Chris /alex 2011 Semi #1

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Rodney,

Just to make sure, I will accept ONLY your word...Unless it was put in after I left..I don't remember there ever being a 5 X 10 pool table at the LeCue..(or anywhere else in Houston for that matter)

Sometimes some people's mind play tricks on them, when they start approaching their 2nd childhood. I also notice, Mr. Stroud's name has not been removed from the (now somewhat tainted) B**t L**t...:rolleyes:

It is getting harder and harder to tell fact from fiction..Jes' sayin'...:p
 

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,163
SJDinPHX said:
Rodney,

Just to make sure, I will accept ONLY your word...Unless it was put in after I left..I don't remember there ever being a 5 X 10 pool table at the LeCue..(or anywhere else in Houston for that matter)

Sometimes some people's mind play tricks on them, when they start approaching their 2nd childhood. I also notice, Mr. Stroud's name has not been removed from the (now somewhat tainted) B**t L**t...:rolleyes:

It is getting harder and harder to tell fact from fiction..Jes' sayin'...:p
Yes their was. They added pool rails to a 5x10 snooker table. It was straight ahead when you came in from the stairs or elevator. It was a tough table !
That Greg was something. :p :D
Rod.
PS. It was added after you were run out of town for being
"Drunk and Disorderly" ;)
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Talk about reaching....

Talk about reaching....

SJDinPHX said:
Rodney,

Just to make sure, I will accept ONLY your word...Unless it was put in after I left..I don't remember there ever being a 5 X 10 pool table at the LeCue..(or anywhere else in Houston for that matter)

Even for a prissy crumb like you, trying to discredit whether or not there was a 5 x 10 in Houston or not, is really a reach.

Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me, when I start approaching my 2nd childhood.

Well said. Well said. Finally some truth.

I also notice, Mr. Stroud's name has not been removed from the now uncontested (by Vapros for sure) B**t L**t...:rolleyes:

Another good observation. Thank you.

It is getting harder and harder for me to turn fact into fiction..Jes' sayin'...:p
I sympathize with you in that regard. Your relevancy is vanishing quicker than your stroke.


Enough said.

Beard

Oh I forgot, have you contacted your "good friends," Ronnie and Eddie Kelly yet? Or Cole Dickson or Grady? Oh, you have? And they couldnt help your jealous crusade out? Not even for a "pal" like you? That's too bad.
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,880
sorry to get back on the topic of the thread :rolleyes:
the discussions were getting so interesting:eek: :D
chris went off the solid ball and left alex an open shot at the 8 ball
i presume he was trying to come 2 diamonds up the long rail and leave some blockers



also like bill said alex then tried to get the cueball after making the 8 go into the bottom of 4? ball lined up on the spot
the youtube link is stopping at about 10:22 into the match so i cant show you alexs reply but heres what chris shot and how he left alex
ac2.jpg

ac4.jpg
 

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,399
His reply makes a lot of sense. He basically took the only ball that had a clear path to the pocket out of play. All of the other balls are guarded by the three balls on the spot leaving only the ball near Chris's pocket for a bank without much reward.
I'm sure his thought was to minimize the damage that Alex could do.
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,880
Frank Almanza said:
His reply makes a lot of sense. He basically took the only ball that had a clear path to the pocket out of play. All of the other balls are guarded by the three balls on the spot leaving only the ball near Chris's pocket for a bank without much reward.
I'm sure his thought was to minimize the damage that Alex could do.
frank good reasoning:)
i was puzzled by chris's shot because i couldnt figure out why you would let someone like alex have a free open shot at his pocket
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Sorry lll,

Sorry lll,

But the subject had already been covered well with Billy S's solution. If you recall, it was Mr Mxyzptlk, who hijacked some sensible conversations about shot selection. Just as soon as I started talking about basic strategy, he panicked and came with the knocking detour.

He doesnt even know how to spell basic strategy. (He really doesnt. He spells it, basic stratagy.) No wonder he wants to change the subject.

Beard
 

Cary

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
866
SJDinPHX said:
Rodney,

Just to make sure, I will accept ONLY your word...Unless it was put in after I left..I don't remember there ever being a 5 X 10 pool table at the LeCue..(or anywhere else in Houston for that matter)

Sometimes some people's mind play tricks on them, when they start approaching their 2nd childhood. I also notice, Mr. Stroud's name has not been removed from the (now somewhat tainted) B**t L**t...:rolleyes:

It is getting harder and harder to tell fact from fiction..Jes' sayin'...:p
There were two 5x10's in a dump of a room out on Longpoint near where it runs into Hempstead Hwy at least from '62-'66. Spent most of my high school years on one or the other. I don't really remember if LeCue had any 10 footers or not. The one in the Village didn't (they let me play) can't say about the one downtown (they would only let me watch--cuz of my age they said).
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,880
fred bentivegna said:
But the subject had already been covered well with Billy S's solution. If you recall, it was Mr Mxyzptlk, who hijacked some sensible conversations about shot selection. Just as soon as I started talking about basic strategy, he panicked and came with the knocking detour.

