Chicago Mike

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
I just got news from a reliable source that Chicago Mike is in the final 15 of the Banks Tourney at the DCC. Way to go Mike! Take that crown home to Chicago.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
philwelch said:
I just got news from a reliable source that Chicago Mike is in the final 15 of the Banks Tourney at the DCC. Way to go Mike! Take that crown home to Chicago.

Good luck Mike !!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John Brumback won the bank pool tournament, in a stunning 3-1 victory over Rudopho Luat. Hennessee took 3rd. Bryan Gregg took 5th. He is a wizzard banker. Brumback played fantastic all weekend, with the exception of one blip with his loss to Scott Frost. He made some banks that I've never seen before: two of them to win games.

Chicago Mike was playing jam-up everytime I saw him, including a gambling session with Sylver Ochoa. I don't know where he placed in the banks. He was still in the one-pocket tourny when I left today.

Doc

Deeman

Verified Member
Chicago Mike! What a player, what a nice guy. He plays lights out and is one of the most well spoken nicest men I have had the pleasure to meet. Mike is the real deal.

I was thrilled to see him, J.R. and, of course, our old buddy, San Jose Dick. All class acts. I enjoyed the time with Grady, Freddie and Danny as well.

Bernie....What a game he has developed. So that's what hanging out with Dick does for you? Sign me up! He played great all week.

Now we all have to go back to work and pretent to like it. :(

I still have snow on my head......Oh, that's the grey hair.

DeeMan

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Deeman said:
Chicago Mike! What a player, what a nice guy. He plays lights out and is one of the most well spoken nicest men I have had the pleasure to meet. Mike is the real deal.

I was thrilled to see him, J.R. and, of course, our old buddy, San Jose Dick. All class acts. I enjoyed the time with Grady, Freddie and Danny as well.

Bernie....What a game he has developed. So that's what hanging out with Dick does for you? Sign me up! He played great all week.

Now we all have to go back to work and pretent to like it. :(

I still have snow on my head......Oh, that's the grey hair.

DeeMan

Deeman,

I sure can't take credit for Bernie or Darren's pool skills, they both play better than I ever did. I have just been trying to teach them some of the moves in one pocket, and they are both sponges at learning.
It was a real crusher for Darren to get knocked out of the 1P by a Chicago squeeze artist, who could not chalk his stick at any other discipline.(sour grapes?)
I doubt Darren has played 50 games of 1P in his life, and as we all know, it's not a game you can learn overnight.
Also they are both great guys. Wait 'til next year !!!!
I got involved in some negotiations with Richie Richardson, who offered Darren a ball in 1P for some big $$$.
I countered with them playing even with me as coach for DA. Richie would have played, but his backer's pulled up lame. ;)

Charlotte Dick

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Dick,

Richie's backer is smarter than he looks. Darren and Bernie both said how much you had helped their games and, as we all know, you can't shoot for someone else but just getting some of that one hole knowledge out of your head has to be great for anyone's game.

DeeMan
I can't outplay Dick so maybe I can out live him... :)

chicagomike

Verified Member
philwelch said:

Wow! What a tournament....It was certainly a pleasure meeting all of you. I had a blast as it seemed everyone was having.

Shannon Daulton knocked me out of the banks, but I had a pretty good run...I came back on Mika Immonen from a 0-2 match to beat him 3-2(Someone from the stands shouted, "This kid caught a gear!"...and then the magic happened. I also handed a loss to Danny Harriman...what a feeling to play well when it really counts!

Thanks to Joey A giving Efren his place in the mini 1p tourney I got a chance to play him. How exciting was that??? Well I beat him a game and had a chance to pull ahead in the final game, but came up short...Imagine the action I'd lose if I beat Efren!!!LOL.

As fate would have it guess who came to my home room last night??? Yep, none other than Mika Immonen and Charlie Williams...promoting a pool school. They gave out raffle tickets for an opportunity to play a race to 3...You guessed it- I won a chance to play Mika some 9ball. He jokingly says,"long time no see." I bought him a drink(Cranberry and seltzer water) and got lucky enough to beat him 3-2...Charlie says to me afterward, "You really have his number!" and we both laughed.

I wished both fantastic success with their school and other projects and went on my way...wow, what a week.

See you all soon.

Deeman

Verified Member
Mike,

As I said to you right before I left, "How many of us will ever be able to say we went Hill-Hill with Efren in one pocket?" Maybe none. I had not heard about Mika but from what I saw, no one should be surprised.

Many of us would like to say we shot like you when we were younger. We would be lying. :)

You are a class act as well as a monster player. I look forward to next time.

DeeMan

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
chicagomike said:
...I came back on Mika Immonen from a 0-2 match to beat him 3-2...I also handed a loss to Danny Harriman...Imagine the action I'd lose if I beat Efren!!!...I won a chance to play Mika some 9ball...and got lucky enough to beat him 3-2...
Mike, I may be the first one to break this to you, but having beat those champions, your stock has gone way, way up! You may not even get weight ever again in a big city poolroom...:D BTW, how did you end up with Ochoa???

Doc

chicagomike

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Mike, I may be the first one to break this to you, but having beat those champions, your stock has gone way, way up! You may not even get weight ever again in a big city poolroom...:D BTW, how did you end up with Ochoa???

Doc

Hey Doc,

I don't mind the stock goin' up...I bought in real cheap. As for Mr. Ochoa, I was a 5 or 6 game loser after about 3 hours. He's a great guy and I figured I'd lose, but I had to test the waters.