California Billiard Club OnePocket 11/21/09

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
I was able to catch some of the 3rd Saturday of the Month Open One Pocket Tournament - held at California Billiard Club - Mountain View, California.
This is a great place to meet and play top one pocket players in the Northern California Area.

You can see some pictures of the event at http://www.worldppa.com/pics.html and click on the "CBC OnePocket 11/21/09" button.

Santos got 1st, Billy Palmer 2nd, 3rd Melvin and 4th Octavio

Bob B.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
levartze said:
I was able to catch some of the 3rd Saturday of the Month Open One Pocket Tournament - held at California Billiard Club - Mountain View, California.
This is a great place to meet and play top one pocket players in the Northern California Area.

You can see some pictures of the event at http://www.worldppa.com/pics.html and click on the "CBC OnePocket 11/21/09" button.

Santos got 1st, Billy Palmer 2nd, 3rd Melvin and 4th Octavio

Bob B.
Thank you, Bob. Nice job. I hope to see Billy Palmer at Derby City this year -- I believe he missed last year. He's one of the handful that have knocked off Reyes in One Pocket.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
NH Steve said:
Thank you, Bob. Nice job. I hope to see Billy Palmer at Derby City this year -- I believe he missed last year. He's one of the handful that have knocked off Reyes in One Pocket.

I'm planning on going to and playing in the one pocket event for the 1st time. I'm really excited about it. Also getting one of the prime viewing seats, so I can take some pics as well.... :)

beatle

Verified Member
thanks bob its is great to see pictures
but where is fast eddies is that the joint in capitola
and family billiards is that in s.f. or or these pictures from somewhere else.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
NH Steve said:

It was great watching Santos and Billy battle it out; the 1st time Billy won and sent him to the loser's side but they met again in the finals and Santos won! They both made some incredible shots!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
beatle said:
California Billiards is in Mountain View (but I have never been there...)

beatle

Verified Member
ive been to cal. billiards and to fast eddies i think if that is the one. but somehow pool room names are the same all over the place and when i see posted something about a place that doesnt include where it is at. i must assume it was forgotten or overlooked putting it in, or the posts were just directed to the friends of the poster.

this is just what we need here in the forum and i am really interested in seeing and hearing about tournaments and news of what is happening. but it gets to be a turnoff when i spend ten minutes of my life each time trying to figure out where these things are. and i do realize that those into things more may know what is being talked about but the masses of readers cannot possible know where these places are that are casually mentioned or just the abbreviation for the event is listed.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
beatle said:

Hi Beatle,
These pics are just from California Billiard Club in Mountain View, CA. As per you suggestion, I made sure to include the location of the event.

Fast Eddys Billiards is in Capitola, California. Its located about 5 miles south of Santa Cruz. Dick Cady is the owner - Some very good One Pocket Players have played out of there: Kenny Crenshaw, Lettuce Larry, Jeff Greggory, Kentucy, Al Markasky

Family Billiards is in San Francisco on Geary. Delbert is the owner. If you want some BIG time one pocket action - this is the place. Table 1 is the toughest table in the house (right up front next to the window when you go in). All of the area top One Pocket players play here regularly. I wish I lived closer than an 1hr+ drive...

California Billiards Club in Mountain View (close to 85 and El Camino Real). Chris & Ben are the owners. This is a very nice pool room with well maintained equipment. A very good place for one pocket action; many top players play regularly here. If anyone is in town looking for action call beforehand and ask to speak to Chris or one of the managers (i.e. Shakey Dave); they would try to accommodate them....

Hardtimes Billiards in Sacramento California also is a very nice pool room with well maintained equipment. A very good place for one pocket action; many top players play regularly here.

beatle

Verified Member
thanks guys that great. ive been to each of these places and will again soon, as i hit the road this winter. the pictures of the players are fantastic as being out of the loop i dont always know who to stay away from.

maybe one day we can get a picture gallery of some of the players, or have a way of knowing who they are when in pictures of tournaments. of course it is info for my use later on.:)

and bob you are doing a great service to the pool players with you work and i thank you.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
beatle said:
thanks guys that great. ive been to each of these places and will again soon, as i hit the road this winter. the pictures of the players are fantastic as being out of the loop i dont always know who to stay away from.

maybe one day we can get a picture gallery of some of the players, or have a way of knowing who they are when in pictures of tournaments. of course it is info for my use later on.:)

and bob you are doing a great service to the pool players with you work and i thank you.

I'll try and attach a name to these pictures soon!
Thanks for your comments!
Bob

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
levartze said:
California Billiards Club in Mountain View (close to 85 and El Camino Real). Chris & Ben are the owners. This is a very nice pool room with well maintained equipment. A very good place for one pocket action; many top players play regularly here. If anyone is in town looking for action call beforehand and ask to speak to Chris or one of the managers (i.e. Shakey Dave); they would try to accommodate them....
Bob, I believe Calif. Billiards was formerly owned by a guy named "Action Bob", or possibly another first name, who passed away awhile back. He was very adept a stirring up action.

I played a tournament there during the late 90's. That was the first room I ever saw that had the main table on closed circuit TV broadcast to a large screen in the pool room. It's a great room.

