Chicago Here I Come

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Insofar as Bar-B-Q joints that sell pulled pork or brisket, after eating in the South at a few top joints, I dont bother to eat in any of the so-called TV Bar-B-que joints. I have tried a few and I would rather have a good hamburger somewhere.

Beard

Barbeque Ribs is another story. Plenty of good spots, most of them on the South Side.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Also "The scoot," or "Scooting the check." Detroit Whitey and my good pal Sammy from Hot Springs were the masters. Sammy was even able to beat the NY joints, they were the toughest in the world. But they could only beat them if they each ate separately.

Beard
It's hard for me to debate who the best stiff artist was with you, don't know how strong Sammy was or even Whitey, but they would have to be pretty strong to beat out 'Super Stroke" for the title. Indeed. :D

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
- Ghost

The barbecue looks great, definitely going to try it. Looks like you're starting to get some stiff opposition with Billy and Fred, their actually saying it's a stiff. Pretty big swing from 'The Best' to 'A Stiff' well I guess... to each his own, sounds like a WWYD thread. :D Still going to try it.

I'm going to try to go to Chicago next month, probably at the end of the month, maybe around the time you and John are playing. :cool: If so i'll stop by, where ever it is.:D

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The Smokin' Woody's on Southport was owned by a different guy altogether - a fat guy with local political connections...then there was a second owner at this Lincoln Ave. location who didn't get it right either...the current Smokin' Woody's has nothing to do with the other two, other than the name - it's now owned by people who know what they're doing...all ya gotta do is watch the video to get a clue...:cool:...and witness all of the hardcore barbecue eaters and cops/detectives who are there eating all nights of the week.

- Ghost

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The Smokin' Woody's on Southport was owned by a different guy altogether - a fat guy with local political connections...this Smokin' Woody's has nothing to do with that place place - this place is owned by people who know what they're doing...all ya gotta do is watch the video to get a clue...:cool:

- Ghost

Bruce; About 4 years ago, I spent 1-2 years in Eastern NC. Myself and 2 other partners had BJ games twice a week for the local tobacco farmers. BIG $ games, Min. $50.00 - $500.00 per hand, play max 3 hands.

Without a doubt, NC has the BEST pulled pork BBQ I've ever had, the #1 spot for years is in Ayden, NC. The "Skylight Inn!"

Here's the link to this spot, if any of you are around Grenville, NC.

http://www.skylightinnbbq.com/

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

BTW, This joint has also been featured on, "Food Network!"

P.S. Another, BTW, along with the names for beating eating spots is, giving them "The Heel n Toe!" ;)

RedCard

Verified Member
Walking the joint

Walking the joint

Also "The scoot," or "Scooting the check." Detroit Whitey and my good pal Sammy from Hot Springs were the masters. Sammy was even able to beat the NY joints, they were the toughest in the world. But they could only beat them if they each ate separately.

Beard

We mostly called it 'walking the joint'. I actually only thought of it as 'shift change' twice, becuase twice it seemed to help.

It was easy to take the hungry exit off the highway to dive into a Ramada or Holiday Inn restaurant. Always made sure the waiter heard us discussing the fine accomodations. They were usually treated to me asking if there was a copy machine and fax for the use of guests. I'd ask for their pen and sign the check with a made up information. Always left a decent tip. Never had any problem with that except once in Tampa, it was my buddy's turn and he wrote a floor number they didn't have in the room spot. I vaguely remember us having to pay for that dinner.

One time a pool player and his girlfriend from Indy were vistiting and we were eating at a Red Lobster. We were just about done and the loudspeaker asked whoever drove whatever car to please move it it was blocking something. All three of us looked at each other and smiled, got up mumbled 'have to move the car' to the receptionist and low-motored.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Bruce; About 4 years ago, I spent 1-2 years in Eastern NC.
Without a doubt, NC has the BEST pulled pork BBQ I've ever had, the #1 spot for years is in Ayden, NC. The "Skylight Inn!"

Here's the link to this spot, if any of you are around Grenville, NC.

http://www.skylightinnbbq.com/

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

BTW, This joint has also been featured on, "Food Network!"

Yeah, but, but, Billy, if it was featured on the Food Network/"TV", then it must be no good, cuz Freddy said this in post #21 ------>

I dont bother to eat in any of the so-called TV Bar-B-que joints. I have tried a few and I would rather have a good hamburger somewhere.

Beard

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
A word of advice Bruce, before John gets to Chitown. Practice up on your 3C game, when John sees all the tables at Chris's, I'll bet He'll want to play some.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. If the $'s BIG enough, I'll fly in!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. If the $'s BIG enough, I'll fly in!

There are two translations to this remark. As Scott Frost would've said "I gotta go":p Here are the two translations:

1. Bruce, if you are too scared to bet high playing 3 Cushion against John I will fly in and play him some 3 Cushion.

2. I think John is so dumb that he would play me some 3 Cushion after being refused by you.

Giving yourself up in your own post: PRICELESS:D (again)

Dennis

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
There are two translations to this remark. As Scott Frost would've said "I gotta go":p Here are the two translations:

1. Bruce, if you are too scared to bet high playing 3 Cushion against John I will fly in and play him some 3 Cushion.

2. I think John is so dumb that he would play me some 3 Cushion after being refused by you.

Giving yourself up in your own post: PRICELESS:D (again)

Dennis

You just don't when to stop being a complete piece of s**t, shit starter! (again)

You had the nerve to talk about Artie, one game, one table. and the BEST you can play somebody is 1p on 5x10 snooker table. And, the ONLY reason you do, is well knowing, NO ONE plays that s**t. You talk about PRICELESS, your a joke! :lol:lol:lol

You know what OUR game is, the one You'll NEVER play, because you got NO ticker! ;)

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion
"

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
We mostly called it 'walking the joint'. I actually only thought of it as 'shift change' twice, becuase twice it seemed to help.

