Accu stats make it happen one pocket invitational

keoneyo

Verified Member
What spurs my interest is watching younger players with talent compete against the best and do well. It doesn't just have to be young players, I also love watching older players that supposedly are on their way out, playing against the best players and "kicking but." It's this kind of action that makes people feel good, we all love watching a legend in the making, or a legend sustaining at an older age. Tony Chohan falls under a little different category, with Tony we're looking at a player that had great potential that abruptly came to an end for doing something stupid in life. Tony's a very likeable man with a lot of talent and many people..including myself would like to see him regain his playing ability and get back in the mix playing upper echelon pool. Of course Tony playing in "high profile" tournaments, or matches, is going to be of interest to many people because it's a great story line, plus he's a good guy. Lets face it, we just like to root for the underdog.

Story lines are the adrenalin that is largely responsible for the popularity in all sports, without great story lines sports would be much less appealing. We wouldn't have Andrew Luck thrilling football fans, or an older George Forman winning the championship at the age of 45. What about all the "Cinderella" teams making their run during the March Maddness NCAA college basketball tournament.:cool: What about Cinderella?? :heh

Of course great players are fun to watch as well, they entertain, they impress, they put us in awe. "Make It Happen" June 25th thru the 28th.

Dr. Bill

Yes I agree with you, Mr Incardona. We cant forget Rodney Morris who has had a great comeback in a relatively short span of time as well as I believe Dennis Hatch. People make mistakes but in the case of Tony Chohan I think he has an exceptional talent for one pocket. I hear he did have a 4X8 in the joint to play on. I hope he used that time to keep in shape. Mentally as well as physically.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Tony Chohan falls under a little different category, with Tony we're looking at a player that had great potential that abruptly came to an end for doing something stupid in life. Tony's a very likeable man with a lot of talent and many people..including myself would like to see him regain his playing ability and get back in the mix playing upper echelon pool. Of course Tony playing in "high profile" tournaments, or matches, is going to be of interest to many people because it's a great story line, plus he's a good guy. ...
Right on about Tony, Bill. I've always liked the guy since I first met him when he was a teenager. He comes from a good family, and is an uncommonly nice guy, in contrast to perhaps some of the people he associated with.

He's still young enough that he could get back to where he was with a little catch-up seasoning. If he plays a lot with good players and gets into competition, he'll be back in no time-- maybe even better!

~Doc

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Yes I agree with you, Mr Incardona. We cant forget Rodney Morris who has had a great comeback in a relatively short span of time as well as I believe Dennis Hatch. People make mistakes but in the case of Tony Chohan I think he has an exceptional talent for one pocket. I hear he did have a 4X8 in the joint to play on. I hope he used that time to keep in shape. Mentally as well as physically.

While I do like Cindarella NCAA stories, any would-be Cinderella has a date with the "Manifest Destiny" that is my UK Wildcats.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

I talked with Tony many times when he was away, he realizes he made a mistake and he's determined to turn his life around. I hope that he does, and I believe he will because I can hear it in his voice. He's got a job at the pool room as the "House Pro" and that's a great opener for him, considering how recently he was released.

Tony played some cheap one pocket with Danny Smith (I hear) Danny gave him 10/8 and won. I don't know the stakes or how badly he lost but, that's the type of experience that he needs, of course it's not new to Tony but he needs to get roughed up before he can give it back. That just seems like the way things go, however, he's a battler, he'll be fine.

Dr. Bill

Texdance

I have heard very few commentators who know what they are doing. Most of the time it becomes "The Commentator Show", with massive disregard for the players, the score, and the game strategy.

Even when a Commentator knows the game score, his side kick will usually be ignorant of the score, and thus we have to endure them arguing about balls made, scratches owed, or games won instead of providing knowledgeable play-by-play and/or color commentary.

