Advice needed

Jlincoln

Hey guys,

I have been playing a guy who gives me 1 hit and a pick. We usually play for $300 a game or so, and he has a lot of people behind him and we can bet more too. I just can't seem to beat him. His shooting ability compared to mine is equal, he has a big advantage in moving and banking. We have played for about 20 hours and he is a 6 game winner. Are there any books I can buy or dvds that will help me with my moving abilities? Any other advice besides the obvious practice? I know the advantage he has is minimal, I just can't seem to take him off banking a ball.

Thanks,

Jesse

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Hey guys,

I have been playing a guy who gives me 1 hit and a pick. We usually play for $300 a game or so, and he has a lot of people behind him and we can bet more too. I just can't seem to beat him. His shooting ability compared to mine is equal, he has a big advantage in moving and banking. We have played for about 20 hours and he is a 6 game winner. Are there any books I can buy or dvds that will help me with my moving abilities? Any other advice besides the obvious practice? I know the advantage he has is minimal, I just can't seem to take him off banking a ball.

Thanks,

Jesse
Jesse, there is a really good book out now. It was recently published, and so far, it is being sold only by the author. It's called; "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression". Coincidentally, it's by a guy named Tom Wirth. Check it out. His email address is shown below.

Tom

bstroud

Verified Member
Jesse,

I would try two things.

Since you have the hit and a pic, I would use the same break but harder and send the cue ball down to the end rail. If a ball goes near his hole, pick it.

The other thing is to go to Zero-X and get the kicking and banking videos. They will help your banking tremendously.

Bill S.

sheldon

Verified Member
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Upscale-One-Pocket-Jack-H-Koehler/dp/0962289035]Upscale One Pocket by Jack Koehler[/ame]

vapros

Verified Member
If this guy is hurting you with his banking, I would guess he is good at the short cross-corner banks. Balls near your long rail within two diamonds of your pocket are his meat. Pay more attention to the shots he likes, and make more effort not to leave them. You might have to make a few moves that look like they are not productive, but if you deny him a ball, it is almost like making one for yourself, and maybe better if it denies him the start of a run. You might be surprised.

beatle

Verified Member
or he plays better than you think and/or is stalling with you ,or you are lousy at judging someones speed.

if he has a bunch of people wanting to bet you, probably they are more right than you are.

so get more weight as you are a loser and can ask for more, and hold out for more.
or improve your banking and cue ball control. and when you get even he probably will quit you and make you lose playing even.

thats why you never let yourself get too far stuck without changing the game constantly. that is, if you are trying to make money from him.

if you are 6 games stuck he has more than a minimal edge over you.

sheldon

Verified Member
Jesse, there is a really good book out now. It was recently published, and so far, it is being sold only by the author. It's called; "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression". Coincidentally, it's by a guy named Tom Wirth. Check it out. His email address is shown below
:D Had to get this one.

Attachments

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Thanks Sheldon. You made a very wise decision. It will be in the mail in the morning. :)

Tom

I knew you were kidding about "Up Scale" :D

sheldon

Verified Member
Thanks Sheldon. You made a very wise decision. It will be in the mail in the morning. :)
Tom
I knew you were kidding about "Up Scale" :D
Actually, there are a few things in Kohler's book that have helped me! I read it before I had played many games of one pocket, so the basic information was helpful. I feel like I've played enough now, that something like your book will also be very helpful. Thank you, in advance. ;)

Jlincoln

Derby City advice

Derby City advice

Thank you all! Tom Wirth, I will definitely buy that book.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Advice needed

Notice: Anyone who buys (and reads) Tom's book needs to increase the spot that they give me by 1-2 balls. You too Sheldon :).

That is all. Carry on. 😉