Boston Shorty

ejmagnum186

JAM, Larry Johnson aka Boston shorty was a legend in these parts. He played all games at a world class level....billiards, straight pool, 1p and 9 ball. Mike Nicoloro would be the best source for info on him but Zugland, Kerry Hebert or Tom McGonagle would be in the know as well. He was an absolute grinder and held up well both in tournaments and for the cash. I had the pleasure to be around him a fair amount in the early to mid 90's and he was still a threat and usually cashed in field that included the likes of Nick Vlahos, Tom McGonagle, Liscotti, Tony Robles and a young Ginky ....and he was WELL past his prime by then. I heard he was a cab driver in Boston at 1 point in life which between the traffic and the unsavory clientele required a fair amount of grit in itself.

Little Tony

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Boston Shorty vs Luther Lassiter one pocket:

Boston Shorty vs Harold Worst, 9 ball:

Boston Shorty vs Lou Butera 9 ball both parts:

On the Harold Worst video, side list, you'll find a video of Keith and Ronnie. Nice find imo.
EDIT:
The Shorty Lassiter One Pocket link isn't quite right below -- but here it is:

[ame]http://youtu.be/qD0dT4vvd4E[/ame]

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It knocks me out how he stabs that zig-zag shot. He doesn't need to know that shot for 9-ball or straight pool. Let's all try that shot the next time we get to the table and report back here how many tries it takes us to make it.