BNRs - DCC?

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I had asked previously about short rack BNRs and was quite surprised to hear that it isn't very often that it happens.

I was looking at the list of players in the DCC banks division, many of which could probably rob me with the 4-out in 9b, and was thinking that it would seem odd that these players could run racks in 8 and 9, but couldn't put together a BNR very often with short rack banks.

I know it is still very early, but could anyone please give me some stats as far as BNRs go? ie - maybe 5 the entire tournament? 10? 3? 20?

The following are names that would make me piss myself otherwise, but if they aren't consistently able to run a single rack of banks, it really surprises me..
Alcano, Appleton, Atwell, Beard(no offense, Freddy, I'm just curious!), Brumback(same thing!), Bustamante, Chau, Corteza, Cotton, Daulton(again!), Dechaine, Deuel, Eberle, Feijen, Frost, Hogue, Hopkins, Immomen, Joyner, Kiamco, Kirkwood, Louie, Martinez, Miller, Moore, Murphy, Nevel, Ochoa, Owen, Pagulayan, Parica, Platis, Putnam, Runnels, Saez, Schmidt, Souquet, Strickland, SVB..

I mean, those are people that would beat me all day long.. is it just that the race to 3 doesn't lend itself very well to serving up many chances for runouts? Brumback's explanation of the differences between short and long rack banks makes sense, short being a shootout and long being more strategy. That would make me think there is more of a shooter's mentallity in short rack. And the way that those players can control the rock, I'd think there would be a lot of breakouts and good setups.

I know Beard and Brumback can provide the info, but I think they're kind of busy at the moment. ;) Give 'em hell, guys! And the same to everyone else from here. :)

I'm sure there are plenty of 3 and 4 ball outs, though, I don't doubt that at all. Or how about 5-and-outs?

Thanks in advance!

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
As they'd say in Maine, "ayuh".

Break n run.

Or do most people choose to have their opponents break? :confused:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Most I have heard of at DCC -- but this is totally unofficial and just what I have personally heard -- two times players have run out two racks and then 3 balls, for a total of 13. I don't even remember the players involved.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
NH Steve said:
Most I have heard of at DCC -- but this is totally unofficial and just what I have personally heard -- two times players have run out two racks and then 3 balls, for a total of 13. I don't even remember the players involved.

I'm not even close to a top player but I've had an 11 and a 12. However the pockets aren't as tight {4.5"} as the tables they play on. That half inch is a big difference.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Truman Hogue and Jason Miller are the two mentioned with high runs, I'd guess. Hogue with 13 against Daulton...thought Miller had 10 or 11, then took two or three more innings to dispatch Piggy Banks.

I'd guess there are a fair amount of five and outs, but even with new cloth it seemed you had to hit the long banks pretty clean on the Diamonds they used in past years.

Its not THAT easy to do. You still need a good break that leaves a number of easy shots in the patch to be a favorite to go out.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Banks said:
Or do most people choose to have their opponents break? :confused:

Banks,

Does this imply that there's an option? I've always played that whoever wins the toss breaks the balls. This is an advantage, why would anyone give it up:confused: ?

Dennis

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Dennis, it does say under the banks rules on the DCC site that the winner of the lag decides who breaks first and winner of each game decides who breaks next.

I think those posts kinda sum it up.. there just aren't that many videos online that I could find for bank pool.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Banks said:
Dennis, it does say under the banks rules on the DCC site that the winner of the lag decides who breaks first and winner of each game decides who breaks next.

Thanks Banks:) . I had never heard of that rule.

Dennis

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Banks said:
I had asked previously about short rack BNRs and was quite surprised to hear that it isn't very often that it happens.

I was looking at the list of players in the DCC banks division, many of which could probably rob me with the 4-out in 9b, and was thinking that it would seem odd that these players could run racks in 8 and 9, but couldn't put together a BNR very often with short rack banks.

I know it is still very early, but could anyone please give me some stats as far as BNRs go? ie - maybe 5 the entire tournament? 10? 3? 20?

The following are names that would make me piss myself otherwise, but if they aren't consistently able to run a single rack of banks, it really surprises me..
Alcano, Appleton, Atwell, Beard(no offense, Freddy, I'm just curious!), Brumback(same thing!), Bustamante, Chau, Corteza, Cotton, Daulton(again!), Dechaine, Deuel, Eberle, Feijen, Frost, Hogue, Hopkins, Immomen, Joyner, Kiamco, Kirkwood, Louie, Martinez, Miller, Moore, Murphy, Nevel, Ochoa, Owen, Pagulayan, Parica, Platis, Putnam, Runnels, Saez, Schmidt, Souquet, Strickland, SVB..

I mean, those are people that would beat me all day long.. is it just that the race to 3 doesn't lend itself very well to serving up many chances for runouts? Brumback's explanation of the differences between short and long rack banks makes sense, short being a shootout and long being more strategy. That would make me think there is more of a shooter's mentallity in short rack. And the way that those players can control the rock, I'd think there would be a lot of breakouts and good setups.

I know Beard and Brumback can provide the info, but I think they're kind of busy at the moment. ;) Give 'em hell, guys! And the same to everyone else from here. :)

I'm sure there are plenty of 3 and 4 ball outs, though, I don't doubt that at all. Or how about 5-and-outs?

Thanks in advance!
I'm playing a guy at the DCC, he wins the first game didn't miss a ball. I told myself drop a 5 pack on him and see what happens. I went to the table banked 5 and out, and put three on him in the next rack. He folded then. A few years back at the DCC i was playing Dave matlock in the mini banks tournament, i banked 5 and out back to back in a race to two with Matlock. That is the best i have played.
Did 8 a couple of times.
BJ

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
That's some pretty fine shooting, Jim. Must've been a relief not to have to worry about Matlock, too. Next time, I'm sure it'll be you that he's worried about.

