Book a One Pocket Match w/ Efren Reyes

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
But calling out like that isn't likely to engender more support even for the local guys I would think.

I'll hire on as Daniel's editor:

"Sorry we didn't have a stream for ya guys. It's a real disappointment to me. It's a lot of work just setting it up, and I hate to see Efren disappointed too. Maybe between Efren and me we can manage more lead time, next time. I know there are lots of guys who'd like to do this, time and money and travel and forewarning making it workable for them.

Thanks for trying to watch anyway."

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I wouldn't even mind that Corey. For me it's all location. I would do it just for the story and experience. Based on POV's post, im not sure he realizes that 90% of our posters are outside the area. But calling out like that isn't likely to engender more support even for the local guys I would think.

I think Daniel just misspoke. He doesnt know there is a bunch of good guys on here who really put their money where their mouth is when it comes to supporting the game. A bunch of us go the Make It Happen route with Accu-stats for $300 a pop. We always take up some money to send someone to the Derby and donate our time and money for the Hall of Fame. Now there is the US Open where we contribute to sending someone.

Also not to mention the Seniors affair in Houston. We are a bunch of givers So if anyone implies that we are a bunch of nits by using that "quiet as crickets" crap is out of line. This move is to enhance the stream of POV Pool.

(SNIP)

Mitch--To be clear, I already said I'd do this but it's on the wrong coast for me. The internet wouldn't be so bad, since I can take comfort in knowing that anyone I know well enough to give me crap would have about the same outcome. I think that includes the best local players in DC. (Maybe Brian Deska would have a shot at 10-7, I really don't know.) I was just making a guess as to why some players might hesitate.

In fact, I took a look at the schedule the other day and there was one player signed up, Aaron Moore. He's got it on his facebook page, is practicing on 3" pockets, and is clearly psyched for the match. Great attitude, and Go Aaron!

Keonyo -- Good point about the Make it Happens. A good number of us have ponied up $300, the same price as playing Efren (unless I steal a game), to support 1P. It's geography, and maybe the streaming, not lack of enthusiasm.

Cory

UPDATE.

1. I see Bernie Pettipiece has stepped up, so that's one for 1P.org.

2. I don't see how POV makes much off of this, since I doubt he rakes and the stream is free. It looks to me like a labor of love. That's probably tougher to handle when the reaction is tepid than if it were just business.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Okay - It appears we might need a little help this time around. Since Efren only wants to play one pocket on this visit so that he can prepare for the event in Louisiana, I'm having a little difficulty finding players who are willing to step up to the challenge. If any of your favorite players or best horses are available to challenge Efren, getting 10/7 for as little as $100 per set, we are still booking matches.

See here for available time slots: http://www.povpool.com/the-one-pock...bata-reyes-may-21-23-at-hard-times-billiards/

What's comical to me is, that everyone's an expert on these forums and when the time comes to invest in a real pool lesson I hear is the sound of crickets. This time around, I personally cannot afford to play Effren. If anyone wants to sponsor me to do so, I would gladly promote your brand on my stream in return. This is also an option. Since my last match with Efren, I've been working pretty hard on my 1-hole game.

And for all you good players out there that think staying 'dark' is the way to go. You are 100% wrong. It was quite the opposite, that the more I stepped up to play guys like Eften and Carlo Biado, the more action it brought me, and not necessarily from better players. I think the real reason why is because when you step up and play someone, it shows that you have 'gamble' and are willing to win or lose. People respect that and because of it, you'll catch a few more fish.

Please get in touch and book a match with Effy - I promise you, you'll have the experience of a lifetime.

