Chicago's Horace "Watusi Slim" Pollard

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Another legendary Chicago one pocket player, Horace "Watusi Slim" Pollard, passed away a few days ago. "Watusi" was very tall, always slender and in the target area of 77 years young. He was soft spoken and a gentleman. He was known all throughout Chicagoland for well over 50 years since the ol' days of Bensinger's in Chicago and the Billiard Room in Cicero to the more recent days of Chris's in Chicago to Red Shoes in Alsip. "Watusi" played all over and played everyone for the cash. He was always "action." The last time I had seen "Watusi" was several months ago looking "fit as a fiddle" while gambling in a one-pocket game at Faces Pool Room on Cottage Grove Avenue near 82nd Street. Rest In Peace.

My condolences to "Watusi's" son, Horace, and "Watusi's" family and many friends.

Last edited:

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Horace "Watusi Slim" Pollard at Red Shoes Billiards in Alsip, Illinois circa 2019.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-045507_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-045507_Photos.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 43

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
RIP "tusi" - as John said, you were a good man, and good action - for all of us brothers of the pool world, that's all we would want said of us...

...this is a pic from about 10-12 years ago, of me and tusi gambling in the action room at the DCC >>>

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
RIP "tusi" - as John said, you were a good man, and good action - for all of us brothers of the pool world, that's all we would want said of us...

...this is a pic from about 10-12 years ago, of me and tusi gambling in the action room at the DCC >>>
Yes, at the old Executive West -- I took that pic :) That may be the only time I saw him, but I wish now I had made a point to get to know him better :( I guess I will have to wait to chat on the other side... Rest in Peace sir.

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Rip to Watusi Slim. I played him years ago and learned from him not to judge a book by the cover. He was so tall he had an unusual stance and way he stroked the ball. I saw him miss some very make able shots and thought, “how can I lose?”. Well, he moved so damn good, it was only a matter of time before he had some ducks in front of him. He was a complete gentleman when I played him in Red Shoes.