Best Alltime One Pocket Players

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Hi Artie,

I'm reading your posts with great interest. No bull, your words want me to play one hole even more than I do now.

I'm far from a champion player. I'm C+ to B- in 9 ball. But my one pocket game is a bit stronger compared to others in my same shooting ability class, because I play it so much and have the discipline to try to play the right shots. I also started playing it when I was a D player, so it has become part of my overall learning experience. Its shots and strategies are engrained in my 9 ball game as well. It is my favorite game.

Keeping in mind my shooting ability, I'd like to ask you what you consider a mistake. You keep stressing to pay attention to mistakes, and to strive to reduce them.

My question is on identifying mistakes.

Is it a mistake if I miss a ball and sell out? If the shot in question was a shot I can make 8 out of 10 times is it still a mistake?

Is it a mistake if during the end game if I don't freeze the cueball to the bottom rail when excecuting a safety?

Is it a mistake if I have an open table, with a chance to run 5 balls, but I bump a ball with my cue ball and end my run. But I then play a good safety.

The above examples are execution mistakes. For example I know what I want to do, but my pocketing and cue ball control are limiting me.

The next set of examples are decision making:

Is it a mistake to not place the object balls in exact locations on the table when playing end game safeties?

Is it a mistake to play too safe and pass up scoring opportunities?

Is it a mistake to wait too long to loosen up balls by your own hole that don't go because they are tied up?

Is it a mistake if I pass up a shot because I don't know it? I am naive to it.

Are execution or decision making errors only mistakes if you are punished by your opponent after making them?

I know the short answer to most of the above questions are "yes, its a mistake". But I was hoping you could give specific examples of mistakes, keeping in mind we are not all champion level players, and in fact most of us are probably C and B level players.

Thanks!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
Hope to see you soon in Gulfport. George Shimmer and I are going to ride over one day soon. He wants to play on the tables before the tournament.
I'll give you a call the day we arrive. I think you said you are there on Tuesday evening and the weekend. If I'm not mistaken.
I usually get there around 2 P.M. on Tuesday. If y'all are planning to come over, I'll stay into the early evening. I'm generally there on either Sat. or Sun. afternoon as well. Sun. they usually have a little 9-ball tourny in which I rarely play.

Looking forward to seeing you! Tell Joe N. that there are only 9 spots left, so he might want to sign up. BTW, the gumbo sounds real fine...

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
iusedtoberich said:
Hi Artie,

I'm reading your posts with great interest. No bull, your words want me to play one hole even more than I do now.

I'm far from a champion player. I'm C+ to B- in 9 ball. But my one pocket game is a bit stronger compared to others in my same shooting ability class, because I play it so much and have the discipline to try to play the right shots. I also started playing it when I was a D player, so it has become part of my overall learning experience. Its shots and strategies are engrained in my 9 ball game as well. It is my favorite game.

Keeping in mind my shooting ability, I'd like to ask you what you consider a mistake. You keep stressing to pay attention to mistakes, and to strive to reduce them.

My question is on identifying mistakes.

Is it a mistake if I miss a ball and sell out? If the shot in question was a shot I can make 8 out of 10 times is it still a mistake?

Is it a mistake if during the end game if I don't freeze the cueball to the bottom rail when excecuting a safety?

Is it a mistake if I have an open table, with a chance to run 5 balls, but I bump a ball with my cue ball and end my run. But I then play a good safety.

The above examples are execution mistakes. For example I know what I want to do, but my pocketing and cue ball control are limiting me.

The next set of examples are decision making:

Is it a mistake to not place the object balls in exact locations on the table when playing end game safeties?

Is it a mistake to play too safe and pass up scoring opportunities?

Is it a mistake to wait too long to loosen up balls by your own hole that don't go because they are tied up?

Is it a mistake if I pass up a shot because I don't know it? I am naive to it.

Are execution or decision making errors only mistakes if you are punished by your opponent after making them?

I know the short answer to most of the above questions are "yes, its a mistake". But I was hoping you could give specific examples of mistakes, keeping in mind we are not all champion level players, and in fact most of us are probably C and B level players.

Thanks!
I will answer your quistions I answered them once but when I hit submit reply it didnt work. I dont no what happened. Can you wright to much on one Quote? Is their any way you can pull up what I wrote?

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Try hitting back on your browser window a few times. You might get lucky and get to the page you were at while you were writing the text.

For future reference, you might want to write your posts on a word processor or text application (Microsoft Word, or Notepad). When happy with your post, highlight all the text, copy it, and then paste it into your web browser in the reply box. This way, if something goes wrong, which can happen from time to time, you won't have to retype everything. This is especially important with longer posts, which you seem to like making.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
iusedtoberich said:
Try hitting back on your browser window a few times. You might get lucky and get to the page you were at while you were writing the text.