He doesnt even know how to spell basic strategy. (He really doesnt. He spells it, basic stratagy.) No wonder he wants to change the subject.

Beard
Freddy,
no worries with the hijack
it is frustrating that the "educational";) :D threads get side tracked
(i'll let everyone decide for themselves what part of the thread has been "educational:eek: "
but ive gotten used to it
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,880
Cary (they would only let me watch--cuz of my age they said).[/QUOTE said:
they probably deserve some thanks.
might have saved you some money:)
maybe ...i dont know:)
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,189
bstroud said:
The trick here is to not leave a shot on the eight ball and hopefully hide the ball by your pocket. The 10 ball?

I would probably shoot the right side of the 1 ball and leave the cue ball by the balls near the side pocket.

Even if you leave a shot where he can remove the 10 ball, look at the overall situation.

The next shot you shoot the 8 ball in his pocket and put the cue ball up table opposite your pocket. You will be in good shape.

Bill Stroud
This is a good shot choice.

I would look at going into the brown stripe next to the 1 and trying to freeze on the 1, just a bit above center, if the shot is there which it looks like it is.

In a tight spot like this I prefer to not send the cb to get behind something else, but to hit something close with control.

Live to shoot another inning and maybe get a shot at moving the ball from his hole.

I realize it is Pagalyan, but still...

Skin
 
Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Messages
7,295
Frank Almanza said:
His reply makes a lot of sense. He basically took the only ball that had a clear path to the pocket out of play. All of the other balls are guarded by the three balls on the spot leaving only the ball near Chris's pocket for a bank without much reward.
I'm sure his thought was to minimize the damage that Alex could do.

Frank, I don't believe that Chris would intentionally give up a shot on the 8 ball, it just doesn't make much sense when you consider that Mr. Strouds shot is available. There are two schools of thought in situations like this one when you have a relatively simple solution (Strouds shot) for the exact reasons that he described, or a more difficult but much more rewarding shot in the shot imo that I think Chris tried. I believe Chris tried to snooker Alex by repositioning the cue ball within the 1 3/4 to the 2 1/4 dia. mark along the side rail, using the 15 ball as a blocker. If this shot is executed well Alex would than be in big trouble, if not you don't figure to give up more than the 8 ball.

Imo I think Chris played the professional side of the shot that I described and hit it fat, I don't see Chris making Alex's job an easy one by allowing him to pocket the 8 ball and possibly get a few more, or pocket the 8 ball and clean house.

Billy I.
 
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,763
Skin said:
This is a good shot choice.

I would look at going into the brown stripe next to the 1 and trying to freeze on the 1, just a bit above center, if the shot is there which it looks like it is.

In a tight spot like this I prefer to not send the cb to get behind something else, but to hit something close with control.

Live to shoot another inning and maybe get a shot at moving the ball from his hole.

I realize it is Pagalyan, but still...

Skin
I like the idea of that too, but, I can tell you that what I don't like about it is that it leaves a situation where Alex can safely build on his own position when Chris currently holds by far the strongest position. At the moment, Alex only has one ball near his hole and Chris has by far the stronger position overall. If you duck on "the wrong side of the balls" (which is what Stroud's shot and yours would be) then you are inviting Alex to add more balls near his pocket -- all the while continuing to snooker Chris from any clean shots to his own pocket. Sure, you live another inning, but there goes your advantage.
 

Cary

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
866
lll said:
they probably deserve some thanks.
might have saved you some money:)
maybe ...i dont know:)
They weren't always as attentive as they should have been. Since I wasn't supposed to play, for the most part I only went there during the annual 9-ball tournament and then usually to watch the big names after hours. I remember losing $100 to Eddie Parker. A lot of money in '64 for a 16 yr. old.
 

Cary

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
866
lll said:
sorry to get back on the topic of the thread :rolleyes:
the discussions were getting so interesting:eek: :D
chris went off the solid ball and left alex an open shot at the 8 ball
i presume he was trying to come 2 diamonds up the long rail and leave some blockers



also like bill said alex then tried to get the cueball after making the 8 go into the bottom of 4? ball lined up on the spot
the youtube link is stopping at about 10:22 into the match so i cant show you alexs reply but heres what chris shot and how he left alex
View attachment 3545

View attachment 3546
Sorry about the hijack I'll stop now.
FWIW the video played ok for me. You might want to try again. It only gets better from here.
 

Island Drive

Verified Member
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
3,920
So where can you go wrong in thread #7? Keep in mind, after you clip the striped ball on the long rail....this ball is Very close to the rail.... your ability to control the movement of the yellow ball to the left (6-8'') is very good, all because your so close to the first ball being contacted that your makability percentage is soley based on speed, and being so close to the striped ball, this is a High % shot, at worst he'll be straight in on the 8. I like moving the yellow ball as it adds more play to my side of the table.
 
Top