Here's my hints to potential One-Pocket commentators, current, past and future-

1. Less is more.
2. Fans have probably heard every one of your road stories. Although they are fun to hear, please practice and time them, so you can fit it in during a break or other lull in play, not during a shot or a dramatic run out or turn-around in play.
3. If you don't like 1-pocket stay out of the booth. Now and forever.
4. Please re-frain from re-stating the re-diculous phrase "re-position the cue ball", lest your audience re-fuse to re-spend their valuable time with you, and thus re-position their volume control to re-zero it in re-action to their re-evaluation of the current commentary.
5. Quit arguing with the other commentators about asinine stuff, it is not enlightening nor is it entertaining.
6. Decide in advance who is the play-by-play and who is the color commentator, then keep the roles separate. The Play-by-Play guy is the booth boss; he should step in and direct the flow back to the game whenever commentary goes off course.

I hope there are many pool commentators out there who add value to the watching of the pool game itself, though I have not much experience hearing them. Most of the time the commentators I hear detract from watching the pool game, and they deserve it when my volume control gets re-positioned to zero. It is as simple as that.

Many of the guys in the comment booth are my pool heroes, but they are not my commentator heroes. They just don't know what the heck they are doing, and sadly don't even know that they don't know. Who the heck ever went to Pool Commentator School? No one, not ever. And it shows.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I have heard very few commentators who know what they are doing. Most of the time it becomes "The Commentator Show", with massive disregard for the players, the score, and the game strategy.

Even when a Commentator knows the game score, his side kick will usually be ignorant of the score, and thus we have to endure them arguing about balls made, scratches owed, or games won instead of providing knowledgeable play-by-play and/or color commentary.

1. Less is more.
2. Fans have probably heard every one of your road stories. Although they are fun to hear, please practice and time them, so you can fit it in during a break or other lull in play, not during a shot or a dramatic run out or turn-around in play.
4. Please re-frain from re-stating the re-diculous phrase "re-position the cue ball", lest your audience re-fuse to re-spend their valuable time with you, and thus re-position their volume control to re-zero it in re-action to their re-evaluation of the current commentary.
5. Quit arguing with the other commentators about asinine stuff, it is not enlightening nor is it entertaining.
6. Decide in advance who is the play-by-play and who is the color commentator, then keep the roles separate. The Play-by-Play guy is the booth boss; he should step in and direct the flow back to the game whenever commentary goes off course.

I hope there are many pool commentators out there who add value to the watching of the pool game itself, though I have not much experience hearing them. Most of the time the commentators I hear detract from watching the pool game, and they deserve it when my volume control gets re-positioned to zero. It is as simple as that.

Many of the guys in the comment booth are my pool heroes, but they are not my commentator heroes. They just don't know what the heck they are doing, and sadly don't even know that they don't know. Who the heck ever went to Pool Commentator School? No one, not ever. And it shows.

This is a fantastic post. 'Nuff said.

OPBEAST

Verified Member

1. Less is more.

(PULLS OUT BIG A** BAG OF POPCORN) :lol

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

1. Less is more.

Tex, I have been doing commentary for over 35 years, and yes i'm guilty of quite a few things that you're unhappy with. Miller, one of the members on this site corrected me once about my grammar and I was grateful for it and improved in a few areas. I would like to speak as well as many of the forum members but my vocabulary is limited, I do the best that I can do and am willing to listen to any one that can help me. I often use the the word.."reposition" I kinda feel that it's awkward but I don't have a replacement word to use, I would appreciate if you or someone would help me with that.

I try to keep the commentary mostly about the game, I tell very few pool stories, though I really feel they are interesting and often funny but I am more of a stat guy. When ever I do commentary it's usually with another pool player and we are both "color" guys, if you will, so it's kinda difficult to stick to "play by play" when I have so much to offer..I think.:)

As far as the arguing in the booth. you're right again. I guess it's an ego thing and even here on one pocket.org we are constantly going back and forth about who's right. I understand that it's really not supposed to be about who's right, it's supposed to be about "what's right.

