artie at the eightball

frmn

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
144
artie was seen competing in the bca seniors or super seniors. how was your experience and what did you think of all the eightball competitions?
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
frmn said:
artie was seen competing in the bca seniors or super seniors. how was your experience and what did you think of all the eightball competitions?
THe Guy I played was A great player. And Whatever I did I couldnt win. Because he had the first breack and ran out every time. And he would have beat anyone in the world playing that way. It WAs Breack Apeace. As Far as most of the other players. The were not good players. And THe Guy That Beat Me Had To Loose Twice To come in second place. And He beat another good player in the tprnement. Hescheck. And Hercheck beat Dock when he played him. And Hercheck is a good player. PUt when A player runs out every game he bracks getting the first shot he cannot be beat. And He could have won the pro bar champion chip the way he played. And he played solid and smart eight ball. And me playing him I would not be the favorite. But I could win. He just happened to do everything wright. But he was no easy coustmer. He played the game good. I didnt see dock play who one the tournement. But I guess he must have played good to wi. If Edwards Would Have Won He Would have Gone Through the whole tournement undfeated. And thats is hard to do when you have to beat 8 different people and go undefeated. But both of these players played good enough to win in the pro tournement. And the rest of the field was not in that class.
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,189
Artie Bodendorfer said:
THe Guy I played was A great player. And Whatever I did I couldnt win. Because he had the first breack and ran out every time. And he would have beat anyone in the world playing that way. It WAs Breack Apeace. As Far as most of the other players. The were not good players. And THe Guy That Beat Me Had To Loose Twice To come in second place. And He beat another good player in the tprnement. Hescheck. And Hercheck beat Dock when he played him. And Hercheck is a good player. PUt when A player runs out every game he bracks getting the first shot he cannot be beat. And He could have won the pro bar champion chip the way he played. And he played solid and smart eight ball. And me playing him I would not be the favorite. But I could win. He just happened to do everything wright. But he was no easy coustmer. He played the game good. I didnt see dock play who one the tournement. But I guess he must have played good to wi. If Edwards Would Have Won He Would have Gone Through the whole tournement undfeated. And thats is hard to do when you have to beat 8 different people and go undefeated. But both of these players played good enough to win in the pro tournement. And the rest of the field was not in that class.
Artie, what did you think of the BCA rules? I am playing in an 8b tournament (BCA rules) tomorrow night to qualify for a place in a tournament of winners later. I have been looking the rules over. I don't like leaving an illegally pocketed ball down or the ball-in-hand anywhere on the table rule on a foul, although that one can win you the game if you can hook the other guy real good. I have been practicing a little and I still love the game, especially the strategy and figuring out the pattern to shoot to run out. What did you learn about playing under the BCA rules? Thanks.

Skin
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
Skin said:
Artie, what did you think of the BCA rules? I am playing in an 8b tournament (BCA rules) tomorrow night to qualify for a place in a tournament of winners later. I have been looking the rules over. I don't like leaving an illegally pocketed ball down or the ball-in-hand anywhere on the table rule on a foul, although that one can win you the game if you can hook the other guy real good. I have been practicing a little and I still love the game, especially the strategy and figuring out the pattern to shoot to run out. What did you learn about playing under the BCA rules? Thanks.

Skin
I Dont Like Thier Rules At bAll The Are Horrable And I Would No Play Tough Action Money Games By Those Rules. I Dont Like Looser breacks. I Dont Like Gicing AnyBody Cue Ball In Hand On A Foul. I Dont Like The Rule When You Ake A Strip On THe Breack You Have Choice Of balls. And I dont Like You Make The Eight On The Brack You Dont Win. You Make The Nibe Ball On The Breack You Win.And This Is The dummest rule The Made That Has Been Thier For Hundreds Of Years. You Scratch the Cue Ball On THe Eight Ball You Dont Loose Its Stupied And Redicoulous. And Only Some Micky Mouse Fool Could Have Made THat Rule. I never Said nothing About the rules tell know. But THe Are Horrable. And I would Not Play for big money with those rules. But In A tournement it does not matter. And The Rules Are The Same For everyone. And You cant change the rules in a tournement. WEre If You Are Gambling You Can Agree to What Rules you are going to plat by. Good Luck In The Tournement. THe Are Fun And Make You Play And Think. Enjoy the momont .And Realy have fun and Enjoy yourself. THats What Tournemets are. I enjoyed playing. And its always a challange.
 

