Calling All Seasoned Players … Are You Ever Surprised?

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

I was initially thinking about one-pocket, but I suppose this query could apply to any contest involving felt, slate, cushions and circular rolling objects. Pockets may well be involved, but not necessarily.

Do you boys -- those of you who have thousands (tens of thousands?) of hours on the tables -- ever react to a situation with a ‘whoa, I’ve never seen that one before!’?

Let’s segregate this particular coroner’s inquiry into three specific categories:

1) a table layout you haven’t encountered in the past.

2) a specific shot you’ve never seen executed.

3) an opponent’s response that still catches you by surprise.

Or, for you table-vets, is it all a sort of weary deja vu … a been-there, done-that?

On reflection … perhaps I should rephrase the query to eliminate number 3 -- the ‘opponent’s response’ segment. My own shot selections would almost certainly startle and dismay many senior devotees of the game. Yet, as my heartthrob, Efran, purportedly observed, ‘I like watching amateurs … I occasionally learn a new shot.’

(Isn’t the word ‘amateur’ such a kind designation? It implies innocence as opposed to incompetence.)

Having clocked relatively few hours watching, and even fewer playing, I’m often clueless (cue the blonde jokes!) as to how I should respond as the balls roll to a stop. My lack of talent doesn’t bother me so much as does my not knowing what a knowledgeable player would do next.

Confession is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Turning to a pool forum for answers is sort of like leaving the menu selections up to the chef in an omakase-type restaurant. One never knows what will be served up, do one?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
#1-----Every time I play.

#2----- rarely ( one in the last few years )

#3----- Often, I see a lot of " Why didn't he do that shots" :)

Rod.

bstroud

Verified Member
The only two shots that surprised me were both shot by the same person.

Efferin.

He was corner hooked on game ball when his opponent had it near his pocket. He rolled the cue ball onto the spot took a scratch and spotted a ball right behind the cue ball.

The other shot that impressed me was when he was very near a ball in the middle of the rail between the pockets and massed the cue ball to the opposite side of the object ball.

Both shots I had never seen before or since.

Bill S.

bernie p

Verified Member
Sunny,

How about a #4? "Wonders that never cease"

After decades of witnessing arguably the greatest player to ever hold a cue....
along with literally dozens of written articles referencing his name.....that Efren Reyes is quite often referred to as...

Efrem...(A Larry Schwartz commentary staple.....:eek:)

Efran....(Sunny, if Efren is truly your heartthrob, then spelling his name correctly will endear you to him.... just a little more :lol)

Efferin...(Bill S, you get the prize for the most syllables :D)

Sorry guys, and gals.....I just had to...:lol

Bernie.

bstroud

Verified Member
Bernie,

Be back in PHX mid next month.
Perhaps we can play then.

Bill S.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Efferin.

He was corner hooked on game ball when his opponent had it near his pocket. He rolled the cue ball onto the spot took a scratch and spotted a ball right behind the cue ball.

The other shot that impressed me was when he was very near a ball in the middle of the rail between the pockets and massed the cue ball to the opposite side of the object ball.

Bill S.

I was at the Glass City Open in Toledo in the late '80s early'90s sweating a tournament 9-ball match between Efren and Nick Varner. Nick sewed the legal object ball into a cluster on the long rail and the door shut. That is, the one ball(or whatever) was on the rail surrounded by balls on all sides and the cue ball was outside the cluster on the same rail. Efren jacked up and jumped the cue ball which landed on the actual rail of the table just above the cushion where it rolled along the rail and then fell off toward the table where it hit the trapped one ball. From there it glance off the one ball and went back up on the rail for a while and fell onto the table leaving Nick in a far worse condition because he was away from the rail. When he did this, Nick thought he had fouled but Efren stopped him from picking up the cue ball and they talked about it with Efren pointing out the path of the cue ball. Legal shot.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I'm surprised every day when I wake up. What surprises me best is when I see someone who I have tried to teach, go to another level in their game. Learning the mental aspect of one pocket is as important as the physical and that is the hardest to teach. Ball placement, cue ball, ball count, cutting off lanes. There is a lot to learn in one pocket. Some guys like Tony Chohan are naturals. Others like me need lessons until the day I quit playing.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Rod's answer

Rod's answer

summarizes my experience and I'll add that I look forward to those moments when the table shows me something new. I try to dream up new exercises for my practice time that will uncover these little surprises. As an example, sometimes I'll take 4-5 balls and lightly roll them into a corner to get some random positioning then take cueball in hand and try to come up with a way to move as many as possible out of the corner while leaving Qb as close to the pocket as possible(or otherwise safe). Most of these hairbrained ideas won't help your game but they do challenge your imagination and sometimes they do expose a move that you wouldn't have otherwise known.

Mike

Verified Member

Efferin.

Bill S.

Bill, I also saw him do the masse shot many years ago when he was in the Philadelphia area and I believe it was against Jimmy Fusco.