Congratulations Jeff Sparks!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I am going to ask for a ball from both of them when I get there in a few weeks.:D That is a sign of respect.

Yeah, that, and......... damned alzheimer's, can't think of that word that starts with a "g".... gourd, geared, grade, greek. Nope....... Dammit!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Congratulations Jeff. The Super Seniors are a devious bunch for sure. I thought this tournament was to be a revolving city tournament. Really makes it tough for the West Coasters to get there and Houston. Oh well, have camera, will travel.

I tossed out a proposal that we have two per year: one at Lacy's and one roving the country. I hear there are several rooms that have indicated they want us. I like the sound of Vegas if Mark Griffin would have us, Hard Times and HOB, and there are good rooms in North Carolina, Pennsylvania and several other places that have been mentioned. Scott's new room in Phoenix is a possibility.

We've still got bugs to work out (we made a couple of mistakes on qualifications, we need a dedicated TD, and we need Zach, if he's to do them, to stream all the time that matches are going. He missed two good, important ones early morning. I hear the stream was good and no doubt we appreciate his doing it. He has technology to do some things that will be cool (multiple simultaneous matches, etc.) and the price was exactly right. :)

Hey, does anybody else think Joe Long's commentary is about as good as it gets? I told him he should consider doing it full time. I figure he could make at least a couple of hundred bucks a week!

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Jeff Sparks, you old fart...;) I like the way you think and play and you'll be super tough to beat from here on out..great playing.

Dr. Bill

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Super effort Tall Jeff, watched most of the stream, you played like a winner. keith

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Congratulations, Jeff! I could not stay awake to see the end, you were deserving. I was not able to see most of the tourney but what I saw at the end, the quality of play was very high.

And, congrats to all who played and helped put this on, great job.

Dave

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thank you all..

I am humbled by the victory and very grateful to be part of such a great group of people here at Onepocket.org... Since becoming a member a little over a year ago, I have had the great pleasure of renewing many old friendships and making several new ones which I believe will last into the foreseeable future...

There is nothing quite like having friends who understand you... We here at Onepocket.org are more than friends, we are family, we are a fraternity of kindred souls enjoying each other through a game we are learning and a game we all love...

Without the tireless efforts of Disco Dave, LSJohn, and Steve Booth, this event would just have been a pipe dream, they made it happen...

Without the wholehearted participation of our fellow members from all over the country, we would still be just talking about having the event...

Having Frank volunteer Lacy's Cue and Sports Bar was a dream come true..
Without the help of fellow members Art Tripp, Joey A., Jim T. and Casey Killian
this wonderful venue might not have been possible...

Without Zack's talent and tremendous support we would not have had the ability to showcase this event to other members...

I will cherish the memory of this event the rest of my days...

Thank you all...:)

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Congratulations Jeff. You played like a champion even though I know you must have been worn out. You've got some kind of firepower ole buddy.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Just heard that Jeff won the First Annual 1P event after marathon late night play. Congratulations Jeff!

After a long grueling battle with Newkirk, the match with our man Casey must have been a gun fight with two sharp shooters! And it was nice of James Christopher to then agree to one short race, given the lateness of the hour.

Looks like the Super Seniors took down the top four spots. It'll take y'all a day or two to rest up.:)

The tournament went longer than it needed to. If it's at Lacy's next year (Frank has already offered, and will put in bleachers, TV table, etc.) I'd suggest playing most of the events on the normal 4-1/2" pocket tables, and if desired, use one of the 4-1/8" tables for the streaming pit.

All of the matches on the super tight front tables went long; some, super long. Therefore the tournament went later than it ought to have. In my view, super tight tables are for pros only. There were no pros in this event. The small pockets, plus the natural humidity in the South combined to make the tables play super tough.

But it was a great inaugural event. Congratulations to everyone who played, and to all the behind the scenes guys who took their time and expense to make it happen!

~Doc

Good post... I was delighted Tall Jeff prevailed. I was sort of pulling for someone who was a real poster on this board to win. Watched a good bit of it and it looked great on full screen. I happen to tune in right near the start of Sniper and Mitch B's match one time. Ended up watching their whole match. Watched Jeff's last two matches for sure, also. Excellent. I also think that playing two matches the first day and using 4 1/2's, with a good TD would be preferable, but that's up to them. I liked it a lot.....

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Mving vs. Shooting ?

Mving vs. Shooting ?

First, John, I will be 68 Saturday, Tom W will be 65 in Nov.

I think it was about 50/50 split on what I would consider senior players vs younger guys.

But, if you look at the order of finish, it makes you think that one pocket is more about knowledge from years of playing it and a good portion of still being able to shoot fairly straight.

That is another reason onehole is such a great game. You can play it til you lose your eyesight or get a bad case of the yips, as they say in golf.

I know that when I started playing onepocket with the 50- 70 year old players in Ft. Worth, I was about 23-24 years old. Then it was considered an old man sport(game). Now, it is very popular with the younger players, very popular.

I can only imagine the skill level it will take in the future when all the future young guns learn how play and elevate each others game.:D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
First, John, I will be 68 Saturday, Tom W will be 65 in Nov.

OK, OK, but you're still young whippersnappers to me. :D

You, Tom, Jeff and James impress me most with your straight shooting.... not as consistent as you used to be, but still better than 90% of serious pool players. Congratulations to all four of you. Any of those matches between you could go either way on any day.

Robert, you crazy SOB, you are a joy to spend time with for us pool players, but how you convinced your beautiful wife to stick with you is beyond me. She can't possibly be as intelligent as she seemed to me. :D