Fatboy

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
678
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I Dont Like Thier Rules At bAll The Are Horrable And I Would No Play Tough Action Money Games By Those Rules. I Dont Like Looser breacks. I Dont Like Gicing AnyBody Cue Ball In Hand On A Foul. I Dont Like The Rule When You Ake A Strip On THe Breack You Have Choice Of balls. And I dont Like You Make The Eight On The Brack You Dont Win. You Make The Nibe Ball On The Breack You Win.And This Is The dummest rule The Made That Has Been Thier For Hundreds Of Years. You Scratch the Cue Ball On THe Eight Ball You Dont Loose Its Stupied And Redicoulous. And Only Some Micky Mouse Fool Could Have Made THat Rule. I never Said nothing About the rules tell know. But THe Are Horrable. And I would Not Play for big money with those rules. But In A tournement it does not matter. And The Rules Are The Same For everyone. And You cant change the rules in a tournement. WEre If You Are Gambling You Can Agree to What Rules you are going to plat by. Good Luck In The Tournement. THe Are Fun And Make You Play And Think. Enjoy the momont .And Realy have fun and Enjoy yourself. THats What Tournemets are. I enjoyed playing. And its always a challange.

i agree they are the worst possible rules ever.i believer they were made for the refree's-what i mean is it makes it easier for the refrees to officate the game, they dont care about the players. they made them so there is less to argue about-thats what i think. sctatching on the 8 ball is a foul and should AWALYS be a loss af game-period. those rules are not for players/gamblers they are for social league people and make it easy for the tournment directors/refrees to run a match.


I played in one tournment with those rules, I forfited cause my back went out in my second match, i lost my first match. A guy scratched on the 8 ball, they said I had ball in hand, I had 2 balls left and the 8 all open, I took the CB made my shot-one stroked it cause i was hurting so bad I couldnt stand it, i scratched and just went home. I couldnt have won the tournment, hated the rules and was pissed off. I would have beat the guy I was playing that match but the next match I would have had little chance to win anyways. It wasnt worth tha aggrivation.
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,596
I don't like 1 foul, ball in hand in 8-ball anymore than I like it in 9-ball. In 8-ball, if you scratch on the 8, it should be loss of game.

However making the 8 on the break should not be a win; nor should it be a win in 9-ball. It's not a skill shot. It's a luck shot. Pool cannot be considered a game of skill as long as there are so many luck rules in force.

Doc
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,868
push out 9 ball is where its at.lose ona scratch in 8 ball should be a nobrainer. we live in a crazy world. good luck skin.
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
lll said:
push out 9 ball is where its at.lose ona scratch in 8 ball should be a nobrainer. we live in a crazy world. good luck skin.
The Should play push out in nine ball.And PLaying eight ball and you make a stip on the breack you should have a strip.you should not get your choice. And If You are going to give cue ball in had give it to the player behind the breack line.
Its Unblivable how the let the fools make the rules. Its the same way in our contry The Fools make the jaws. Not the qualified people. Push out in eight ball wouldnt be a bad rule either. I always played shoot to hit your ball. THat was the only way I played Not one Foul and you get to breack up your problem ball and run out. But the changed all the rules for TV and Tournements. Just like In Nine Ball THe Play A race To 11 games And For THe Championship The play a race to 7 It Does not get Know Dumber.
 

Fatboy

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
678
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Just like In Nine Ball THe Play A race To 11 games And For THe Championship The play a race to 7 It Does not get Know Dumber.


When I saw that the finals were a race to 7 after all the other rounds were races to 11, I almost fell out of my chair. The players played long hard sets to get to the final day, only to play in crap shoot short sets for the big $$$. That just dilutes the whole thing. Its a TV thing, like pool does good on TV anyways. Its not my show, so I shouldnt complain-but If I was a player in that spot I sure wouldnt be happy about it.
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,189
How about this rule, guys? I've never seen anything like it before in any game. You make a ball, leave the other guy bad at the same time, and then make him take over the table. I'll bet some good brawls have erupted over that rule.

