like the tight straightback was inside english, right?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Really? I mean Really!

Can't wait to mess with it and see whether I notice anything helpful.

Sounds like the tight straightback was inside english, right?

Yeah. Really. It felt weird though lol

Actually no. It was soft (for position) and with outside English.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
No, but if I bust him I'll take a page out of FastEddie's programme and buy him all the $2 hotdogs he can eat. :heh

I sense a degree of uncertainty there. You know, if the music is just right, I'm unstoppable.

Attachments

• dave_alter_ego.png
    dave_alter_ego.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 0

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
You should have to give everyone a ball just to compensate for the pain of watchin' it. :eek:

Actually I was thinkin of charging an appearance fee as well as a fee for spectators to catch my moves. I've a feelin it would be pretty lucrative.:D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Actually I was thinkin of charging an appearance fee as well as a fee for spectators to catch my moves. I've a feelin it would be pretty lucrative.:D

If I have to count on that as the source of your income to keep me in cash, I'm gonna have to reorder my priorities.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
If I have to count on that as the source of your income to keep me in cash, I'm gonna have to reorder my priorities.

Master Kan: "Perhaps the proper conclusion one can come to is not to come easily to conclusions"
-- Episode No. 40

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX

Yes, but your bridge needs to be at the proper distance from the CB to create the right pivot point for your cue so that the throw compensates for the squirt. Speed affects the equation as well. If there's a way to factor in masse, I'd love to hear it - I can't make BHE work at all if my cue isn't level.

Check out "Front Hand English" as well. YouTube Dr. Dave on BHE/FHE; he explains these concepts in detail.

I'm not going to presume to lecture anyone on this forum, but the process of learning to use BHE/FHE is such a sublime joy, after years of frustration trying to maintain accuracy while applying English. I used to adjust my point of delivery on the CB via feel alone when I was compensating for English and I was never really confident. I would initially set up for a centerball hit, then parallel my cue over to my desired English point of contact, then pivot my back hand whatever amount felt right to compensate for the squirt. Finding your cue's pivot point takes so much guesswork out.