Efren is the best over-all player I've ever witnessed. He's number one in my book especially playing OnePocket

Your event - at 10 to 7 ... I'd totally enjoy being streamed and given the opportunity to knock off the best ever

The opposite coast is the problem. If you could figure a way to alternate locations, the east coast would give you all you could handle at 100 a set

If I understood your info correctly - a race to three is considered a set? And you'll do this a total of three times? In four hours? :confused:

Thank you for what you do for our sport PovPool, your efforts are well appreciated. I should mention though that your marketing skills need fine tuning

Good Luck with the event and thank you again. Hoping all comes together soon

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Efren is the best over-all player I've ever witnessed. He's number one in my book especially playing OnePocket

Your event - at 10 to 7 ... I'd totally enjoy being streamed and given the opportunity to knock off the best ever

The opposite coast is the problem. If you could figure a way to alternate locations, the east coast would give you all you could handle at 100 a set

If I understood your info correctly - a race to three is considered a set? And you'll do this a total of three times? In four hours? :confused:

Thank you for what you do for our sport PovPool, your efforts are well appreciated. I should mention though that your marketing skills need fine tuning

Good Luck with the event and thank you again. Hoping all comes together soon

Very well said, Bill.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Carla, my friend, Tiger is not offering through a surrogate to play anyone for a hundred a pop. Efren regularly comes in when he's in town and we have regs who donate to him. I am not asking him to play. His surrogate is asking us to play. Your analogy does not work. I, and others it seems, dont appreciate Daniels questioning our dedication to the man and the game. He really should apologize for that.

And no one is asking Efren to drive all the way to HOB to do anything. He is the one asking through Daniel to play and Im willing to be a donator to him just so I can benefit from his expertise. I just dont feel I want to do it for Daniels self promotional efforts.
Particularly after he said this.....

"What's comical to me is, that everyone's an expert on these forums and when the time comes to invest in a real pool lesson I hear is the sound of crickets."-Daniel POV POOL

To everyone here, I have the utmost respect for your freedom of speech and although I don't always agree with what i read, I try not to make a habit of chastising anyone for expressing those thoughts. Maybe I'm a little frustrated, by the guy/s IM'ing me asking for 12-4 and the breaks, but how would you feel if somebody out of nowhere wanted that from you? I actually didn't mean to insult anyone here in the forums - I actually edited this statement from my Facebook page which really reads: 'Social Networks and behind the rail'. But, when posting it here, i edited it to suit the context of the 'forum' but I overlooked that some of you might actually think: "Who? ME? How dare he refer to ME!!!" - Seriously, I wasn't referring to YOU, here in forums.

- "sound of crickets"
To be honest, I took the line from 'poolhall junkies' which was, "...now all of a sudden it's quiet as a church in here." and changed it to 'sound of crickets'. I'm just trying to stir up a little action kids. I apologize if I've touched anyone's nerve by saying this, but also, excuse me for thinking that the adults in the room would have thick enough skin to fade the woofing. Trust me, it's really not my intention to put your knickers in a twist. I'm really just calling out the guy who is on the fence about it. I'm no psychologist but, sometimes when you call a guy a 'chicken' the guy usually wants to prove you wrong.

At the end of the day, what I'd really like to see is a player or two step up and beat Efren with 10-7. Efren is NOT obnoxious for offering 10-7 for $100 a set. Efren is doing nothing different than any other top pro has done before; and that is to exploit themselves and their legacy to make a few bucks and help a few players to find out where they stand as a player amongst players. Someone saying Efren should get a job? That is his job. He's a pool player. He plays pool for a living. You may or may not agree with it; that is your prerogative, don't play him. The streaming of these matches is an added benefit to the player who wants some critique and understanding of their own game and the further promotion of one-pocket as a whole. In fact, by playing ONLY one pocket on this particular weekend, I think it's great what Efren is doing to promote the game itself.

Anyway, our first match on Saturday is with Bernie Pettipiece and I actually don't think that spot is out of line. This will be a great match. =

"Haters gotta hate and skaters gotta skate!" - Mike Woods (An extremely prolific, 11 year old skater).

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
To everyone here, I have the utmost respect for your freedom of speech and although I don't always agree with what i read, I try not to make a habit of chastising anyone for expressing those thoughts. Maybe I'm a little frustrated, by the guy/s IM'ing me asking for 12-4 and the breaks, but how would you feel if somebody out of nowhere wanted that from you? I actually didn't mean to insult anyone here in the forums - I actually edited this statement from my Facebook page which really reads: 'Social Networks and behind the rail'. But, when posting it here, i edited it to suit the context of the 'forum' but I overlooked that some of you might actually think: "Who? ME? How dare he refer to ME!!!" - Seriously, I wasn't referring to YOU, here in forums.