Skin

4.12 “SAFETY” SHOT

For tactical reasons, a player may choose to pocket an obvious object ball and also discontinue a turn at the table by declaring “safety” in advance. A safety shot is defined as a legal shot. If the shooting player intends to play safe by pocketing an obvious object ball, then prior to the shot, the shooter must declare a “safety” to the opponent. It is the shooter’s responsibility to make the opponent aware of the intended safety shot. If this is not done, and one of the shooter’s object balls is pocketed, the shooter will be required to shoot again. Any ball pocketed on a safety shot remains pocketed.
 
Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
Skin said:
How about this rule, guys? I've never seen anything like it before in any game. You make a ball, leave the other guy bad at the same time, and then make him take over the table. I'll bet some good brawls have erupted over that rule.

Skin

4.12 “SAFETY” SHOT

For tactical reasons, a player may choose to pocket an obvious object ball and also discontinue a turn at the table by declaring “safety” in advance. A safety shot is defined as a legal shot. If the shooting player intends to play safe by pocketing an obvious object ball, then prior to the shot, the shooter must declare a “safety” to the opponent. It is the shooter’s responsibility to make the opponent aware of the intended safety shot. If this is not done, and one of the shooter’s object balls is pocketed, the shooter will be required to shoot again. Any ball pocketed on a safety shot remains pocketed.
Thats A real good rule isnt it. I forgot all about that rule.How can you shoot one of your balls in the pocket. And say you are playing safe. Thats another good rule. But we all have to play by the same rules.Its Thier Tournement And Thier Rules.
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,189
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Thats A real good rule isnt it. I forgot all about that rule.How can you shoot one of your balls in the pocket. And say you are playing safe. Thats another good rule. But we all have to play by the same rules.Its Thier Tournement And Thier Rules.
Imagine the scenario Artie. The guy is running out but can't finish the run because he messed up. However, he can make the next ball and hook you bad. He calls a safety, makes the ball, and locks you up. You have to shoot and you foul. He gets ball-in-hand anywhere on the table and finishes his run-out. That ain't pool no matter how you slice it. In fact, I would hesitate to even make that move on a guy I didn't know for fear of getting shot on the spot! :eek:

Skin
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,868
Skin said:
Imagine the scenario Artie. The guy is running out but can't finish the run because he messed up. However, he can make the next ball and hook you bad. He calls a safety, makes the ball, and locks you up. You have to shoot and you foul. He gets ball-in-hand anywhere on the table and finishes his run-out. That ain't pool no matter how you slice it. In fact, I would hesitate to even make that move on a guy I didn't know for fear of getting shot on the spot! :eek:

Skin
is that the same as a spot shot?? lol
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,596
Skin said:
[/I]For tactical reasons, a player may choose to pocket an obvious object ball and also discontinue a turn at the table by declaring “safety” in advance. A safety shot is defined as a legal shot. If the shooting player intends to play safe by pocketing an obvious object ball, then prior to the shot, the shooter must declare a “safety” to the opponent. It is the shooter’s responsibility to make the opponent aware of the intended safety shot. If this is not done, and one of the shooter’s object balls is pocketed, the shooter will be required to shoot again. Any ball pocketed on a safety shot remains pocketed. [/I]
This rule of course was meant for straight pool play, where this tactic is used frequently. That type of shot is not permitted in rotation games. 1 foul, BIH is diabolic enough!!

Doc
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
gulfportdoc said:
This rule of course was meant for straight pool play, where this tactic is used frequently. That type of shot is not permitted in rotation games. 1 foul, BIH is diabolic enough!!