For future reference, you might want to write your posts on a word processor or text application (Microsoft Word, or Notepad). When happy with your post, highlight all the text, copy it, and then paste it into your web browser in the reply box. This way, if something goes wrong, which can happen from time to time, you won't have to retype everything. This is especially important with longer posts, which you seem to like making.

I.U.T.B.R.,

Artie is probably like I was a few mos. ago. My wife finally taught me how to cut and paste, etc. I still am basically computer illiterate.
There is a 1500 character limit on PM's, but for posting (or replying) I don't believe there is a limit. I still want Artie to hire a college girl to help him with his valuable input here on 1P.org. I have offered to help in the interviewing process. :D

Dick

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
I.U.T.B.R.,

Artie is probably like I was a few mos. ago. My wife finally taught me how to cut and paste, etc. I still am basically computer illiterate.
There is a 1500 character limit on PM's, but for posting (or replying) I don't believe there is a limit. I still want Artie to hire a college girl to help him with his valuable input here on 1P.org. I have offered to help in the interviewing process. :D

Dick
Your wright about one thing. I have always had people do all my wrighting and all my bills all I ever did was tell people what to do. And I never learned all the other things that people do every week because I allways had people doing it for me. Even my laundry and shopping and I have been this way my whole life even in prison I had people cook for me and do my laundry and what ever had to be done. I was one of the few people in the whole prison that didnt have a job. And I could do whatever I wanted. My Celly was in charge of the comisary. And my other friend was in charge of the reck room. And I could do what I wanted. I never had a problem. And I guess if you have people doing everything for you youre whole life you dont learn to much. I even wrote my own notes in school and I use to take off one day a week. And the teacher use to say why are you wrighting the notes. And I said my father doesnt wright english and he just signs his name. And I would go fishing or go to a Cub game I would do whatever I wanted. That was great. I didnt learn much. But when I was 16 years old I made 2 thousand dollares a week thats more then 3 times as much as the teachers were gitting. Why would I need to get educated when I was making 3 times as much as the teachers. Didnt make sense to me. But its good to learn everything. And If I could do it all over again. I would learn everything.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Your wright about one thing. I have always had people do all my wrighting and all my bills all I ever did was tell people what to do. And I never learned all the other things that people do every week because I allways had people doing it for me. Even my laundry and shopping and I have been this way my whole life even in prison I had people cook for me and do my laundry and what ever had to be done. I was one of the few people in the whole prison that didnt have a job. And I could do whatever I wanted. My Celly was in charge of the comisary. And my other friend was in charge of the reck room. And I could do what I wanted. I never had a problem. And I guess if you have people doing everything for you youre whole life you dont learn to much. I even wrote my own notes in school and I use to take off one day a week. And the teacher use to say why are you wrighting the notes. And I said my father doesnt wright english and he just signs his name. And I would go fishing or go to a Cub game I would do whatever I wanted. That was great. I didnt learn much. But when I was 16 years old I made 2 thousand dollares a week thats more then 3 times as much as the teachers were gitting. Why would I need to get educated when I was making 3 times as much as the teachers. Didnt make sense to me. But its good to learn everything. And If I could do it all over again. I would learn everything.
Artie, did you play pool in prison? The reason I ask is, back in the late 70's my brother was getting relased from Menard Correctional ad I was just getting serious about pool. Learning from the book Mosconi's, Byrne'sand practicing hard. My brother always loved pool and was better than me so here was my chance to finally beat him. When he got out I took him to the neighborhood poolhall and he beat me like a redheaded stepson. I asked him how could he do that after being away for years? He said "you don't think they have pool tables in prison?" I cracked up.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
philwelch said:
Artie, did you play pool in prison? The reason I ask is, back in the late 70's my brother was getting relased from Menard Correctional ad I was just getting serious about pool. Learning from the book Mosconi's, Byrne'sand practicing hard. My brother always loved pool and was better than me so here was my chance to finally beat him. When he got out I took him to the neighborhood poolhall and he beat me like a redheaded stepson. I asked him how could he do that after being away for years? He said "you don't think they have pool tables in prison?" I cracked up.
Yes The had pool tables in Mcc in Chicago and I won the high run in a tournament and our whole tear got casses of pop free. And everybody enjoyed it. I was down in basement reck and the had a basket ball court and all kinds of weights. And two bar tables and this one guy said to me what do you want to play for and I said whatever you want to play for. And he tried to be real cool in front of all his homes. And said I will play you for a carton of cigarets and I said ok . And that was a big bet in prison. And I asked my friend the german am I going to get paied if I win. He said dont worry about nothing just win. And then we were ready to play when one of hie homies said are you crazey you are going to play him and his homey told him he beats Bugs. And then he told me who are you trying to rob and I said you asked me to play I didnt ask you to play. And he said ok but he wouldnt play. And he felt the presure when my friend the German started staring at him. And that was the end of that game. But I had a lot of fun playing pool and penochle every day. And I didnt have a job in their either. And when I went to taft Prison the had some action their and I beat everybody. Eight Ball was realy my favorite game. And their was nobody their that could play and I beat every one one handed to their two hands. You get a lot of talk but when it comes time to bet and play its a different story. And I would help people with their pool game and the loved it. I wasant looking to beat them out of their few dollares. Even though their were some people in their with money. And a good hustler can make a living playing pool cards and betting sports if you no what you are doing. But I enjoyed my self in both prisons and time went buy very fast. Mcc was not a prison but it was a place were the keepte people before the went to trail and for cotempte of court. MCC is worse then prison. Because of all the changes and I would say doing one year in MCC is like doing two years in prison. I went two prison twice and I was never charged with a crime. THats a good system. But when the have hot nuts to get you the will do whatever the want. Because the have the power to do it. But I played pool in both prisons and it tafft prison I could practice pool all day. It was like being in CAMP but you couldnt leave.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Yes The had pool tables in Mcc in Chicago and I won the high run in a tournament and our whole tear got casses of pop free. And everybody enjoyed it. I was down in basement reck and the had a basket ball court and all kinds of weights. And two bar tables and this one guy said to me what do you want to play for and I said whatever you want to play for. And he tried to be real cool in front of all his homes. And said I will play you for a carton of cigarets and I said ok . And that was a big bet in prison. And I asked my friend the german am I going to get paied if I win. He said dont worry about nothing just win. And then we were ready to play when one of hie homies said are you crazey you are going to play him and his homey told him he beats Bugs. And then he told me who are you trying to rob and I said you asked me to play I didnt ask you to play. And he said ok but he wouldnt play. And he felt the presure when my friend the German started staring at him. And that was the end of that game. But I had a lot of fun playing pool and penochle every day. And I didnt have a job in their either. And when I went to taft Prison the had some action their and I beat everybody. Eight Ball was realy my favorite game. And their was nobody their that could play and I beat every one one handed to their two hands. You get a lot of talk but when it comes time to bet and play its a different story. And I would help people with their pool game and the loved it. I wasant looking to beat them out of their few dollares. Even though their were some people in their with money. And a good hustler can make a living playing pool cards and betting sports if you no what you are doing. But I enjoyed my self in both prisons and time went buy very fast. Mcc was not a prison but it was a place were the keepte people before the went to trail and for cotempte of court. MCC is worse then prison. Because of all the changes and I would say doing one year in MCC is like doing two years in prison. I went two prison twice and I was never charged with a crime. THats a good system. But when the have hot nuts to get you the will do whatever the want. Because the have the power to do it. But I played pool in both prisons and it tafft prison I could practice pool all day. It was like being in CAMP but you couldnt leave.

