Came up yesterday wwyd

NH Steve

Administrator
This came up yesterday and seemed interesting enough I asked my opponent if he minded I take a pic. He is a fellow 1p org member btw. Sorry cant draw lines and label from me phone but the shooter needs just one ball and opponent all three. Shooter's pocket is lower right as we look at it from the camera perspective. In case it is not clear the cue ball is near the far right corner pocket. WHat would you do?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379980114.989669.jpg

stedyfred

Verified Member
I would bank the ball that is uptable with a left qball and either split my pkt with that object ball or put it on my hole ( qball comes back directly across table). If object ball is off side rail sometimes I would kick that ball to my hole just as effectively but I prefer to have a little protection against the scratch in pkt from where I'm shooting from.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
That looks like the classic kiss bank on that ball uptable. Perfect spot for it and high percentage. In spots like this I don't pay no never mind about getting another ball in play especially since its a three railer for him anyway.

oldroller

Verified Member
I would bank the ball that is uptable with a left qball and either split my pkt with that object ball or put it on my hole ( qball comes back directly across table). If object ball is off side rail sometimes I would kick that ball to my hole just as effectively but I prefer to have a little protection against the scratch in pkt from where I'm shooting from.
if i understand that would be my shot

bstroud

Verified Member
Shoot off the 9 ball with med speed, go to the opponents side rail and down to the end rail about one diamond from his pocket.

Do not put the other ball in play.

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
Shoot off the 9 ball with med speed, go to the opponents side rail and down to the end rail about one diamond from his pocket.

Bill S.
Absofriggenlutely ! :)
Rod.

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member
Steve:

What did you end up playing?

Dave

p.s. Without identifying the member, at what level does he play?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
For those that are unfamiliar with the kiss bank that I suggested you might want to experiment with it before you discard this option. From the way they are sitting it a natural. Hit the object ball straight ahead and firm from the position of the cue ball. Strike it with high so that you can control the cue ball. The kiss will take the object to your pocket. Practice this shot until you understand the physics of it. Why pass up an opportunity to win the game.

With this set up and two balls on the spot and you shooting to open them up will only give your opponent more options.

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
For those that are unfamiliar with the kiss bank that I suggested you might want to experiment with it before you discard this option. From the way they are sitting it a natural. Hit the object ball straight ahead and firm from the position of the cue ball. Strike it with high so that you can control the cue ball. The kiss will take the object to your pocket. Practice this shot until you understand the physics of it. Why pass up an opportunity to win the game.

With this set up and two balls on the spot and you shooting to open them up will only give your opponent more options.
i will try this if i can remember it.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

100 % correct sir. I made that shot against Clint McCulough at Mr Cues in atlanta to win a game. I actually needed 2 balls and the cueball kissed back perfectly for shape on my game ball. Where the ball is located in this diagram you have to hit the object ball dead in the face(almost a hair left of center) to get it to kiss long into your hole. The closer the object ball is to the side pocket the less kiss you need to play. The key is you are not banking the ball but kissing it.

jazznpool

Verified Member

Bill S.
This is more or less the standard shot and I religiously agree. The kiss shot (for me) is a circus shot and too many things can go awry including hitting it bad wide and opening up the spotted balls with all 3 in play. I'd rather be patient and put the onus back on the opponent. It makes perfect sense, however, that someone with mastery of the kiss-bank shot would shoot it.

Martin

NH Steve

Administrator
Steve:

What did you end up playing?

Dave

p.s. Without identifying the member, at what level does he play?
Having the opportunity to read this conversation and reflect, I like Stroud & Androd's shot to simply cross over the two balls and leave the cue ball on the bottom rail, ignoring the single ball up north. That would be the shot if there were only two balls on the table too. At the time, I was thinking it would be bad to open up those balls.

Neither of us shot up to par, but the other player is in my class -- i.e. a "B" player. Actually it was his shot when this came up. As I recall, he played a simple safety off the 2-ball, after which I attempted to pocket the 2 and leave the cue ball long with all three balls spotted in a line-up

I would say this illustrates the advantage of playing off the two spotted balls -- it would have better prevented that opportunity for me to put all three balls in play on the spot.

I tried to post it from my phone that afternoon, but I recently updated the Tapatalk and I couldn't figure out how to, lol. Love technology :frus

Fatboy

Verified Member
if its laying right(looks like it is) the kisss bank is a good option,

the other option is to get the blue ball over to the other side and bank it straight back in a different inning,

what ever the plan, dont bring the 2 spotted balls into play, that's real bad.

If the kiss bank isnt there, then plan B is getting the blue ball on my side(i need one) and having the spotted balls blocking the blue ball(now on my side) would be great too.

I like my chances here needing one, for sure.

jtompilot

Verified Member
if its laying right(looks like it is) the kisss bank is a good option,

the other option is to get the blue ball over to the other side and bank it straight back in a different inning,

what ever the plan, dont bring the 2 spotted balls into play, that's real bad.

If the kiss bank isnt there, then plan B is getting the blue ball on my side(i need one) and having the spotted balls blocking the blue ball(now on my side) would be great too.

I like my chances here needing one, for sure.
Some of the guys are hitting the 9 ball as the standard spot shot. I think that brings all three balls into play:confused:

Fatboy

Verified Member
Some of the guys are hitting the 9 ball as the standard spot shot. I think that brings all three balls into play:confused:
thats terrible of you need one, suicide IMO. If your the guy who needs all of them then open the spotted balls at the right time(most likely sooner than later).