Brumback vs. Luat 2009 DCC

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We haven't had a bank pool WWYD in awhile, so thought y'all might be interested in thinking about one. This is from the first match of the 2009 finals where JB has to beat Luat two sets. John broke dry, and left Luat this layout. What did Luat do? What would YOU do? ~Doc
L-B 1.jpg

L-B 2.jpg

Kybanks

Verified Member
I believe I am shooting the 1 ball cross side and running into the 3 ball, very good chance to win the game with this shot. The other option is the 7 ball straightback but there isn't enough reward built in just making it.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I see a good,easy safe that could put the other player in a very bad spot. JB

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Take the free shot

Take the free shot

I'm bankin' the one cross side and bumping the six ball into the jaws of the corner pocket. Playin' all cue ball from here.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well a few of you guessed it. Luat shot the 7 straight back. When I first saw the layout I didn't think that the 7 would pass the 8 ball. Luat rolled it in, which looked like a miss. The 7 hit the side rail almost a quarter diamond out from the pocket, but the slick cloth and dry pool balls allowed it to bobble in.

L-B 3.jpg

He then attempted a cross-side on the 1 which he missed, leaving the CB here:

L-B 4.jpg

John then ran four, and just missed the out bank for the win. He did go on to win the set, and double dipped Luat for the 2009 championship.

It's interesting that Luat seems to be a gifted natural banker. But he hasn't mastered the game with the same approach as do seasoned banks players. He seems to play natural angles, whereas so many good bank players play shots wide and shorten the angle to the pocket through various methods.

~Doc