Blue diamond chalk versus Kumai chalk

Big Jim

Verified Member
I only recently heard about the new Kumai chalk that retails for 28.00 for a single cube. Then i heard that blue-diamond chalk is almost as good for 4.00 a cube. I purchased 2 cubes of blue-diamond chalk. I chalked my kumai brown medium tip and began playing pool without chalking my cue after shooting. My test was to see how long this chalk will last before i miscued. I played pool for 23 minutes before i miscued. I'm very impressed with the blue diamond chalk. Has anyone tested the kumai chalk to see how long it will last before a miscue occurs? Your results may vary.
This is not an advertisement for blue-diamond chalk. lol
BJ

Dudley

Verified Member
most people love it or love to hate it's price

most people love it or love to hate it's price

Kamui Chalk plays great and is significantly better at adhering to the tip.. However it will always be a controversial item-> $28.00 a cube is a crazy high price.
If the price doesn't bother you I believe you will find it to be remarkably different than any other chalk out there. If you use the Kamui gator grip tip tool and apply some Kamui chalk it is ridiculous how much chalk gets in to the pores of the leather. You can literally take your palm and try to wipe the chalk of the tip and it takes 4 or 5 swipes to get enough chalk off of the tip that it might not be enough to take a big draw shot with.

If you have a habit of chalking after every shot you will have almost have too much chalk on your tip. It is very unique.

I can't endorse the chalk without the disclaimer re the price.
It is definitely a personal preference. Most people will have a very difficult time justifying the price. You can buy a gross of masters for the same price as one piece.
I have a couple pieces and rarely play with them unless the conditions lead to believe that the chalk isn't sticking to my tip very well.

The main reason I don't play with it is I don't want to forget it at the end of the night.

Blue diamond is good, better then masters imo but much closer in composition to masters then it is to Kamui chalk.

Hope this gives you some perspective on things,

Dudley

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Twenty-eight bucks for a piece of chalk

Twenty-eight bucks for a piece of chalk

I will put it on my $45 cue tip.

NOT

If one was born every minute circa 1883, what is their birth rate in this century?

Last edited:

snookerly

The Blue Diamond Test

The Blue Diamond Test

Thanks Jim for this test. Ten years later I can say that this test stands true and blue diamond is still a choice chalk. I bought it after a review on the best chalk I read online and I have not regretted so far.
Keep sharing your thoughts and we will appreciate.

NH Steve

Administrator
Thanks Jim for this test. Ten years later I can say that this test stands true and blue diamond is still a choice chalk. I bought it after a review on the best chalk I read online and I have not regretted so far.
Keep sharing your thoughts and we will appreciate.
I use the Blue Diamond chalk myself already, but when I click on your review link, for some strange reason in my browser I see their article, but absolutely no reviews of chalk???

Texas Carom Club

Verified Member
I loved blue diamond

I loved blue diamond

Until I used Russian magic chalk

Leaves less mess on the ball, don't need to chalk every shot, I believe it was Alex p. That went about 27 shots before miscuing with it, and he fully endorses it now
Free of charge!

Believe Mr jr Hendy also uses and loves the rmc

Plus they make it in blue and Chernobyl green now so I like it for my green Royal pro billiard cloth

Last edited:

phil dade

Verified Member
I have them all at home. I do not like the chalk marks thank RMC, Kamui, and Diamond make on the ball. Further, and most important, I was taught to chalk after each shot as part of my pre-shot routine. Certainly this was necesary and a good practice in the 60's but still today. It gives you pace and timing, much as a pre shot routine in golf. These new chalks are so effective that chalking after each shot does not work, so I am still with Masters most of the time.

poolisboring

Verified Member
i do not doubt that these chalks are amazing but, i chalk nearly every shot as part of my pre shot routine and master chalk has never let me down, not even once......any time i have ever miscued was because i was way outside on my tip..... iow--operator error.....

lll

Verified Member
here is "scientific" review of several chalks
http://www.billiards.colostate.edu/threads/chalk.html#comparison
there were definitely differences among the brands regarding hits till miscue/chalk marks on the balls etc
but here is a conclusion made
If you chalk before every shot, it doesn't seem to matter which chalk you use. They are all equally effective when the chalk is applied properly before a shot. I have not been able to measure a difference in performance among any of the chalks when the tip is chalked before a shot.