Any ideas on what to do from here?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It's your shot and those two balls are next to your opponent's pocket. You need one, they need two -- but given the situation, would you shoot something different if the score was the other way around?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427465240.777137.jpg

Another view:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427465266.346681.jpg

Cory in dc

Verified Member
It's your shot and those two balls are next to your opponent's pocket. You need one, they need two -- but given the situation, would you shoot something different if the score was the other way around?

View attachment 11868

Another view:
View attachment 11869

I can never remember: is an object ball off the table a foul?

In any case, shoot the cueball at the 13 ball to make the 4 ball at warp 7; no, make that warp 9. The 4 goes down, 13 goes off the table (probably the cueball as well), three balls spot, and you start grinding.

This is for the scenario where the opponent needs only 1. If I'm the one that needs 1, I just slow roll the 4 in and take my medicine.

Cory

keoneyo

Verified Member
Cut the striped ball and kick the 4 ball out of the pocket. Hit it firmly to ensure the striped ball goes to the kitchen.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I can never remember: is an object ball off the table a foul?

In any case, shoot the cueball at the 13 ball to make the 4 ball at warp 7; no, make that warp 9. The 4 goes down, 13 goes off the table (probably the cueball as well), three balls spot, and you start grinding.

This is for the scenario where the opponent needs only 1. If I'm the one that needs 1, I just slow roll the 4 in and take my medicine.

Cory

according to our rules an object ball off the table is a foul although "house rules" may vary
from our rule book
6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

as for me
im not sure i could get the 13 to jump off the table from that distance so im rolling in the 4 either way
edit if he needs one i just won the game for him.......:frus....:eek:

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It isn't easy to roll in the 4 without leaving a shot. I think I'd combo the 4 with the 13 and try to get the 13 near the right corner pocket at the head of the table. LH English on cue ball should give a tough angle for any banks except a possible 3 railer. I think I'll get another shot.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This is for sure a very tough spot to be in! It's going to call for all the talent someone has to get out of this trap!

Being the way "I" think, this is the best solution I could come up with!

View attachment 11871

Rail first, 4 cushions as shown and try to come as close as you can to the end rail. By contacting the blue ball as such it looks as if it will come of the tip of the corner and go across the other pocket.

It's risky, NO doubt but, the best shot I feel I could control from there!

Trying to come off the right side of the 13 to carom into the blue ball looks like a scratch to me!

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
according to our rules an object ball off the table is a foul although "house rules" may vary
from our rule book
6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

as for me
im not sure i could get the 13 to jump off the table from that distance so im rolling in the 4 either way

Thanks for the rule quote, that explains why I can never remember if it's a foul or not--it depends!

My shot is for the case where the opponent only needs 1, so rolling in the 4 is no good. As for getting the 13 off the table, it might take a bit of luck, but with a less than full hit on the 4 it should get in the air.

bstroud

Verified Member
Low right off the side rail and stop the cue ball after removing the ball.

Bill S.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
With him needing one I think I would try to double kiss that solid ball out by hitting it on the right side using high right to try to kill the cue ball near that corner pocket after the kiss ( maybe high left, depending on how I plan to get the kiss ). Hitting it not too hard but just enough speed to get the cue ball back to the long rail after the kiss.

P.S. Just tried this shot a few times and had fairly good success hitting the long rail first before striking the object ball. Hitting the cue ball high is important to keep control of the cue ball after the kiss.
With the cue ball starting off being farther to the right rail first is not necessary.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I like Strouds shot. You might get both balls out of play. If he needs them both I might try something else because just about any shot here is risky.

His shot does take a nice smooth powerful stroke. If you jump or flinch a little, probably over. This is the kind of shot I used to execute well but get the yips on now.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Easy to do but why put him on seven intentionally? Ball is not that deep in the hole to give it to him. Even kicking the stripe away you might leave something.

From the pic, it appears the 4 balls center is parallel to the nose of the pocket, and it looked to be too deep to remove. If it was not so deep, I'd just hit the long rail with a slight 3 o'clock cue ball and remove the four easily.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well what Frank (hit softer) and Miller (hit harder) each drew , is what I tried. Surprising me, I missed the carom on the hanger completely -- the cue passed just beyond it. Fortunately, the stripe got out of play far enough that I survived and we battled over the last ball for a while.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Well what Frank (hit softer) and Miller (hit harder) each drew , is what I tried. Surprising me, I missed the carom on the hanger completely -- the cue passed just beyond it. Fortunately, the stripe got out of play far enough that I survived and we battled over the last ball for a while.

For that reason is why you needed to position the stripe ball out of play. I hope you still won the game.