A very good friend of mine just died in prison. $Bill, Hemicudas, (and many others,) knew him too. He was the oldest man on death row in Tennesee State Prison when he died. He put out a contract on a snitch who was trying to shut his book down. He had a good business and was doing very well. He thought the guy turned him in because he had been a consistant loser. Turns out the snitch was an undercover cop. He was sentenced to death in 1977. The guy he hired, who admitted to pulling the trigger, rolled over and got life, Richie got the death sentence. I'm not saying what he did was right. No one should take someones life. He spent all his remaining years trying to get his sentence reduced to life. As we know, the legal system isn't always fair. He only made ONE mistake. He was basically a good guy. He was 68 years old, and they say he died of natural causes. The only reason his execution was delayed, is because he saved the lives of several prison guards during a major prison riot in the mid-eighties. He was my friend, and I wish I had been there for him at the end.
Richie (the Memphis Flash) Austin 1939-2008 RIP.

Dick

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Dick Mc Morran said:
A very good friend of mine just died in prison. $Bill, Hemicudas, (and many others,) knew him too. He was the oldest man on death row in Tennesee State Prison when he died. He put out a contract on a snitch who was trying to shut his book down. He had a good business and was doing very well. He thought the guy turned him in because he had been a consistant loser. Turns out the snitch was an undercover cop. He was sentenced to death in 1977. The guy he hired, who admitted to pulling the trigger, rolled over and got life, he got the death sentence. I'm not saying what he did was right. No one should take someones life. He spent all his years trying to get his sentence reduced to life. As we know, the legal system isn't always fair. He only made ONE mistake. He was basically a good guy. He was 68 years old, and they say he died of natural causes. The only reason his execution was delayed, is because he saved the lives of several prison guards during a major riot in the mid-eighties. He was my friend, and I wish I had been there for him at the end.