It was easy to take the hungry exit off the highway to dive into a Ramada or Holiday Inn restaurant. Always made sure the waiter heard us discussing the fine accomodations. They were usually treated to me asking if there was a copy machine and fax for the use of guests. I'd ask for their pen and sign the check with a made up information. Always left a decent tip. Never had any problem with that except once in Tampa, it was my buddy's turn and he wrote a floor number they didn't have in the room spot. I vaguely remember us having to pay for that dinner.

One time a pool player and his girlfriend from Indy were vistiting and we were eating at a Red Lobster. We were just about done and the loudspeaker asked whoever drove whatever car to please move it it was blocking something. All three of us looked at each other and smiled, got up mumbled 'have to move the car' to the receptionist and low-motored.

Bravo! For the prices they charge at Red Lobster, they are supposed to get beat. The last time I ate in one, the check was $115 for two people with a couple of those fancy drinks.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yeah, but, but, Billy, if it was featured on the Food Network/"TV", then it must be no good, cuz Freddy said this in post #21 ------>

I was referring to Chicago TV steers, but who says dem TV birds are always right anyway?
On the way to Tunica I stopped in a famous TV steer BBQ joint in Memphis, (Charlie Vargas?) There was a waiting line to get in. We tried a little of everything, it was all double Tom. Cardone and Gentile followed us in and had the same experience.

I bust "top" food spots all the time. If you get a steer from me, however, you can bet that you will dig it.

I have a Mexican take out joint that the Ghost would leave the name of the joint in his will, Los Olivos on 3400 W 31st. Closes at 4 pm. Best, by far, burrito in a town with plenty of other good places. That was one of the TV steers that got it right.

I ran into one of the stars of the TV food show, Chicago's Best, at a Target Store. He was with his wife. I confronted and gave him plenty of abuse for his recommendation of an absolute stiff, Lawrence's Fishery, on Canal street. I asked him how much he had been bribed to give that dump a thumbs up.

Beard

Anybody notice the "Cardone pattern" he has with me? I knock a joint and he is going to make it his first stop when he gets to Chicago!

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I was referring to Chicago TV steers, but who says dem TV birds are always right anyway?
On the way to Tunica I stopped in a famous TV steer BBQ joint in Memphis, (Charlie Vargas?) There was a waiting line to get in. We tried a little of everything, it was all double Tom. Cardone and Gentile followed us in and had the same experience.

I bust "top" food spots all the time. If you get a steer from me, however, you can bet that you will dig it.

I have a Mexican take out joint that the Ghost would leave the name of the joint in his will, Los Olivos on 3400 W 31st. Closes at 4 pm. Best, by far, burrito in a town with plenty of other good places. That was one of the TV steers that got it right.

I ran into one of the stars of the TV food show, Chicago's Best, at a Target Store. He was with his wife. I confronted and gave him plenty of abuse for his recommendation of an absolute stiff, Lawrence's Fishery, on Canal street. I asked him how much he had been bribed to give that dump a thumbs up.

Beard

Anybody notice the "Cardone pattern" he has with me? I knock a joint and he is going to make it his first stop when he gets to Chicago!
Stop it Fred, you're developing an inferiority complex, i'll be in Chicago next month to give you a hug, comeon. What about the Frost Brumback thread when I agreed that the 4ball..OOPS! 7ball bank was the best shot, huh.:heh
Matter of fact when i'm in Chicago i'll take you out to dinner, lets go to Lawrence's Fishery...what do you say. :D

Dr. Bill

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Stop it Fred, you're developing an inferiority complex, i'll be in Chicago next month to give you a hug, comeon. What about the Frost Brumback thread when I agreed that the 4ball..OOPS! 7ball bank was the best shot, huh.:heh
Matter of fact when i'm in Chicago i'll take you out to dinner, lets go to Lawrence's Fishery...what do you say. :D

Dr. Bill

Billy; You're a little "STINKER!"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Dr. Bill

I would much prefer to give you a strumming on my table in the basement!

Beard

ala the last time.:lol

bstroud

Verified Member
John, I thought Stroud wasn't interested in playing more mature players?:confused:

I guess Big Mike got tired of all those 10 & outs Bill's been putting on him.:p

Dennis

Dennis,

I only ran ten and out OFF THE BREAK once on Mike. I think Bernie or Frost were playing on the next table.

I HAVE run 10 and out on him other times.

He has run six on me many times.

Where are you?

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would much prefer to give you a strumming on my table in the basement!

Beard

ala the last time.:lol
And now I would very much prefer giving you a strumming on your own table in your own home in your home city, homy:heh I'll make sure when i'm in Chicago that your home will be a stop.:D:p

Dr. Bill