banking the ball backwards

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Dudley,

I'm an old machinist turned cutting tool salesman myself. We had single image photos of these processes in the old days and they looked very similar. What you and I know is that it would be even more fascinating if we could get comparative photography while imposing the many variables that will change the picture such as: sfm, chip width, face geometry, etc.

I sold carbide cutting tools back in the 60's. Before that I was a route salesman for a saw company outside of Los Angeles.

In those days almost every bowling alley had a pool room in it and many of them had snooker tables where they played golf, my game of choice in those days. When I found a place with some golf action, I would arrange my schedule so I could spend a few hours playing one day a week.

Turns out the only player who ever beat me was a guy named Chico at Gage Bowl, just a couple miles from my work. He ran six and out on those loose bowling alley 5 x 10's the first game we played for $10/1. I put a move on him and jacked the bet to $20/2. He beat me for $300. The move did not work.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If I have been conspicuous by my absence on this thread, it is because I have decided to express what I know about this subject -- contrary to what some might think I know-- (and what I know is considerable) on a personal basis, one to one. If I see ya I'll help ya.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I sold carbide cutting tools back in the 60's. Before that I was a route salesman for a saw company outside of Los Angeles.

In those days almost every bowling alley had a pool room in it and many of them had snooker tables where they played golf, my game of choice in those days. When I found a place with some golf action, I would arrange my schedule so I could spend a few hours playing one day a week.

Turns out the only player who ever beat me was a guy named Chico at Gage Bowl, just a couple miles from my work. He ran six and out on those loose bowling alley 5 x 10's the first game we played for $10/1. I put a move on him and jacked the bet to $20/2. He beat me for $300. The move did not work.

Ah, bowling alley pool. The sound of the balls rolling and hitting the pins and the pins bouncing everywhere still puts me in the pool trance. Honestly, when I was still in Michigan, I used to go to the bowling alley once a week for practice. I could never get that good of practice at the pool hall. Too much distraction and opportunity at the pool hall. The bowling alley offered complete relaxation and immersion in solitary practice.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Johnny, remember the Saturday golf games at Monterey Park lanes. That game went from 11 am til 2am with players on stand by. I would buy a dime of bennies and put them in the ash trays that were on the wall. Guys that took some would play until closing. Saturdays were good for $200 to $300 without even trying. Fair money for the sixties. Remember Pat the bookie. Always laughing and joking but steady losing. You were one of the smart ones and kept yourself under control.

P.S. Chico could only play well at Gage bowl. He used to Play at the Hard Time until a couple of years ago,

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Dudley,

I'm an old machinist turned cutting tool salesman myself. We had single image photos of these processes in the old days and they looked very similar. What you and I know is that it would be even more fascinating if we could get comparative photography while imposing the many variables that will change the picture such as: sfm, chip width, face geometry, etc.

Petie and John,

It's good to know there are some others that have worked in this industry... It's sort of a dying trade nowadays but we're doing our best to keep the spindles turning.

I'm a youngster but I've been machining since I was 16. (18 years now)

Our biggest machine a Monarch CNC Mill weighs 26,000 lbs. We poured pads with anchor bolts and leveled it ourselves. It was a big project. When the anchor bolt pattern worked and the machine was placed over the bolts we were extremely happy. Some pics are below if anyone is curious. The last one is of us machining a plate roughly 24" wide X 40" long.

Cheers,

Dudley

2011-05-22 20.04.10.jpg

2011-05-23 07.23.35.jpg

2011-05-31 11.54.19.jpg

2012-11-06 16.18.03.jpg

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Johnny, remember the Saturday golf games at Monterey Park lanes. That game went from 11 am til 2am with players on stand by. I would buy a dime of bennies and put them in the ash trays that were on the wall. Guys that took some would play until closing. Saturdays were good for $200 to $300 without even trying. Fair money for the sixties. Remember Pat the bookie. Always laughing and joking but steady losing. You were one of the smart ones and kept yourself under control.

P.S. Chico could only play well at Gage bowl. He used to Play at the Hard Time until a couple of years ago,

Pat snuck Freddy Nima, who might have been the best snooker player that nobody ever heard of on the west coast, in on me at George's on the tight 5 x 10 there. The whole joint went off on me and they won a bunch.

Pat was a trip, always wearing rock and roll T shirts and high on life lol.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
If I have been conspicuous by my absence on this thread, it is because I have decided to express what I know about this subject -- contrary to what some might think I know-- (and what I know is considerable) on a personal basis, one to one. If I see ya I'll help ya.

Beard

I doubt anybody noticed Freddy: You ain't in Kansas anymore:p:D.

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

I doubt anybody noticed Freddy: You ain't in Kansas anymore:p:D.

RBL

Youre right Dennis. I have become a nonentity.

Beard

Stop feeling sorry for yourself Freddy. My point was that the thread was never about how to bank that ball backwards & cross-corner, it was about the video that lll posted with Bugs shooting bank shots.

It is now about CNC Milling machines:confused:.

Dennis

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Stop feeling sorry for yourself Freddy. My point was that the thread was never about how to bank that ball backwards & cross-corner, it was about the video that lll posted with Bugs shooting bank shots.

It is now about CNC Milling machines:confused:.

Dennis

Sorry about the distraction... Just felt like sharing with the others.

If I want to talk more about machining/equipment it I'll start another thread in the members only area.

Dudley

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Being a machinist the video below fascinates me.... What is actually happening during a cut in steel. :) The video showcases different coatings on the cutting tool.

Dudley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuSYQ5Npek

If I want to talk more about machining/equipment it I'll start another thread in the members only area.

Dudley

No problem here, Dudley, and I'm sure most of us have no problem with your posts in this thread.

If you'd like to start a thread, I'm sure many of us would follow it.

That's fascinating stuff, and we never would have seen it if this thread hadn't steered itself that way.

That's why I usually read almost all threads, even if the title tells me I won't be interested. Sometimes you run across something unrelated but interesting.

Like this. :)

Thanks again everybody. This has been a great thread so far!

-Blake

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
No problem here, Dudley, and I'm sure most of us have no problem with your posts in this thread.

If you'd like to start a thread, I'm sure many of us would follow it.

That's fascinating stuff, and we never would have seen it if this thread hadn't steered itself that way.

That's why I usually read almost all threads, even if the title tells me I won't be interested. Sometimes you run across something unrelated but interesting.

Like this. :)

Thanks again everybody. This has been a great thread so far!

-Blake
Thanks buddy,

The microscopic view of steel cutting is pretty interesting... if you work with metal you think you know what's happening but at that scale it looks totally different than you would picture. It looks like clay.

Dudley

SloMoHolic

Verified Member

Thanks buddy,

The microscopic view of steel cutting is pretty interesting... if you work with metal you think you know what's happening but at that scale it looks totally different than you would picture. It looks like clay.

Dudley

Yeah, it's weird seeing it that way. I now have some ideas for filming welding in microscopic slow motion... That should be pretty cool...

-Blake

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dudley

No distraction at all Dud, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. My point was the thread had run it's course and it's up for grabs. Also, that nobody asked how to bank that ball backwards that I recall. Don't start a new one, I'll never find it:).

Dennis