I've only been over to the bar to shoot 2 or 3 times in the last couple weeks or so.. I think I'm overdue for some PBR, whiskey and pool. :D

Hey Jim, when you said 8 a couple of times, you were talking full rack? And thanks to you and the others for the info.

Now I've gotta go make mental notes of what spots I'll have to ask for from who. :eek: ;)

#Cruncher

Verified Member
BNR's or 5 and outs?

BNR's or 5 and outs?

If you're strictly talking around Break and Run's at the Derby this year. I would guess at least 20 - 40

As for 5 and outs, I would guess at least another 20 - 40 of those.

Keep in mind there would me more of those if the players didn't start playing more safe once they were on their 4th or 5th bank.

I would suspect hundreds of fours.

I heard that our very own John Brumback had a twelve and out this year.
I was hoping to get a confirmation of that.

mojoe

I watched John Brumbacks 2, first round matches this year and he ran the last two racks in both matches from the break.

How strong is that. Don't know the first guy but his second victim was straight shooting Tommy Stephenson.. First game went back and forth, John ran 3 to finish the first game and never gave up the table. I like his style!

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Yikes! Looks like I've got a little more practice to put in if I plan on scratching together the cash for next year's DCC. :)

Finding it hard to practice banks from break to finish.. never did like having defensive battles with myself and that seems to come up a bit with jawed shots, etc. Gotta buckle down, though, if I want to even put up a fight against some of you. ;)

Banking's been doing fine, but it's still driving me crazy trying to figure out why I'm consistently going wide on the long banks (not the back-angled long banks).

John Brumback

Verified Member
mojoe said:
I watched John Brumbacks 2, first round matches this year and he ran the last two racks in both matches from the break.

How strong is that. Don't know the first guy but his second victim was straight shooting Tommy Stephenson.. First game went back and forth, John ran 3 to finish the first game and never gave up the table. I like his style!

Hey Mojoe,I'm glad you saw that.I new I had a t least a 12 on Tommy S. but
after the match somebody told me It was a 13.I can't remember sometimes when I get In the zone like that. My first match was with a real nice but unlucky guy from Indy,IN And I can't think of his name.That one was on the tv table but I don't know If they were running the tape or not.I hope so cause I would like to watch that myself.LOL I just wish that I had connected them together,would have been my high run on a Diamond. Thanks again Mojoe,for watching.I'll remember those two for quite awhile!!!!!.JB

mojoe

John Brumback said:
Hey Mojoe,I'm glad you saw that.I new I had a t least a 12 on Tommy S. but
after the match somebody told me It was a 13.I can't remember sometimes when I get In the zone like that. My first match was with a real nice but unlucky guy from Indy,IN And I can't think of his name.That one was on the tv table but I don't know If they were running the tape or not.I hope so cause I would like to watch that myself.LOL I just wish that I had connected them together,would have been my high run on a Diamond. Thanks again Mojoe,for watching.I'll remember those two for quite awhile!!!!!.JB

My pleasure John.. You are definitely my inspiration for putting in tons of time on the Diamond in my basement.. I am planning to get out to as many banks tournaments as possible this year in preparation for 2012 DCC..

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I play another member here quite often shortrack, maybe just a race to 3 or 10 games or so....But we play weekly on the average(anything more often and it is STRICTLY ONEPOCKET lol)

In the few years we have played I have seen a 5 and out put on roughly once in every 2-3 match-ups. Bear in mind we play weekly and no more than 6-10 games

I have seen a RUN of 5(from owing a ball) more than that, but just a few times more

4 nearly every time we play
3- I can't count them, but every BLUEST moon it is the high run
2- WITH A BROOMSTICK. lol, one day it was the high run(it was HOT!)
Special mention and honors go to blackee, in a game where we each fouled twice...I got to 3 on a run of 3 and 2. He gets to -1 and lays it down:cool: I play safe- he runs 5, and plays shape on the spot for ball 6.

Overall I think the top players runs aren't much higher than amateur/shortstop level, but are far more consistent.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Banks said:
That's some pretty fine shooting, Jim. Must've been a relief not to have to worry about Matlock, too. Next time, I'm sure it'll be you that he's worried about.

I've only been over to the bar to shoot 2 or 3 times in the last couple weeks or so.. I think I'm overdue for some PBR, whiskey and pool. :D

Hey Jim, when you said 8 a couple of times, you were talking full rack? And thanks to you and the others for the info.

Now I've gotta go make mental notes of what spots I'll have to ask for from who. :eek: ;)
I was thinking about the dcc, i had at least 4 eight bank runs, and one ten.
Truman banked 13 in a roll on me at 12:30 Sunday night a few years back, i had him glued to the end rail, and he jacked up and fired a str8 back in at warp speed and then 12 more right behind it. I got top 17 that year, Truman came in 3rd.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
....hmmmmm....

....hmmmmm....

BUD GREEN said:
Truman Hogue and Jason Miller are the two mentioned with high runs, I'd guess. Hogue with 13 against Daulton...thought Miller had 10 or 11, then took two or three more innings to dispatch Piggy Banks.

I'd guess there are a fair amount of five and outs, but even with new cloth it seemed you had to hit the long banks pretty clean on the Diamonds they used in past years.

Its not THAT easy to do. You still need a good break that leaves a number of easy shots in the patch to be a favorite to go out.

...I guess you didn't see the "ring bank"....game at Buffalo...where we paid by the rail...and I made 6 multiple rail banks in a row for the "Cheese"....:D