- "sound of crickets"
To be honest, I took the line from 'poolhall junkies' which was, "...now all of a sudden it's quiet as a church in here." and changed it to 'sound of crickets'. I'm just trying to stir up a little action kids. I apologize if I've touched anyone's nerve by saying this, but also, excuse me for thinking that the adults in the room would have thick enough skin to fade the woofing. Trust me, it's really not my intention to put your knickers in a twist. I'm really just calling out the guy who is on the fence about it. I'm no psychologist but, sometimes when you call a guy a 'chicken' the guy usually wants to prove you wrong.

At the end of the day, what I'd really like to see is a player or two step up and beat Efren with 10-7. Efren is NOT obnoxious for offering 10-7 for $100 a set. Efren is doing nothing different than any other top pro has done before; and that is to exploit themselves and their legacy to make a few bucks and help a few players to find out where they stand as a player amongst players. Someone saying Efren should get a job? That is his job. He's a pool player. He plays pool for a living. You may or may not agree with it; that is your prerogative, don't play him. The streaming of these matches is an added benefit to the player who wants some critique and understanding of their own game and the further promotion of one-pocket as a whole. In fact, by playing ONLY one pocket on this particular weekend, I think it's great what Efren is doing to promote the game itself.

Anyway, our first match on Saturday is with Bernie Pettipiece and I actually don't think that spot is out of line. This will be a great match. =

"Haters gotta hate and skaters gotta skate!" - Mike Woods (An extremely prolific, 11 year old skater).

I can well understand your frustration, it get to us all at times, Thanx for the update.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Thank you Daniel for what you do for us. I personally know that you do this because you love doing it.
Efren has lost a bit of his game and is beatable at 10/7 by many, especially at $100 a set. We all know that he steps it up a bit for larger $$.
Daniel and I put Fach, a decent one pocket player, in the box with Efren at the last go around. Fach had a chance to win all three sets but I think the Efren factor turned out to be the difference.
I think that Efren will have his hands full with Bernie from Arizona. I favor Bernie in this match and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Thanks again Daniel for your love of the game that allows you to stream for all of us to watch..

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
When they did this a few months back, my friend George drove from Tucson to LA area to play Efren. The first set was pretty one sided in favor of Efren and nobody was saying much in the booth.

The second set went to George and all of a sudden there was a scramble to learn how to say his last name...LOL
Efren won the 3rd set and got $100, George was happy to get the opportunity to play a legend.

George retired a year or so ago, so he has the time to travel to an event like this. So it's not that a bunch of us wouldn't love to step up and play, it's the time from work that is tough to get. If this was in Phoenix, I'm pretty sure there would be a few of us that could make the drive, not to mention some local guys that would jump up.

Los Angeles is just a wee bit too far for many of us working stiffs.....

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just echoing what others have said before but this could be a pretty good gig for Efren (and team) if they decided to take it on.

Take a cross country trip from LA to Boston, choosing locations along the way to stop, setup shop at a pool room, book the matches/times and walk away with a lot of cheese.

Once you get within a few hour driving distance, interested parties (such as myself) would jump at the opportunity to play Efren and have it streamed / commentated.

After traveling expenses I would still think you should walk away with a pretty nice sack of coins at the end of it.

Pick a location, stay all weekend and have matches booked online in advance. Monday morning start driving to the next location and get things set up for the following weekend.

just an idea...

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
6 slots are still available to play Efren

6 slots are still available to play Efren

Well, Saturday is fully booked, so if you'd like to come sweat the action or simply make a game with Efren Reyes: on or off camera, you are certainly welcome to. Nobody is holding anyone to having to be streamed live. We are perfectly fine, covering the weekly 9-Ball tournament at Hard Times if Efren doesn't get any action or his opponents are camera shy.

We are still taking appointments though for Sunday and Monday / daniel@povpool or 310-923-6639

http://www.povpool.com/the-one-pock...bata-reyes-may-21-23-at-hard-times-billiards/

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
We've just booked Bradley Fleming from Dallas, TX to play Efren with 10/7. Bradley tells me over the phone that JJ is one of his mentors (on an instructional level as well). He tells me that he plays better one-pocket than rotation games.

Our 4th booking on this event!

Sunday @ 4PM / PST - Bradley Fleming vs Efren Reyes