Congratulations Jeff Sparks!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just heard that Jeff won the First Annual 1P event after marathon late night play. Congratulations Jeff!

After a long grueling battle with Newkirk, the match with our man Casey must have been a gun fight with two sharp shooters! And it was nice of James Christopher to then agree to one short race, given the lateness of the hour.

Looks like the Super Seniors took down the top four spots. It'll take y'all a day or two to rest up.:)

The tournament went longer than it needed to. If it's at Lacy's next year (Frank has already offered, and will put in bleachers, TV table, etc.) I'd suggest playing most of the events on the normal 4-1/2" pocket tables, and if desired, use one of the 4-1/8" tables for the streaming pit.

All of the matches on the super tight front tables went long; some, super long. Therefore the tournament went later than it ought to have. In my view, super tight tables are for pros only. There were no pros in this event. The small pockets, plus the natural humidity in the South combined to make the tables play super tough.

But it was a great inaugural event. Congratulations to everyone who played, and to all the behind the scenes guys who took their time and expense to make it happen!

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, players were exhausted toward the end and that was a factor in the late games, along with the toughness of the tables as Doc has mentioned. The two finalists agreed to one race to three, but Jeff, the gentleman that he is, has asked that the top two be considered co-champions, since he was the player going into the finals with one loss.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Congratulations to all who hung in there, and especially Jeff, James and K. C. Like Doc said, this was a grueling tournament on tough equipment. Jeff came with some shots when needed and prevailed.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Jeff the grinder

Jeff the grinder

Congrats Ole Son !

You're in the big time now. :)

The old man from the mountain is coming for you. :eek:

There will be no spots now that you're famous.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Awesome job, Jeff! I'm glad to have met you (and many others) and very impressed by your game.

Cory

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Congratulations Jeff.

No one has commented on your secret weapon yet. But I'm gonna let the cat outta the bag.:sorry Jeff played with a mid cue extension (looked like) on his cue. I play with one of these and wouldn't play without it anymore.

I feel this addition gives you more reach, provides a more forward balance to the cue, additional weight makes hitting the ball easier (less effort), and stableizes your stroke a bit.

dgee99x

Congrats on an awesome win Jeff! I told you before you left town I thought you were going to finish in the cash. Don't think I haven't noticed the secret to your success...beer and pizza!!

My wife also sends her congrats. She was able to sleep without my snoring until 2am this morning.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Congrats to you Jeff and to all who made it happen. You should be proud of yourselves and the way you all pulled together.
Some dont know but Jeff is not inexperienced when it comes down to top battles. He has faced some of the best players in the poker world and come away with some top scores. It is fitting that he could march his way to being the first Onepocket.org champ.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Congrats Ole Son !

You're in the big time now. :)

The old man from the mountain is coming for you. :eek:

There will be no spots now that you're famous.

I am going to ask for a ball from both of them when I get there in a few weeks.:D That is a sign of respect.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Congratulations Jeff.

No one has commented on your secret weapon yet. But I'm gonna let the cat outta the bag.:sorry Jeff played with a mid cue extension (looked like) on his cue. I play with one of these and wouldn't play without it anymore.

I feel this addition gives you more reach, provides a more forward balance to the cue, additional weight makes hitting the ball easier (less effort), and stableizes your stroke a bit.

I wonder where he got that thing. (I will be looking for a little jelly or at least a Bud Light).:D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nice job Jeff!!

Now I know the spot I asked for its more than fair :) thanks for letting me escape with my money.

Seriously though you play awful well for picking up the game so late in your pool career...here's to many more victories for you to come!

Great job James, KC and all who finished in the cheese!

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Congratulations Jeff. The Super Seniors are a devious bunch for sure. I thought this tournament was to be a revolving city tournament. Really makes it tough for the West Coasters to get there and Houston. Oh well, have camera, will travel.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Looks like the Super Seniors took down the top four spots. It'll take y'all a day or two to rest up.

Yep, and fourth place was Robert Newkirk, age 65(?)

5/6th Tom Wirth, 67(?)

Looks like it suggests that seasoning matters. :) (But not automatically... cinnamon and paprika would work better than the seasoning I've got. :eek: )

BTW, I can't guarantee this, but I think I heard someone say he was told by one of the waitresses that John Rizzo and TroutmanMo spent all night Friday on Bourbon Street and had to be poured out of a cab into Lacy's parking lot just in time for their Saturday matches. If it wasn't for that, we'd probably have had two MORE Super Seniors with top finishes (Those guys can REALLY play when they're not hung over and runnin' on fumes.)

Honest, I'm almost pretty sure about some of that. :heh