banking the ball backwards

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm pretty sure that he hit the first deep cut shot with outside but could also be done with inside. The second shot, the straight back underneath him was definitely done with outside. I doubt that that one could be done with inside from that location. What do think John about that second bank, is it even possible to be done with inside?

Frank; I've OVERCUT the backwards across-corner bank MORE often using INSIDE English, rather than outside!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Dearest "sittin' on the porch with a corncob pipe" Breath,

Just so we're clear: what do you think he hit this shot with? Right (outside) or left (inside).

View attachment 8429

If you had been paying attention either of the times you were in the 7th grade you would have understood that I can't really tell what he hit it with.

RBL

Hey I saw that:mad::D I THINK HE HIT IT WITH OUTSIDE ( RIGHT HAND ENGLISH!!!!!) :p CFB!!!!!

PS: did I missssspell the word missspoke:D:frus:sorry Got to run.family is taking me to Red Lobster I'll take this up with you at another date.Have fun fellars And Happy Fathers day to all of the Dads out there!! JB

Was that a "typo" on the last shot of the video? Did he mean to say outside, instead of inside english?

fwiw the picture shows left (inside english )on the first backward cut bank
and he says he uses left english
bb2.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
You can place a ball opposite the 3rd diamond on the long rail, put the cue ball in the corner pocket and with inside English still bank it in the same pocket as the cue ball.

I think the inside just makes for a very thin hit.

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
You can place a ball opposite the 3rd diamond on the long rail, put the cue ball in the corner pocket and with inside English still bank it in the same pocket as the cue ball.

Bill S.

100% CORRECT, Bill!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Bill S.

100% CORRECT, Bill!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Please do video record this shot. I've never been able to make it.

cbd's shot.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'm pretty sure that he hit the first deep cut shot with outside but could also be done with inside. The second shot, the straight back underneath him was definitely done with outside. I doubt that that one could be done with inside from that location. What do think John about that second bank, is it even possible to be done with inside?

No Frank,I do not think that shot can be made with inside english.It would throw the oball out into the table,not toward the pocket.Isn't that what you would think? JB

John Brumback

Verified Member
Let me try to explain my thoughts and facts here. When you are banking a ball Like Buggs did in the first shot... outside english will be "helping english"
inside english would be "hurting english".I'm thinking most everyone here knows this anyway but just incase they don't...when cutting a sharp cut bank way back under him,like he did.. you can make the shot easier by using outside because you will not have to hit the ball so thin and on top of that the outside will help take the oball down table.( It won't be fighting,it will be helping!!!) The only reason any good player would use inside on a shot like this,is if he's tryin to kill the cball somewhere. I sure would like to find someone that wants to shoot this shot with inside against me with my outside:p. John B.

PS: I dare not say that it can't be made the other way:eek: I know it can be,but:):lol

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
On extremely thin cuts the holding English reverses and lengthens the bank
(inside)
Rod.
P.S. What I'm trying to say is when the cut is too thin for the holding English to work the opposite happens.

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
I think Buggs just misspoke and they put the graphics on backwards. They probably did the graphics and voiceover later, and maybe he just got it backwards because he was seeing the shot from the other side.

If you use the J K L keys on the youtube video, you can advance the video frame by frame. You can see during the shot that the stick and his bridge deflects away from us towards the top of the screen, indicating he hit it outside, not inside. You can also see that the CB blocks the view of the tip. The "round" of the CB is in front of the tip, indicating he was hitting the opposite side (outside) of the CB.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I think Buggs just misspoke and they put the graphics on backwards. They probably did the graphics and voiceover later, and maybe he just got it backwards because he was seeing the shot from the other side.

If you use the J K L keys on the youtube video, you can advance the video frame by frame. You can see during the shot that the stick and his bridge deflects away from us towards the top of the screen, indicating he hit it outside, not inside. You can also see that the CB blocks the view of the tip. The "round" of the CB is in front of the tip, indicating he was hitting the opposite side (outside) of the CB.

I believe you are correct.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

i never knew about the J K L buttons thanks for that:)
i agree with your reasonig and conclusion

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
If you listen carefully to people you will notice that it is not infrequent that people will mistake right for left and vice versa. If you question or correct them they usually quickly abandon their call (either right or left) and reverse it. This has led me to believe that many people do not know the difference and like illiteracy have masked it their entire lives.

bstroud

Verified Member
My experience with banking a ball backwards is that the hit on the object ball is SO thin that the type of English doesn't matter.

Inside just seems to allow a thinner hit because of Squirt on the cue ball.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
On extremely thin cuts the holding English reverses and lengthens the bank (inside) Rod.
P.S. What I'm trying to say is when the cut is too thin for the holding English to work the opposite happens.

That's a pretty good description. I've seen it work, and I've shot it myself to see it work, but I still don't understand why. On the surface it doesn't make sense. I'm still wondering if the extreme holding english (inside) doesn't cause squirt, thereby providing a thinner cut on the OB.

Doc

backplaying

Verified Member
That's a pretty good description. I've seen it work, and I've shot it myself to see it work, but I still don't understand why. On the surface it doesn't make sense. I'm still wondering if the extreme holding english (inside) doesn't cause squirt, thereby providing a thinner cut on the OB.

Doc

It does seem to make the ball scoot at certain angles using inside.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Apparently I must have been talking to myself when I said that I didnt need to view a video of Bugs shooting that shot to determine what english he uses. the fact that I have played him 100 times and have had him shoot that shot on me a zillion times should have some validity in itself.

Has that "new" member Mc the Mick besmirched my reputation to the point where one cant take my word for anything?
I really dont mean to be paranoid, and I am not taking it out on you, but i am venting.

And finally, I shoot the shot real good myself.

Beard