Alf Taylor, the writer

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
No wonder his new book is well written -- it's not his first book! It seems he published a book about collecting Morrocan antiques, back in 1991 (thanks for sending it to me Alfie), titled A Treasure Hunter's Guide to Morroco. Although I must confess, I have mainly just looked at the pictures so far -- which are pretty impressive.

I got a sneak preview of Alfie's book at Derby City, which I read cover-to-cover. It is very entertaining and offers a nice glimpse into both the characters, "spots" and hazards of pool hustling in the 60's and 70's. Alfie seems to have a little macabre fascination with the hazards of hustling especially -- maybe because he is amazed that a self-described lightweight like him actually survived that many close calls for 20 years.

I'm looking forward to the finished version of The Other Side of the Road, Alfie's tales of twenty or so years as a pool hustler, and I highly recommend it as a read.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Got one too...

Got one too...

No wonder his new book is well written -- it's not his first book! It seems he published a book about collecting Morrocan antiques, back in 1991 (thanks for sending it to me Alfie), titled A Treasure Hunter's Guide to Morroco. Although I must confess, I have mainly just looked at the pictures so far -- which are pretty impressive.

I got a sneak preview of Alfie's book at Derby City, which I read cover-to-cover. It is very entertaining and offers a nice glimpse into both the characters, "spots" and hazards of pool hustling in the 60's and 70's. Alfie seems to have a little macabre fascination with the hazards of hustling especially -- maybe because he is amazed that a self-described lightweight like him actually survived that many close calls for 20 years.

I'm looking forward to the finished version of The Other Side of the Road, Alfie's tales of twenty or so years as a pool hustler, and I highly recommend it as a read.

I got the Morocco book too. Thanks, Alf. I am looking forward to posting and selling Alf's other book, The Other Side of the Road, on my website. I also got an early copy at DCC. Great stuff. Alf aint too bad of a writer, and ran with some of the Legends. Alf and I never crossed paths so I aint in it.:frus
Ah what the hell, even without me its still pretty good.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It should also be noted, that around that time (early 90's I believe) Alfie also produced some very high quality pool action, and exhibition DVDs, with Johnny Archer and Efren Reyes. His good friend Bill Staton, does the commentating. Around that time, he also produced, one of the best video's I've ever seen, showcasing (another life long friend of his) Eddie Taylor, and his awesome banking skill's.

Alf didn't cut corners (he never does) on these video's. They were done when he was living in Aspen, and he hired a top notch video production company to do very high quality, multi-camera and sound work...They far eclipsed (in quality) any pool videos from that era, including Accustats.

Sadly, they do not include any one pocket, only 9 ball, and 8 ball, and Eddie's banking skills, but they are so well done, I found them VERY enjoyable...I have encouraged Alfie, to blow the dust off them, and offer them up for sale on AZB and here.. Its good to see Alfie's revived interest in pool again, as every project he immerses himself in, is going to be first class, all the way..:)

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It should also be noted, that around that time (early 90's I believe) Alfie also produced some very high quality pool action, and exhibition DVDs, with Johnny Archer and Efren Reyes. His good friends Bill Staton, and Eddie Taylor do the commentating. At that time, he also produced, one of the best video's I've ever seen, showcasing the 'Bear's' awesome banking skill's.

Alf didn't cut corners (he never does) on these video's. They were done when he was living in Aspen, and he hired a top notch video production company to do very high quality, multi-camera and sound work.

They far eclipsed any pool videos from that era (including Accustats)..Sadly, they do not include any one pocket, only 9 ball, and 8 ball, and Eddie's banking skills, but they are so well done, I found them VERY enjoyable.

I have encouraged Alfie, to blow the dust off them, and offer them up for sale on AZB and here. Its good to see Alfie's revived interest in pool again, as every project he immerses himself in, is going to be first class, all the way.
I've only seen the Eddie Taylor tape, which is terrific. I believe it was done to commemorate his induction into the BCA HOF, and includes a lot of video from that event, and Eddie banging some banks on one of the tables set up in the BCA exhibition hall. But it also includes a long interview with Eddie reflecting on his life in pool, if I recall sitting comfortably at home with his pet cat occasionally wandering in and out of the scene. That is the part I found to be the most fascinating.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I've only seen the Eddie Taylor tape, which is terrific. I believe it was done to commemorate his induction into the BCA HOF, and includes a lot of video from that event, and Eddie banging some banks on one of the tables set up in the BCA exhibition hall. But it also includes a long interview with Eddie reflecting on his life in pool, if I recall sitting comfortably at home with his pet cat occasionally wandering in and out of the scene. That is the part I found to be the most fascinating.

Steve, do you have a picture of Alfie we could see?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Steve, do you have a picture of Alfie we could see?

Petie, lots of pic's of Alf in the book..Just got off the phone with him, and they are at the binder's here in Phx right now..Shouldn't be too long....(but he ain't much to look at).. Just picture a cross between Brad Pitt and James Dean.:D

Last edited:

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
ZOWIE guys

ZOWIE guys

What a nice review to wake up to. Thanks so much for the good words about my writing and video hobbies. I've been in the rug business so long that I get a bigger kick out of selling a twenty five dollar book than a twenty five hundred dollar rug...Wish my wife felt the same.

Thanks again for the reviews, fellows.
Pssst. I'll get your checks in the mail straight away.

Keep it nice. Alfie

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Petie, lots of pic's of Alf in the book..Just got off the phone with him, and they are at the binder's here in Phx right now..Shouldn't be too long....(but he ain't much to look at).. Just picture a cross between Brad Pitt and James Dean.:D

Richard. You're talking about young Alfie.
For a present day image, think a cross between Quasimoto and Ellie Mae Clampet.
But hey! This ain't no beauty contest...is it?
K.I.N A.

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
How's my hair? Where's my hair?

How's my hair? Where's my hair?

I could scan and post a couple of pics from the two books -- only if that is a-okay with Alfie.

Of course it's allright for you to scan a couple of pics, Steve. Pick the younger Alfie, please.
Keep it nice. Alfie