B. Incardona vs. S. Smith 1998 W.O.P.#3

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow, Billy looks in a world of trouble here. I'm assuming there isn't room to sneak down the rail by the closest ball to him to make the hanging combo?

timdog24

Verified Member
If I could, I would shoot that stripe straight ahead into the ball hanging with speed and stop the cue ball and glance the stripe out of there. But, that might not be available. Then, I'd see if I could one rail kick the ball hanging in, but that doesn't look natural.

You might be forced to play a fram type of shot, shooting the one into the stripe, making the hanging ball with speed and draw the cue ball up towards the top right corner. Then you need some love from the pool gods.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Looks pretty bad from here. I say "Do Something-Pray & Hope" I would shoot the 9 into the inside of the 10 or whatever, since it should still clip the ball hanging in the pocket. Draw the cueball back on the rail and hope you get a better shot next inning. Hopefully leaving him 9 ft away and possibly blocked is all you can hope for.

I am NOT a Dr, nor am I related to Cole Dixon!
billy2.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Billy could kick off the side rail using Grady's english system, because the hanging ball is a decent target with sideboards. It looks like he would have to kick somewhere around the one and a half diamond, with a full tip of left english. But for me that would be a tough kick.

Another thought I had is to softly roll the cue ball (taking a scratch) to bump that combo that looks like it kind heads toward Billy's pocket, but leave the cue ball behind that wall. The idea being twofold -- one, to hope your opponent leaves you a better kicking or take out angle after their next shot, and two, hoping to create a makeable combo out of those two balls that your restricts where your opponent can leave you on their next shot.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-04-12_07-28-00.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-04-12_07-28-00.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve somehow i didnt read your last post as i was figuring if the kick would go using gradys system (if you remember the video i can hear grady saying "if that were blocked ......")
i drew the rail hit alittle low
b1.jpg

senor

Verified Member
timdog24 said:
If I could, I would shoot that stripe straight ahead into the ball hanging with speed and stop the cue ball and glance the stripe out of there. But, that might not be available. Then, I'd see if I could one rail kick the ball hanging in, but that doesn't look natural.

You might be forced to play a fram type of shot, shooting the one into the stripe, making the hanging ball with speed and draw the cue ball up towards the top right corner. Then you need some love from the pool gods.

Framalamadingdong...I like it. Sometimes your only hope is the special of the day.

The one rail kick might be ok, but I would think it was more ok if the cue ball wasn't on the rail. Obviously, the shot will need a little juice to the cue ball.

Red, that's a pretty sneaky little shot there to draw the cue ball back after playing the triple-lindy. That might be the ticket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Billy is in a real spot here! I might roll the CB off the left side of the 10-ball down to Billy's corner. Smith could only get one from there, which would take the hanger out of Billy's hair. Smith wouldn't want to break up the balls near his hole, and if he left the CB back up table Billy would surely have more options than his present leave.

It might be even better to roll the 10 right into the 2-15 cluster to try to get some stuff near Billy's hole. It would be important to try to use the 6-ball as a blocker.

If Billy could ever get down table, then he could start knocking balls away from Smith's pocket.

This also might be a good time to use a jump shot-- jumping over the 1-ball into the 12-9 combo.

I'm curious to see what Cardone did...

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
gulfportdoc said:
Billy is in a real spot here! I might roll the CB off the left side of the 10-ball down to Billy's corner. Smith could only get one from there, which would take the hanger out of Billy's hair. Smith wouldn't want to break up the balls near his hole, and if he left the CB back up table Billy would surely have more options than his present leave.

It might be even better to roll the 10 right into the 2-15 cluster to try to get some stuff near Billy's hole. It would be important to try to use the 6-ball as a blocker.

If Billy could ever get down table, then he could start knocking balls away from Smith's pocket.

This also might be a good time to use a jump shot-- jumping over the 1-ball into the 12-9 combo.

I'm curious to see what Cardone did...

Doc
if billy leaves him by his own ( billy's) pocket
why wouldnt he( smith) want to loosen up the 2 balls by his hole??:confused:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Possible Combination

Possible Combination

does the 6 ball-8 ball combination go. i know its not easy but as the experts always says if it comes down to a tough safety or a tough shot , the shot is the correct choice. if the combination would go, i would slow roll the cue ball and leave it down at the bottom of the table so i could deal with the balls by the lizard's pocket

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It looks to me that he can pass on the rail side of the oneball. If this is true, he should slow roll the combo in leaving the stripe makeable and, if possible, the cue behind the two balls near the pocket so as to give Smith little to work with if he misses the combo. He can make a few balls from here with forethought, precise shapes, and adaptability. The problem with the kick off of Smiths side rail is that it is only a one-ball run with substantial risk.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
No kick shots for me. I like CaliRed's shot.
Although I'd mash the 1 ball into everything down there and draw back to the rail.
My game doesn't allow me to be too exact when shooting real hard , but I can hit'em hard enough to move many away, hopefully to my side. :rolleyes:
As Jersey Red used to say
"I don't know where they're going, but they're not staying there.":D
Rod.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
CaliRed said:
Looks pretty bad from here. I say "Do Something-Pray & Hope" I would shoot the 9 into the inside of the 10 or whatever, since it should still clip the ball hanging in the pocket. Draw the cueball back on the rail and hope you get a better shot next inning. Hopefully leaving him 9 ft away and possibly blocked is all you can hope for.

I am NOT a Dr, nor am I related to Cole Dixon!
View attachment 2764
This looks like the best shot for such a bad situation. Maybe hitting the nine ball to go rail first, that way the nine or the seven ball or both might to your side of the table. If you leave him long he might not have a free shot and decide to go into a defensive mode. Good option Greg.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
petie said:
It looks to me that he can pass on the rail side of the oneball. If this is true, he should slow roll the combo in leaving the stripe makeable and, if possible, the cue behind the two balls near the pocket so as to give Smith little to work with if he misses the combo. He can make a few balls from here with forethought, precise shapes, and adaptability. The problem with the kick off of Smiths side rail is that it is only a one-ball run with substantial risk.
Well this is about as close to what Bill did as anything. I know it was hard to tell from the posted pic but it was the only pic available. The 12 comes off the rail, makes the 9 and then hits the 3. The cueball stays behind the 11 ball.

P.S. Bill, you showed me something with this shot but your next shot is even better;) .

Bill's Shot #1.jpg

Here's how he left it for Smith:

Bill's Leave.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
NH Steve said:
Wow, Billy looks in a world of trouble here. I'm assuming there isn't room to sneak down the rail by the closest ball to him to make the hanging combo?
i gues we both assumed wrong:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here's how he left it for Smith:

View attachment 2771
That's about the best outcome for the shot Billy chose. But now Smith can bank the 3-ball over to his pocket and roll the CB up through the 8-14 slot to the corner area, putting Billy into serious jeopardy again.

Since the 12 couldn't be hit straight on, I think the key to the initial layout was to either move some balls towards Billy's hole, or to force Steve to make the hanger from a weak lie-- to where he couldn't get shape, or be forced to knock some balls away from his pocket.

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
No, I think Smith will go off the right side of the one and put Billy on the head rail on Billy's side of the table. This is still a pickle but Billy escaped the nut trap he was facing just one shot ago. If Smith tries to bank the 3 and get between the 14 and 8, he's asking for trouble because the 3 has such a small pocket and the 8-14 gap is so small from the tangient of the 3. Too many possible kisses.