And "Shakey Dave"! I'm happy to hear that he's still involved with pool. I used to see him in tournaments around central Calif. It was hard to believe a guy could tremble so much, but yet still play great.

Doc

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
gulfportdoc said:
Bob, I believe Calif. Billiards was formerly owned by a guy named "Action Bob", or possibly another first name, who passed away awhile back. He was very adept a stirring up action.

I played a tournament there during the late 90's. That was the first room I ever saw that had the main table on closed circuit TV broadcast to a large screen in the pool room. It's a great room.

And "Shakey Dave"! I'm happy to hear that he's still involved with pool. I used to see him in tournaments around central Calif. It was hard to believe a guy could tremble so much, but yet still play great.

Doc

Chet Itow was the former owner or California Billiard Club; they are planning a 1st Annual Memorial for him on January 16-17, California Billiard Club, 881 East El Camino Real, Mountain View. $10,000 in prize money and $3,000 guaranteed first place with 128 players; Race to 8, double elimination, beginning at Noon both days;Entry: $50 – doors open at 10:00am – no green fees;FRIDAY NIGHT OPEN 9-BALL, January 15;Race to 5, $25 entry, $200 added; More info: Contact Chris Swart, 650-965-3100

Action Bob AKA Bob Tapella, is the owner of Garlic City Billiards in Gilroy, California. Its about a 40 min drive South of California Billiards. Bob loves one pocket and plays with many top players passing through - if they give up the right spot. Table center by the counter is tightest in the house (4" pockets); Many top players have played there.

Shakey Dave is working nights at California Billiards. He is a strong consistent player (100 speed) that looks like he'd have a hard time hitting the ball, but everything comes together on that last stroke!

Bob

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
levartze said:
Chet Itow was the former owner or California Billiard Club; they are planning a 1st Annual Memorial for him on January 16-17, California Billiard Club, 881 East El Camino Real, Mountain View. $10,000 in prize money and $3,000 guaranteed first place with 128 players; Race to 8, double elimination, beginning at Noon both days;Entry: $50 – doors open at 10:00am – no green fees;FRIDAY NIGHT OPEN 9-BALL, January 15;Race to 5, $25 entry, $200 added; More info: Contact Chris Swart, 650-965-3100

Action Bob AKA Bob Tapella, is the owner of Garlic City Billiards in Gilroy, California. Its about a 40 min drive South of California Billiards. Bob loves one pocket and plays with many top players passing through - if they give up the right spot. Table center by the counter is tightest in the house (4" pockets); Many top players have played there.

Shakey Dave is working nights at California Billiards. He is a strong consistent player (100 speed) that looks like he'd have a hard time hitting the ball, but everything comes together on that last stroke!
Thanks for the update, Bob. I was putting "Action Bob" Tapella in the wrong room!! Calif. Billiards and Garlic City Billiards are both good rooms.

Doc

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Bob,

I haven't logged on to this site in quite some time, what a pleasant surprise to see a thread of my old stomping grounds, Ca Billiards. I moved away about 9+ years ago. Great pictures...and bringing up Action Bob, Lettuce Larry, Kentucky Bill, Shakey Dave and on & on was a treat for me, thanks. And the pictures are terrific.

Do we know each other?

Dave Gross

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
12squared said:
Bob,

I haven't logged on to this site in quite some time, what a pleasant surprise to see a thread of my old stomping grounds, Ca Billiards. I moved away about 9+ years ago. Great pictures...and bringing up Action Bob, Lettuce Larry, Kentucky Bill, Shakey Dave and on & on was a treat for me, thanks. And the pictures are terrific.

Do we know each other?

Dave Gross

Good to hear from you Dave. I don't go to Az much anymore and keep most my ramblings on here.

I don't get down to Mt. View either and pretty much just play at Hard Times in Sacramento.

You will have fun on this site and don't worry, I won't tell them how good you play so we can trap the Ghost sometime.

levartze

Verified Member
From
Morgan Hill, California
12squared said:
Bob,

Do we know each other?

Dave Gross

Hi Dave,

My full name is Bob Beaulieu - yes, of course we know each other! :)
Its been a while though; good to hear from you! :) Hope all is well...

I'm planning on playing and taking pictures at the next Hard Time event - I'll post them here also, so everyone can see the regulars.

Bob

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

That was $2 Bob, he was a very good friend of mine, I lost touch with him a few years back when I was away from pool. Many years ago he and Billy Tetter(Super Fatboy**) were good friends, something happened and they wernt ever friends again.

Is Billy playing much these days??? I heard he opened another bar recently.

**Mike Mitchell named me "Fatboy" in 86 and Billy "Super Fatboy" in 87, all in good fun

happy turkey day!!!!!

Fatboy

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
levartze said:
Hi Dave,

My full name is Bob Beaulieu - yes, of course we know each other! :)
Its been a while though; good to hear from you! :) Hope all is well...

I'm planning on playing and taking pictures at the next Hard Time event - I'll post them here also, so everyone can see the regulars.

Bob

You're dang tootin we know each other. How the heck are you? If I only had enough sense to look at your picture in your avatar I wouldn't have had to ask :).

Happy Thanksgiving and please say hello to the gang for me. I look forward to the new pictures.

Dave