catkins derby report back

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Well,
Great time at derby despite getting sick literally the day I got there and not getting better still.

Banks

won first two rounds
first round against a friend of hard case from Atlanta. Shot well and finished match I think 3 1

Second round against super nice german guy (friend of peter lau) managed to beat him case game in great match a lot of safes and decent banking from both or us

third round managed to lose to a native Kentucky player. I felt like I could have done better in the match but did not so lost both of us struggling with moments of good playing

fourth round got to play jeremy jones and felt good about my play after he won first game I ran a 4 and out on him and we played a decent match from there. next game went hill hill and I played a very impatient shot which lost me the game(probably the set) last game I don't really remember but I lost it.

One pocket

Round one Shane macminn palyed great against me I had one bad role in the first game he ran seven on me and left me a shot which I made and took the ball out of his hole to leave everything open for me to shoot out but unfortunatley the cue ball found a pocket and that was it . Honeslty the rest was a blur and he jsut rolled over me
Second round forget name but the guy was very nice and I blew him out of the water 3 0
Third round played jayson shaw first game he broke and I kicked a ball in and ran 6 more and eventualy won the game 7 4. Second game he scratched like 5 times and I did not run as many balls as Isould have so manged to lose game eventually last game was best game lasted 40 min and I tried to squeeze him as best I coudl and felt liek I moved well. he never really had a shot where he was not on the rail or jacked up over three balls but he was able to make one of those to win the game. score 3 1

9 ball

first round guy did not show
second round played a guy who obviously played well but was having a lot of trouble finishing and kept giving me last three balls. case game he ran to the 7 and hung it in the hole and left me three balls for the set which I made

third round played a nice guy from oregon which I probably could have beat but it took me 4 games to get started than even than played a bit wonkey and lost 9 6

fourth round played young billy thorpe and felt like I played ok but failed to make a ball on the break on any of my breaks and lost 9 to 3

action

got a little one pocket action on the second day there with a friend of mine and lost 600 not bearing down and finishing but he played well so what can you do. On the last night a played someone named tony from new Orleans and I had his number pretty well that night and won 600 back.

The new situation is lacking in a few things that would have made it much better. I don't like the under 21 thing at all. I think if this game is going to grow that it needs to be a thing that the youth can go to and get into as well as just be around in a positive manor. The food was ok but there was no sit down restaurants except the steak house every thing else was like eating in a cafeteria and it did not feel like a good place to hang out and eat with friends. on a plus side coffee soda and water where free which was kind of a nice touch. The smoking directly outside of the pool was hard on people sensitive to smoke and to be hones there was no real way away from the smoke(it was not as bad as pool halls with smoking as it does have way better ac). On finishing I had a great time despite many draw backs(my being sick the biggest one) I felt like I played well and did not feel super out classed by any one I shot with the possible exception of Billy Thorpe who broke perfectly and was over 75% on run outs off the break it felt like. I am fairly sure I will be back next year and hope they can find a solution to the 21 and under situation.

Last thing is I as always met a lot of great people and had great time hanging out with members and hopefully soon to be members on this trip. It was great talking to miller the one night i got to and meeting chicago fats and seeing billy and Mitch and Ben again . Also had a great talk with Mary Kennison on the second to last night which is always a pleasure if there is any one I missed it is my NyQuil addled brains. Any how the pool was great the friends where better and the food was meh.

P.S thanks to Bob Beauleil for taking great shots of me and many others they bring immortality to the event like Steve does when he is there

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
great report, Chris. I watched you play the guy from NOLA late Saturday night, and you both looked a little punch drunk from the long days and nights piled up behind you, and the Nyquil doesn't help, but it was clear that you were going to come out ahead. Sounds like you had a fun time despite the adversity. And you got to play your game against the three champions. What a great opportunity. I hope I can get there next year.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
It was great to finally meet you. I wish we could have matched up. I think your responses over the years to wwyd most closely resemble mine. I look forward to seeing you next year.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
It was great to see you again Chris. What always strikes me about you is that you are such a nice easygoing guy to meet and talk to.. but are a killer on the table. Until next year!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry I missed seeing you this year Chris but great report, thanks for sharing and sounds like you did pretty darn well overall!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks for the great write-up, Chris. Other than being sick for the whole time it seems like you had a great time. Enjoyed watching you in the action room and learned you have a very nice easy smile and laugh, besides a silky smooth stroke. I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to get to know each other at MOT tourney in CA. Next time for sure.