Best videos to learn from

thepavlos

Verified Member
From
BOSTON, MA
Hi
I don't know if this topic has been covered here before but what are some of the better matches to watch in order to learn from.
Thanks
Paul

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
Yup, Efren and Shannan Daulton have a great Accu-stats match at the Dirby City, anything with Buddy Hall is great in my book, Grady and Efren have a good match too.......Gerry

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
BTW, buy any of Gradys instructional vid's, worth every penny and then some..........G

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Some off the top of my head:

1. Rempe/Fusco : an old Legends of OP tape with Freddie B. doing commentary. Fusco tortures Rempe with old school one hole squeezing. Good tape for learning fundamental strategies. Excellent commentary.

2. Fusco/Varner : another old tape. fusco does player review commentary and the match is solid old style one pocket.

3. Hall/Efren: Buddy beats Efren 4-1 and plays almost perfect 1-P. Efren never really gets a chance. How often do you hear that?

4. Parica/Pagalayan 2000 world : quick games with the break ball falling 3-4 times in a row. Quick fun match to watch runouts.

5. Parica/Bugs Rucker : classic tape with great commentary. Great players and Hall, Bentivegna, and Cornbread pitch in on some commentary. Any chance to see Bugs is worth it.

6. Daulton/Reyes 4-3 : their well known match that went hill-hill. Two top players battling it out.

7. R. Allen/JR Gay : good tape to see Ronnie Allen. Unfortunately JR plays fantastic and tortures the legend.

I could go on but basically if you like:

OLD STYLE: try and find the old legends tapes from 91,92,etc... and get as many Fusco,Hopkins,Steve Cook,Bugs,Matthews matches as you can afford. Rumour has it that Accu-Stats may re-release some of their out of print tapes. These tapes have a lot more of the tight,defense orientated games that help you squeeze your opponent.

NEW KIDS: get tapes (from the DCC mainly) of Frost, Pagalayan,Joyner,Deuel. These guy don't play as much defense but play quick exciting games a lot of times where offense dominates. Joyner has been around a while but he tend to play a fast aggressive game.

EFREN: catagory by himself. Not polished like the old guys games, doesn't take as many risks as the new kids, but he keeps winning and winning... His shotmaking ability combined with an uncanny knack for burying the cueball where you are completely screwed is amazing.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
BUD GREEN said:
Some off the top of my head:

1. Rempe/Fusco : an old Legends of OP tape with Freddie B. doing commentary. Fusco tortures Rempe with old school one hole squeezing. Good tape for learning fundamental strategies. Excellent commentary.

2. Fusco/Varner : another old tape. fusco does player review commentary and the match is solid old style one pocket.

3. Hall/Efren: Buddy beats Efren 4-1 and plays almost perfect 1-P. Efren never really gets a chance. How often do you hear that?

4. Parica/Pagalayan 2000 world : quick games with the break ball falling 3-4 times in a row. Quick fun match to watch runouts.

5. Parica/Bugs Rucker : classic tape with great commentary. Great players and Hall, Bentivegna, and Cornbread pitch in on some commentary. Any chance to see Bugs is worth it.

6. Daulton/Reyes 4-3 : their well known match that went hill-hill. Two top players battling it out.

7. R. Allen/JR Gay : good tape to see Ronnie Allen. Unfortunately JR plays fantastic and tortures the legend.

I could go on but basically if you like:

OLD STYLE: try and find the old legends tapes from 91,92,etc... and get as many Fusco,Hopkins,Steve Cook,Bugs,Matthews matches as you can afford. Rumour has it that Accu-Stats may re-release some of their out of print tapes. These tapes have a lot more of the tight,defense orientated games that help you squeeze your opponent.

NEW KIDS: get tapes (from the DCC mainly) of Frost, Pagalayan,Joyner,Deuel. These guy don't play as much defense but play quick exciting games a lot of times where offense dominates. Joyner has been around a while but he tend to play a fast aggressive game.

EFREN: catagory by himself. Not polished like the old guys games, doesn't take as many risks as the new kids, but he keeps winning and winning... His shotmaking ability combined with an uncanny knack for burying the cueball where you are completely screwed is amazing.
That's a pretty good group of tape suggestions -- especially for 'off the top of your head'!

In the Getting Started section here on OnePocket.org, I included this list:

• Efren Reyes vs Billy Palmer D6-1P4
  • Cliff Joyner vs Shannon Daulton D4-1P3
  • Jose Parica vs Alex Pagulayan 1P00-08
  • Shannon Daulton vs Efren Reyes 1P4-11
  • Buddy Hall vs Jeremy Jones 1P98-0

These are mostly relatively recent tapes that should still be in Accu-stats current catalogue. Going back to the early tapes, I'd include some others -- like the Grady/Efren after hours match (no commentary), Daulton vs Bugs, a couple of epic Steve Cook/Hopkins matches, etc. These are all from various 'Legends of One Pocket' tourneys.

Also, the 5 tape set between DiLiberto and Ronnie Allen has a lot of fine stuff. It has no commentary, but the players are mic'd (at least Danny is -- Ronnie ditches his at some point)

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
NH Steve said:
a couple of epic Steve Cook/Hopkins matches, etc. These are all from various 'Legends of One Pocket' tourneys.

Having been fortunate enough to watch/play Nick Varner during my One Pocket tour in 2001 was the best learning experience I had to date in my pool life. But as far as video education in my opinion the nod goes to Hopkins/Cook...the Ali-Frazer matches of One Pocket. I remember the 100 minute saftey war they had one year, I remember watching cook take a half dozen balls outta Hopkins hole in another match. Dont get me wrong, the other guys are great to watch too. The Diliberto/Allen match had its own compelling situations...more of a Hagler-Hearns!!!

Next epic battle...if he ever shows to play will be myself and Sactown Tom...it'll be like Mike Tyson fighting Olive Oil...Quit runnin' from me old man, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Ronnie, Keith and Harry Platis

Ronnie, Keith and Harry Platis

I have a great tape, actually 2, of Ronnie Allen playing partners against Keith and Harry Platis. Ronnie shoots one inning normally and the next inning plays one handed. There are some very educational shots in this $10K per man one pocket match. Much fun to watch too. This match comes up on E-bay frequently at a very reasonable price.