C. Deuel vs. E. Reyes 2013 M.I.H.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is a tricky situation, and one that can get you in trouble if you try to force something by trying to go up table with the cue ball. The way the balls are positioned in relation to the cue ball, playing off either the 2ball or 8ball is too risky, if you're trying to go up table. Imo, the only productive option would be to elevate and draw off the right side of the 2ball playing the cue ball to the bottom rail near your opponents pocket. This shot will open up more balls to your side of the table and protect the position you already have. Another plus with this shot is that when you leave the table there shouldn't be any balls on your opponents side of the table, which would then enable you to play aggressively in your next inning.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
two rail the 8 towards your hole with follow.

Your shot might be okay if the eight does not clip the striped ball above it.
Looks to me like it will hit it and if so that shot becomes risky.

Though I don't like up table games and try to do things to avoid sending the balls up table early without a reasonable score advantage, I have to agree with Bill on this one. Efren however is exceptional, and he is very likely to find someway to avoid the simplistic option of bringing the cue ball back down to the bottom rail. There is very little to be gained from that shot but as Bill says, the other options appear worse.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
looks like the 8 clears the stripe
stop shot on the 2
get your popcorn wait for your next challenge;)
ee1.jpg

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
looks like the 8 clears the stripe
stop shot on the 2
get your popcorn wait for your next challenge;)
View attachment 8891

Since the eight clears, I'll hit this combo with follow just enough to nudge the seven ball out and wedge whitey up against the two and 14. This won't allow ANY offensive return shot. Be very difficult for Effie to not give you a much better cue ball position than where your currently at.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
I might take a foul...it's not a bad shot to kick one/two rails to the bottom between the chalk and corner on his side. Might block the 6 with 1 ball...hard to tell. Really doesn't matter, whatever the case your next inning you should be able to do something constructive no matter what he does to give yourself a bigger advantage.

Of course this is after making sure no balls are dead in the stack to Corey's hole.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Kick off the side rail to the top side of the 8. Softly to just get there and take the foul if your me--harder to knock ball out on your side if you're Effie. I do it softly because it could go wrong and glance off the stack.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
No cookies for you:p

Efren banked the 9 into the 11 and made it in his pocket. The lines I drew aren't entirely accurate but it's the best I can do without an overhead shot of the layout.

er's shot.jpg

He left himself here:

er's leave.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
No cookies for you:p

Efren banked the 9 into the 11 and made it in his pocket. The lines I drew aren't entirely accurate but it's the best I can do without an overhead shot of the layout.

View attachment 8904

He left himself here:

View attachment 8905
Nice! This is reminding me that if I have a favorite kind of One Pocket shot, it is probably the "in off" :D And this illustrates it very nicely. Thank you Dennis.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Nice! This is reminding me that if I have a favorite kind of One Pocket shot, it is probably the "in off" :D And this illustrates it very nicely. Thank you Dennis.

the IN/OFF shot.
catchy phrase,good way to remember to look for it
thank you steve
and
thank you dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Kick off the side rail to the top side of the 8. Softly to just get there and take the foul if your me--harder to knock ball out on your side if you're Effie. I do it softly because it could go wrong and glance off the stack.

petie, I like your shot and would strongly consider it if I were playing this game. Like you say not hard, just hard enough to maybe move a ball outside the pack area. Leaving the cue ball frozen or closely positioned to the stack will limit your opponent what he can do to defend against a good return shot from you. He may even take a scratch right back, but whatever he decides to do from the position you put him in ..he wont like.

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
petie, I like your shot and would strongly consider it if I were playing this game. Like you say not hard, just hard enough to maybe move a ball outside the pack area. Leaving the cue ball frozen or closely positioned to the stack will limit your opponent what he can do to defend against a good return shot from you. He may even take a scratch right back, but whatever he decides to do from the position you put him in ..he wont like.

Dr. Bill

Ya, too bad he didn't do that so we could see how the game played out.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I doubt that Efren had intentions of making that bank shot. Look where he left whitey. He was just trying to put a ball in front of his hole, and have the stack between it and the CB.

I like the 2nd variation of Petie's shot. Efren could have pinpointed the kick onto the 8 ball, driven the deuce over near his hole, and buried whitey in the stack.

Now what can Efren do from where he's at?;) He'll think of something...

Doc