Dick

My friend God rest his soul, Sonny Springer, spent some years in the federal slam in the mid 70s, possession of counterfeit cash. Sonny showed up at a pool tournament in St. Louis fresh out of prison. Fatty was there. Fatty knew Sonny had been in the slam and figured Sonny to be dead out of stroke from his incarceration, wrong. The federal prison Sonny was in had 9' Gold Crown tables and he had been playing every day and was in dead stroke. It only cost Fatty about $2K. I miss, Sonny Springer. Like Artie, Sonny had other games he made money with as well.

Deeman

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
A very good friend of mine just died in prison. $Bill, Hemicudas, (and many others,) knew him too. He was the oldest man on death row in Tennesee State Prison when he died. He put out a contract on a snitch who was trying to shut his book down. He had a good business and was doing very well. He thought the guy turned him in because he had been a consistant loser. Turns out the snitch was an undercover cop. He was sentenced to death in 1977. The guy he hired, who admitted to pulling the trigger, rolled over and got life, he got the death sentence. I'm not saying what he did was right. No one should take someones life. He spent all his years trying to get his sentence reduced to life. As we know, the legal system isn't always fair. He only made ONE mistake. He was basically a good guy. He was 68 years old, and they say he died of natural causes. The only reason his execution was delayed, is because he saved the lives of several prison guards during a major riot in the mid-eighties. He was my friend, and I wish I had been there for him at the end.

Dick

Amen Dick. I knew Richard very well back in the early 1970's as did most players in the Memphis area. As you say, he may have had flaws but was a stand up guy in all the dealings I had with him. I have been gone from Tennessee for so long, i had no idea he was in prison. Thanks for letting us know of his passing. I think a lot of folks have a story or two about him.

DeeMan

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Deeman said:
Amen Dick. I knew Richard very well back in the early 1970's as did most players in the Memphis area. As you say, he may have had flaws but was a stand up guy in all the dealings I had with him. I have been gone from Tennessee for so long, i had no idea he was in prison. Thanks for letting us know of his passing. I think a lot of folks have a story or two about him.

DeeMan
I am sorry that he had to spend the rest of his life in prison. But some times the price is to high to pay. But satifaction is also a big price to pay. And some people would rather get satisfaction then life their hole life thinking about a rat. And the goverment protecks the rats and gives them the best deal. And if he was a book maker that was a big price to pay. All because he didnt have a lisence to book. A peace of paper that says you can book. Witch the goverment gives to the casinos. But not to private people who want to book. ITs all wrong and needs to be changed. If someone wants to be a bookmaker the should be allowed to get a liscence and book. And make them lagit. You can get a gambling stamp from the goverment but its still not legale to book.And you can even pay taxes on what you made booking. Booking is noting but a minor crime and all you need is a peace of paper to say you can book. In the olden days the use to get busted about 10 times and nothing would happen but a small fine. Nowe days the want to take everything you have and lock you up for life because of all the money thats involved. But again thats or system. And its all about makeing deals with RATS. THats what the justice system has become. Its not about justice. Its all about lets make a deal. And the rats always get away because the allways find someone new to rat on.

Matt_24

Verified Member
Artie, Could you tell us about the time you gambled with Nick Varner? What do you think of his one pocket game?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Matt_24 said:
Artie, Could you tell us about the time you gambled with Nick Varner? What do you think of his one pocket game?
I will tell you about nick Varner and when we played. I will waite about 30 minutes because I just got done wriighting about 2 and a half houers worth of answers to one pocket on a OUOTE and when I submit reply it was gone again. It was all the work and answers that Iusedtoberich wrote. I dont no WHY the submite reply didnt work. I put in a lot of time and effort for the second time. But I will anwersto your quistion Matt.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Steve, When you can find time, you need to help AB with his problems like you did me when I was confused. It is really frustrating to spend hours trying to respond, only to see it lost in cyberspace. and Artie, don't be so stubborn,
get some help. I would help but I don't know much more than you. :confused:

Dick

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Steve, When you can find time, you need to help AB with his problems like you did me when I was confused. It is really frustrating to spend hours trying to respond, only to see it lost in cyberspace. and Artie, don't be so stubborn,

Dick

Matt_24

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I will tell you about nick Varner and when we played. I will waite about 30 minutes because I just got done wriighting about 2 and a half houers worth of answers to one pocket on a OUOTE and when I submit reply it was gone again. It was all the work and answers that Iusedtoberich wrote. I dont no WHY the submite reply didnt work. I put in a lot of time and effort for the second time. But I will anwersto your quistion Matt.