Doc
The old rules playing eight ball were 100 times better then todays rules. The reason is that the people knew what were good rules and what wasant good rules. And the people who should make the rules are the players who gambale and now what the are doing. People like Buddy Hall Varner Allen Hopkins Grady FReddy Ronnie Thoursdand Hommand Efrein Parica Billy Cardone And People who realy know pool. And THe Rules need to be discused. And You need to make rules that make sense. THe Rules in eight ball Have Become a JOKE. They Straight pool rools are ok the havant changed much. And Even Onepocket rules havant changed much. One Pocket Rules Are Good And I am Glad That they dont use Jump Shots Not Because I dont Shoot Them But Because You are Rewarding the player for making a mistake. Or You are letting him get out off a trap that we would not be able to get out. I could learn to shoot jump shots its no big deal. BUt I would like to make a bet that they Rules in one pocket will change and you will be allowed to shot jump shots. But even if the do make that a rule one pocket rules are pretty good. Nine ball rules are Ok Excepte for the role out . And I dont play no nine ball. And Thier is to much shooting up in the air. A lot of rules are made for TV to speed it up and make it look better for Tv. I Dont Agree Because Its About THe GAme Not TV And The players arent getting the money anyway. And If THe Want To Put The Match On Tv And Change THe Silly Rules From 11 Games to 7 for the championchip and the whole tournement was 11 games. THen I Would recomened the play the whole tournement to 7 games. Or Think of another way of doing it. BUt the rules need to be made for the game not just to speed up a tournement. Tv Is Great And It playes a big part in pool. So I would recomened the talk Tv into filming 11 games or make the whole tournement 7 games and that will be better for the weeker players. I dont see them shortning any of the other sports filming. THe show the whole game. And whoever talks to the TV people should get them to do it that way. And belive me If the whant it the will do it with 11 games. Because pool is getting very big. And the bank pool rules havant changed much. Just the games are shorter. But the have realy butchered the eight ball rules.
 

jrhendy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
4,596
Artie Bodendorfer said:
The old rules playing eight ball were 100 times better then todays rules. The reason is that the people knew what were good rules and what wasant good rules. And the people who should make the rules are the players who gambale and now what the are doing. People like Buddy Hall Varner Allen Hopkins Grady FReddy Ronnie Thoursdand Hommand Efrein Parica Billy Cardone And People who realy know pool. And THe Rules need to be discused. And You need to make rules that make sense. THe Rules in eight ball Have Become a JOKE. They Straight pool rools are ok the havant changed much. And Even Onepocket rules havant changed much. One Pocket Rules Are Good And I am Glad That they dont use Jump Shots Not Because I dont Shoot Them But Because You are Rewarding the player for making a mistake. Or You are letting him get out off a trap that we would not be able to get out. I could learn to shoot jump shots its no big deal. BUt I would like to make a bet that they Rules in one pocket will change and you will be allowed to shot jump shots. But even if the do make that a rule one pocket rules are pretty good. Nine ball rules are Ok Excepte for the role out . And I dont play no nine ball. And Thier is to much shooting up in the air. A lot of rules are made for TV to speed it up and make it look better for Tv. I Dont Agree Because Its About THe GAme Not TV And The players arent getting the money anyway. And If THe Want To Put The Match On Tv And Change THe Silly Rules From 11 Games to 7 for the championchip and the whole tournement was 11 games. THen I Would recomened the play the whole tournement to 7 games. Or Think of another way of doing it. BUt the rules need to be made for the game not just to speed up a tournement. Tv Is Great And It playes a big part in pool. So I would recomened the talk Tv into filming 11 games or make the whole tournement 7 games and that will be better for the weeker players. I dont see them shortning any of the other sports filming. THe show the whole game. And whoever talks to the TV people should get them to do it that way. And belive me If the whant it the will do it with 11 games. Because pool is getting very big. And the bank pool rules havant changed much. Just the games are shorter. But the have realy butchered the eight ball rules.
I don't care much for the new rules (not that new anymore) either, but they get several thousand players coming three times a year to play in them, so it is what it is. Just like almost everything else in this world, it's all about the money. Besides, if they played by the old rules the tournament would take a month or two, not a week. The good thing about gambling is you can adjust the rules. The problem is the only guys who would agree to the rules we like are the old pool scuffs like us and there aren't that many out there anymore. I quit playing in the Vegas tournament years ago. After Louie Roybal beat me in the Seniors event the last time I played in it, he told me to quit trying to play pool. He is an older player who has adjusted to the rules very well. He has won just about everything at the Vegas 8 ball tournaments. I just couldn't adjust well enough.
 

