Buddy Hall vs. Efren Reyes 2005 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's the first game and there's no score. Efren has the lower right-hand pocket. What would you do from here?

EDIT: It's Efren's shot.

Halls Safety 1.Jpeg

Halls Safety 2.Jpeg

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'd bank the 2ball back, trying to have it clip the side of the 6ball and go in my hole, or it can miss the 6 and go into the 4 and 5 balls - the cueball ends up on the bottom rail safely doubling Buddy up on the 1 & 14balls....in the pic, the angle looks perfect for this shot.

- Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
I'd bank the 2ball back, trying to have it clip the side of the 6ball and go in my hole, or it can miss the 6 and go into the 4 and 5 balls - the cueball ends up on the bottom rail safely doubling Buddy up on the 1 & 14balls....in the pic, the angle looks perfect for this shot.

- Ghost
Yep, that's probably what I'd do too, if it laid right.

Ghostys Safety.jpg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Buddy Hall vs. Efren Reyes 2005 D.C.C. - OnePocket.jpg

Assuming it's Reyes' shot, this is the thing to do. He solves a little problem near his pocket and finds a great place to leave the CB. Being Reyes, he might do something more spectacular, but not if he asks me first. :cool:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
vapros said:
View attachment 1611

Assuming it's Reyes' shot, this is the thing to do. He solves a little problem near his pocket and finds a great place to leave the CB. Being Reyes, he might do something more spectacular, but not if he asks me first. :cool:
Yes it is Efren's shot, sorry. That's a good shot too V-Man.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
vapros said:
View attachment 1611

Excellent choice, providing you can controll the cue ball to get it to end up in the stack. If not, this is a good time to take an intentional and reposition the cue ball in the stack. It's crucial to get the cue ball in the stack from this position...anyway you can.;)

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here's what Efren shot. It left an easy return safety for Hall. I don't quite understand a guy who is such an offensive player not banking the 2 and sending the cueball uptable. Maybe something was dead to Buddys pocket:confused: .

Efrens Safety.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Here's what Efren shot. It left an easy return safety for Hall. I don't quite understand a guy who is such an offensive player not banking the 2 and sending the cueball uptable. Maybe something was dead to Buddys pocket:confused: .

View attachment 1632
I looked at that shot but really didn't like it, not really doing much to put Hall in trouble. Reyes position is too strong to allow Hall to have an easy escape. Taking the intentional is a very strong shot, especially the way the balls are positioned in this layout. Imo Reyes doesn't take enough intentionals, which is a mistake when you consider his ball running skills.

Probably the reason he didn't bank the 2 ball was because of the angle that he had. It looks like to me that if you bank the 2 ball with the intentions of sending it toward the balls on his side the cue ball will travel high on the side rail, sending it across the corner toward the opposite corner pocket. He can possibly leave a shot on the 10 ball, or a shot on one of the stripes that are positioned up table, not to mention the possibility of scratching cross corner.

It's crucial to protect the 5 ball at any expense, particularly when you have the offensive skills of an upper echelon player. Repositioning the cue ball in the stack (intentional scratch) should be a strong consideration in positions like this one.

Billy I.