Thanks Artie. The quotes can be confusing. Sometimes I find it better just to reply on the quote......without quoting it, until you get the hang of it. Can't wait to hear more stories!

I ask about Nick, because he is my favorite player---and I hear you beat him pretty good back in the day, so I find that incredibly impressive and want to hear about it straight from you. Thanks!

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:

Dick
This is for Matt 24 When Nick Varner came to Chicago North Shore Club. Nick Varner beat every one and I had a peace of his action. Nobody in Chicago could beat Nick playing Nine ball or straight pool Nick played all games great even one pocket and banks and eight ball. And also played great bummper pool. He was great at all games. And he beat everyone he played and he beat Garr real good playing bumper pool. And I spent more time up at North Shore then any 3 people up their. And after the action slowed down I pl;ayed one pocket with Nick 30 or 50 dollares a game. I am not sure of the exacte price. But Nick beat me 16 games in a row. I was helpless. And Nick said he was going to play in the US open in New York and I told him good luck. And I new it was very hard for a player from kentucky to beat those East coast straight pool players. Because the were the best at straight pool and that was their game. But Nick Varner played great and he won the US open. I was very proud of Nick when he came back to Chicago. And everyone was scared to play him because he won the US open and he lost a lot of action. And nobody wanted to play him. He was all done. And I told him that I would play him 3 hundred dollares a game. And he couldnt belive it that I wanted to play him some more one pocket after beating me 16 games in a row. WE started playing and I beat him every day 5 days in a row. And Nicks father was one of the nicest men I have ever met in my life. And his father said to Nick if you cant win why do you keep playing. And Nicks reply was I am learning so much I cant Quite. And Nick played one more player Grady the roffer and I played Grady 8 to 5 and the breack and he never won. And Nick asked me how do I play Grady and I told him and he asked me if I wanted half his action. And I said no because I never lost and I didnt no if Nick could beat Grady 8 to 5 Breack apeace. And the played and Grady one and Nick thought that I was in with Grady. But I swear on my moters life I did not have any of Gradies bet and I didnt double steer you and I want you to no that. And as far as Nicks one pocket game he played a very safe mistake free game of one pocket like Hopkines. And thats a great way to play and the beat almost every liven human. But that game will not beat a one pocket player that knowes how to play the game correctly and mistake free. And Nick has given his whole life to pool and if he wants to learn how to play correct one pocket mistake free. I will show him the secret next time he comes to las Vegas Free. Because of his loyalty and dedication to the game of pool. But he cant tell no oneelse. And I will clean up my table and but on a new Samonis cloth that Larry Swartz sent me and thank you again MR Larry Swartz for the cloth. And I had 8 cats living in the garage and sleeping on the pool table. And If Nick wants to take up the once in a life time offer then I will teach him what he and nobody else ever knew about the game. Correct one pocket mistake free. And after nick learns it he mite never go to sleep again. Its Nicks Chritmus present if he wants it for all his hard work and loyalty to the game.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
I usually get there around 2 P.M. on Tuesday. If y'all are planning to come over, I'll stay into the early evening. I'm generally there on either Sat. or Sun. afternoon as well. Sun. they usually have a little 9-ball tourny in which I rarely play.

Looking forward to seeing you! Tell Joe N. that there are only 9 spots left, so he might want to sign up. BTW, the gumbo sounds real fine...

Doc

Doc

I talked with Joe N. and he won't be signing up. He says he can't take the probable late hours of play that often ensues during a tournament. I am still thinking of signing myself but I have never played competively in that kind of scenario. I'm sure it would be good experience.

G. Sheerer and I won't be coming this tues. but maybe the next. It depends on his flying schedule. I'll give you a call if and when we come.

george

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
gbru said:
DocI talked with Joe N. and he won't be signing up. He says he can't take the probable late hours of play that often ensues during a tournament. I am still thinking of signing myself but I have never played competively in that kind of scenario. I'm sure it would be good experience.
George, I hope you sign up. You'd be sitting pretty good with the handicap system. It would be a unique experience, since very few good paying 1P tournaments are handicapped.

As far as the hours, play should be finished by midnight on Saturday, with the final 8 returning on Sunday. We'll have a pretty good estimate of the match times, so tell Joe he can go out and take a nap in his car, and we'll come and wake him up!:D

Doc