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
jrhendy said:
I don't care much for the new rules (not that new anymore) either, but they get several thousand players coming three times a year to play in them, so it is what it is. Just like almost everything else in this world, it's all about the money. Besides, if they played by the old rules the tournament would take a month or two, not a week. The good thing about gambling is you can adjust the rules. The problem is the only guys who would agree to the rules we like are the old pool scuffs like us and there aren't that many out there anymore. I quit playing in the Vegas tournament years ago. After Louie Roybal beat me in the Seniors event the last time I played in it, he told me to quit trying to play pool. He is an older player who has adjusted to the rules very well. He has won just about everything at the Vegas 8 ball tournaments. I just couldn't adjust well enough.
If you enjoy it I would keep playing. And You are wright the rules were thier for a while know. But I didnt realize how much time has passed by. I quite playing at 38 years old and I am no playing a little at 64 years old. And In my first match I hooked the guy 3 times in a row because I thought you win the game. On three scratches in a row. But I wish the player would have said something sooner when he see what I was trying to do on each shot. But he didnt tell me tell he scratced 3 times in a row. And I did something I never did in my life.I picked the cue ball up off the table because I thought he fouled. And I did That 3 shots in a row. And every time the other player took cue ball in hand and told me he didnt foul. And the 4 time before I picked up the cue ball something in my head told me not to do it again. And I asked the player you didmnt foul did you and he said know. And I didnt pick up the cue ball. But that would have looked real good on tap. But I dont know what I was thinking of. I just keepte thinking he foulsed ans I get to pick up the cue ball. But I realized how strong my concentration still was. My totale concentration was on the game. And I feel real good about that. Because thats a real big part of pool. Your concentration on the game.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
jrhendy said:
I don't care much for the new rules (not that new anymore) either, but they get several thousand players coming three times a year to play in them, so it is what it is. Just like almost everything else in this world, it's all about the money. Besides, if they played by the old rules the tournament would take a month or two, not a week. The good thing about gambling is you can adjust the rules. The problem is the only guys who would agree to the rules we like are the old pool scuffs like us and there aren't that many out there anymore. I quit playing in the Vegas tournament years ago. After Louie Roybal beat me in the Seniors event the last time I played in it, he told me to quit trying to play pool. He is an older player who has adjusted to the rules very well. He has won just about everything at the Vegas 8 ball tournaments. I just couldn't adjust well enough.
John,

I sure understand where you're coming from. Texas Express 9 ball rules came into effect during my time out.
Talk about culture shock. All the young guns, were jumping balls, and turned the game (as I had known it) into something completely different.
I did not adjust well either, and soon gave up on 9 ball.
I was in my late 50's, but I could still get out when I was supposed to, and felt I could still have competed, but I developed a strong dislike for TE rules.
On occasion, I would match up with one of the young guys (who only knew TE,) and make them play the old rules.
Most of them were like a fish out of water, and I had a brief career as a 9 baller at that time, because there was not much 1P action for me in Phx.
However, as the pockets started shrinking, I went back to Golf on big bertha, and 1P exclusively.
I think I may have been responsible for Phx becoming more of a 1P town at that time, and I was in action at it almost daily as the players got more into it.
Plus, I was in a lot of hi $$$ action with visiting dignataries, which also helped the locals get even more into 1P. (many of whom I now need weight from)

Dick <---is NOT aging like "fine wine".
 
Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
4,271
SJDinPHX said:
John,

I sure understand where you're coming from. Texas Express 9 ball rules came into effect during my time out.
Talk about culture shock. All the young guns, were jumping balls, and turned the game (as I had known it) into something completely different.
I did not adjust well either, and soon gave up on 9 ball.
I was in my late 50's, but I could still get out when I was supposed to, and felt I could still have competed, but I developed a strong dislike for TE rules.
On occasion, I would match up with one of the young guys (who only knew TE,) and make them play the old rules.
Most of them were like a fish out of water, and I had a brief career as a 9 baller at that time, because there was not much 1P action for me in Phx.
However, as the pockets started shrinking, I went back to Golf on big bertha, and 1P exclusively.
I think I may have been responsible for Phx becoming more of a 1P town at that time, and I was in action at it almost daily as the players got more into it.
Plus, I was in a lot of hi $$$ action with visiting dignataries, which also helped get the locals more into 1P. (many of whom I now need weight from)

Dick <---is NOT aging like "fine wine".
Yes we will serve no wine before its time. And If I gambled with some one that played my speed I would play 8 ball by the old rules. Not this cue ball in hand stuff to make it easy to run out. And you get to breack up your problem ball. Your going to have to play and think to get out. Not playing pool using a ROAD MAPE.
 
Top