Cliff Joyner

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
In his prime, which is probably 10 years roughly from '96-'06 ....

How would you rate his "A" game against the likes of Alex, Dennis, Tony and the best of today.

Who would you put your money on?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
In 2003 or 2004 at DCC, Efren was giving him 9-7 or 8-7 (I don't remember) for a pretty large stack. The set was close but Efren won if that answers your question. I think Alex in his prime would give Cliff the hardest match-up.

I got to watch Cliff in the late 90's play some fairly good sized money matches with different people and I never saw him win. Not because he wasn't a great player, but he used to give up too much weight.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I saw him beat dippy dave. I feel he was an extremely tenacious willing and patient enough to give any one a tough time whether he won or lost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
In 2003 or 2004 at DCC, Efren was giving him 9-7 or 8-7 (I don't remember) for a pretty large stack. The set was close but Efren won if that answers your question. I think Alex in his prime would give Cliff the hardest match-up.

Dave, they played 2 or 3 years in a row - the spot was 8-7....it was always the most anticipated action match at the DCC.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave, they played 2 or 3 years in a row - the spot was 8-7....it was always the most anticipated action match at the DCC.
It was great to watch, they were both monsters. The year I sweated them was when Efren made some kind of back cut and 3 cushion shot with the cue ball for the win. Scott Frost was betting on Efren and jumped up celebrating before the ball fell in the hole. Just added to the spectacle. Wow!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I got to watch Cliff in the late 90's play some fairly good sized money matches with different people and I never saw him win. Not because he wasn't a great player, but he used to give up too much weight.
The ones I saw were 8-7 and fantastic matches!! Maybe the best One Pocket I have ever seen!!! Cliff was great at that time and was known for giving really big spots, before players like Alex stepped into that -- at least that is the way I remember it.

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
he was one of the best.
the last four years at dcc i have hung out with him, we have become good buds, we would work out, that's what he called practice,lol.
i am sorry i missed him in his prime, ever since his stroke in 2018?, he has trouble executing, but all the knowledge is there. our work outs help me get in the money, this year, if only we lived closer to each other.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Cliff really should be concentrating on giving lessons as opposed to playing. He has so much to offer anyone interested in improving their game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
that is a great idea
maybe someone close to him jealous 44 maybe
could talk to him about marketing himself about that

Kybanks

Verified Member
I used to go to the Derby to just watch him play 1 pocket. He really could play! Almost every time I watched him, he was giving a huge spot and out running it. He lagged banks to his hole better than anyone I've ever seen.

#Cruncher

Verified Member
I second KY banks statement. Cliff’s banks very rarely left the jaws of the pocket.

baby huey

Verified Member
I played Cliff once at my room in Ventura. This was back about a dozen years ago when I had my best game. He gave me 9/7-10/7 and it was all I could handle. He came ahead a couple of games. I don't think we said more than a few words to each other during the match. Loved his game. Constant pressure and he always shot the right shot. We played unlimited fouls and one game he had seven fouls and I had four fouls. That game took over three hours to play and of course it came down to the last ball and he back cut a spot shot for the win. Most recently I saw him in DCC and he had a pronounced limp from his stroke. We talked and I could tell he had lost his stamina and skills. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets his game back. WHAT A PLAYER HE WAS................

Matt_24

Verified Member
I can get in-stroke just watching Cliff play. Really like his style. He can make those Meucci's sing.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I forget exactly when it was but I am guessing somewhere around 1994/1995, but he came to Beechmont Billiards in Cincinnati to hang out for maybe a week or so, get in some action, play around, etc. I am pretty sure I matched up with him during that time but like all real good players, I would play any top player (cheap) even when I know I had no chance at all even with a spot, just to try and learn and get better. He was for sure one of the best in his prime, that is for certain! I sure hope he can teach or get to compete again at the top levels and enjoy the game he put so much time into!

alpodog

Verified Member
I played Cliff once at my room in Ventura. This was back about a dozen years ago when I had my best game. He gave me 9/7-10/7 and it was all I could handle. He came ahead a couple of games. I don't think we said more than a few words to each other during the match. Loved his game. Constant pressure and he always shot the right shot. We played unlimited fouls and one game he had seven fouls and I had four fouls. That game took over three hours to play and of course it came down to the last ball and he back cut a spot shot for the win. Most recently I saw him in DCC and he had a pronounced limp from his stroke. We talked and I could tell he had lost his stamina and skills. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets his game back. WHAT A PLAYER HE WAS................
He was at the DCC this year and played. I loved watching him. He's not back yet, but I'm hopeful.

baby huey

Verified Member
Cliff was more of a Grinder than a top offensive mind. He certainly would be a through back to what we now call "Old School." But his Old School was really top shelf. Can you imagine him playing some hot shot nine ball player who didn't understand the moves and played him. It would end with Cliff showing all the offense and the hotshot scratching his head.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Cliff was more of a Grinder than a top offensive mind. He certainly would be a through back to what we now call "Old School." But his Old School was really top shelf. Can you imagine him playing some hot shot nine ball player who didn't understand the moves and played him. It would end with Cliff showing all the offense and the hotshot scratching his head.
I agree he could move well, but mostly I remember him giving really good players 10 -7 or even
11- 7 and just running out every time they made a mistake.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I agree he could move well, but mostly I remember him, giving really good players 10 -7, or even
11- 7, and just running out, every time they made a mistake.
Usually from places, I would have bet no one on the planet, would run out from.
I did not have that attitude for long, around him, though.