Commentary

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
McCain and Obama have nothing on me. I'm campaigning too.
The IPT is having a challenge match of Straight Pool between John Schmidt and Mike Sigel in L.A. later this month. On their site, www.internationalpooltour.com they have listed four people for you to choose who will do the commentating. It's all explained there including the fact that you can vote once a day from each computer. For those of you who have said you like my work, I'd greatly appreciate your support.

hindoo

Verified Member
Avalanche Selection

Avalanche Selection

I cannot imagine anyone other than candidate Mathews in that designated slot.

ragbug74

Verified Member
From
Portage, Indiana
Grady, you've got my vote, and apparently the votes of quite a few others. When I voted this morning, you were waaaaay ahead of the pack, capturing 69% of the vote. Vote early, vote often!

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
pols

pols

Got to be the man himself or the Cincinnati Kid.Never mind,I went back to 1966 for a second.....I vote for Grady,then Nick then Danny.Thanks for the news G........cheers,Bob

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Congrats my friend, you got it!!!

You did tell them you have to have your assisant, the Pelican, accompany you (expenses paid of course). ;)

Look forward to watching and listening to your commentary.

Pel

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Thank you.

Thank you.

Although it's not been announced on the IPT site, I received a call to say I had been selected to do the commentary in LA on June 24th. Thanks to all of you who voted for me. I appreciate your support.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Way to go, Grady! Looking forward to your usual excellent commentary. Be sure that they have you miked properly. Last time your voice volume was too low.

Doc

Deeman

Verified Member
Does Mike have a chance?

Does Mike have a chance?

Anyone think Mike can hang with John today in 14.1? I know he was one of the all time greats but John shoots awful straight and has those young eyes.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
What do I think?

What do I think?

Mike won at least four World Straight Pool Championships and has three 150 and out runs in those competitions. There never has been a better all around player than Mike Sigel. He could play for money, too.
John Schmidt, while a fine player, has a long way to go, to be in Sigel's class, IMHO. He has won no World 14.1 titles and hasn't beaten a top player for money either. Alex isn't in the class of a Hohman or a Souquet.
OK, it's only a 125 point game and Mike is considerably older but like I said, John has a long, long way to be considered in Mike Sigel's company.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn

Amen Grady.....Mike was the man for some time,especially 14.1.......should be good....thanks,Bob

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Too bad they're not playing one-pocket! Although Schmidt would probably be the favorite in that one. Not sure how much one-pocket Sigel has played.

It'll be nice to see these two great players playing 14.1, but of course one game to 125 is silly. Either man is capable of running out the set. I'd like to see a minimum of three races to 100, or one race to 400. That way either guy would have a chance to recoup a mistake.

BTW, who will be in the booth with Grady?

Doc

Deeman

Verified Member
Grady said:
Mike won at least four World Straight Pool Championships and has three 150 and out runs in those competitions. There never has been a better all around player than Mike Sigel. He could play for money, too.
John Schmidt, while a fine player, has a long way to go, to be in Sigel's class, IMHO. He has won no World 14.1 titles and hasn't beaten a top player for money either. Alex isn't in the class of a Hohman or a Souquet.
OK, it's only a 125 point game and Mike is considerably older but like I said, John has a long, long way to be considered in Mike Sigel's company.

All good points and I know John would certainly agree he can't compare his career with Mike's. I just thought after watching John play, he might have an edge in shotmaking with his youth compared to Mike's not having competed in 14.1 competition in many years. I still have a tape of Mike running 150 and, you are right, he was incredible. Let's hope he still has the edge just for us old timers. :)

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Grady said:

Grady,
Sincere congratulations on you being voted in as the commentator. That certainly "adds luster and prestige to this august event" (I learned how to talk like that while you schooled us on Accu-Stats! :D

John Schmidt did win what is widely considered the 2003 World 14.1 Championship. And I KNOW you remember this event....:)

Legends of Straight Pool
September 6 - 7, 2003
Sheraton Hotel
Columbia, SC

Place Player Name Prize Money
1st place John Schmidt $4,400.00
2nd place Dan Barouty $3,300.00
3rd place Mark Gregory $2,200.00
4th place Danny Harriman $1,600.00
5th place Ray Martin $1,000.00
5th place Max Eberle $1,000.00
7th place Danny Diliberto $600.00
7th place Scott Rabon $600.00
9th place Carlos Vierra $225.00
9th place Fabio Petroni $225.00
9th place Dick Lane $225.00
9th place Dallas West $225.00

Also, a question for you. When you said "There never has been a better all around player than Mike Sigel.", do you consider him a better ALL-AROUND player than Nick or Efren? As always, I'm so interested in your thoughts.

Grady, our very best to you and Randi! And I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself
on the 24th.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
My answer to Terry's question

My answer to Terry's question

The Billiards Digest ran a sham of a thing getting votes as to who was the century's finest all-around cueist. The final results were ludicrous. Firstly, to answer your query properly, one must have a hypothesis which clearly states what is all-around material. For me, being an American pool player, it's One Pocket, 14.1 and 9 Ball. The length of one's career figures mightily into the calculation, too.
I made Mike Sigel and Nick Varner tied for first, the year of our lord ending 2000. After that, Efren, Parica and Bustamonte entered my consideration for best all-around player. Many players didn't merit my scrutiny because, while they were and are great champions, they only played two games; to wit: Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, Ralph Souquet, etc.
Congrats to John Schmidt if he did win a big 14.1 tournament, but if it didn't feature me and others of my ilk, I don't even put it on my list for great accomplishment. John did win the U.S. Open 9 Ball tournament, a wonderful feat. Since we're talking about that, Sigel won it 6 times.
I don't know if my efforts will do anything, probably not but I hate industry politics and invitationals. I intend to fight til' I die that sort of thing.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Grady said:
The Billiards Digest ran a sham of a thing getting votes as to who was the century's finest all-around cueist. The final results were ludicrous. Firstly, to answer your query properly, one must have a hypothesis which clearly states what is all-around material. For me, being an American pool player, it's One Pocket, 14.1 and 9 Ball. The length of one's career figures mightily into the calculation, too.
I made Mike Sigel and Nick Varner tied for first, the year of our lord ending 2000. After that, Efren, Parica and Bustamonte entered my consideration for best all-around player. Many players didn't merit my scrutiny because, while they were and are great champions, they only played two games; to wit: Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, Ralph Souquet, etc.
Congrats to John Schmidt if he did win a big 14.1 tournament, but if it didn't feature me and others of my ilk, I don't even put it on my list for great accomplishment. John did win the U.S. Open 9 Ball tournament, a wonderful feat. Since we're talking about that, Sigel won it 6 times.
I don't know if my efforts will do anything, probably not but I hate industry politics and invitationals. I intend to fight til' I die that sort of thing.

That's a fantastic post Professor. Many thanks for the thoughtful response!

Also, I hope the next step for you is a permanant slot at ESPN and, in response to your last sentence, I hope you have another 30+ years left in you! I think Jimmy Caras was the longest living World Champion, passing at the age of 91. Here's hoping you top that. :)