I'm glad that you made your post and i'll try to be more considerate and professional when doing commentary, maybe you can help me with the word..repostion..:) seriously.

Thanks,
Bill Incardona

keoneyo

Verified Member
Tex, I have been doing commentary for over 35 years, and yes i'm guilty of quite a few things that you're unhappy with. Miller, one of the members on this site corrected me once about my grammar and I was grateful for it and improved in a few areas. I would like to speak as well as many of the forum members but my vocabulary is limited, I do the best that I can do and am willing to listen to any one that can help me. I often use the the word.."reposition" I kinda feel that it's awkward but I don't have a replacement word to use, I would appreciate if you or someone would help me with that.

I try to keep the commentary mostly about the game, I tell very few pool stories, though I really feel they are interesting and often funny but I am more of a stat guy. When ever I do commentary it's usually with another pool player and we are both "color" guys, if you will, so it's kinda difficult to stick to "play by play" when I have so much to offer..I think.:)

As far as the arguing in the booth. you're right again. I guess it's an ego thing and even here on one pocket.org we are constantly going back and forth about who's right. I understand that it's really not supposed to be about who's right, it's supposed to be about "what's right.

I'm glad that you made your post and i'll try to be more considerate and professional when doing commentary, maybe you can help me with the word..repostion..:) seriously.

Thanks,
Bill Incardona

I noticed you didn't sign in as Dr Bill. Have you lost your mind? You are one of the premier commentators in the game. These people have no idea what it is to sit behind a mike and on the spot comment on the game. Let them try it sometime and see how difficult it is to do it on a continuous stream and be fresh, informative, funny, etc. They are amateurs who have opinions.
Don't go from Dr Bill to Nurse Betty. You are bordering on perfect and high on the ever commentators list.

Just to give a note on how difficult it is to sit behind a mike.
I have spent thousands of hours in the recording studio.
Cartoons, movie trailers, commercials, narration for documentaries, Video games, dubbing foreign films, etc etc etc.
Even though most of my lines are scripted it is tough to be perfect.
But in the business you get 3 mistakes on a take.
You make a booboo
The Engineer makes a booboo
The STAR makes a booboo.
Any more and you don't get asked back.
I had to do 7 takes on a job once and was not asked back.
I lost 25K for that.
You think its easy peasy try it sometimes.
Sports commentating is tougher. That's why when Pat Fleming suggested I do it. I said no! I leave things to the professional. And respect them as well.

Jeez! Where is Grady when you need him?

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
...I often use the the word.."reposition" I kinda feel that it's awkward but I don't have a replacement word to use, I would appreciate if you or someone would help me with that....

Thanks,
Bill Incardona

Your use of the word "reposition" is fine. It conveys what you want it to mean, and pool players understand what you want it to mean. That's all you can ask of language. Language is a flexible tool, and we don't have to be slaves of some abstract rules foisted on us by some would-be grammar police. ;)

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
I noticed you didn't sign in as Dr Bill. Have you lost your mind? You are one of the premier commentators in the game. These people have no idea what it is to sit behind a mike and on the spot comment on the game. Let them try it sometime and see how difficult it is to do it on a continuous stream and be fresh, informative, funny, etc. They are amateurs who have opinions.
Don't go from Dr Bill to Nurse Betty. You are bordering on perfect and high on the ever commentators list.

Just to give a note on how difficult it is to sit behind a mike.
I have spent thousands of hours in the recording studio.
Cartoons, movie trailers, commercials, narration for documentaries, Video games, dubbing foreign films, etc etc etc.
Even though most of my lines are scripted it is tough to be perfect.
But in the business you get 3 mistakes on a take.
You make a booboo
The Engineer makes a booboo
The STAR makes a booboo.
Any more and you don't get asked back.
I had to do 7 takes on a job once and was not asked back.
I lost 25K for that.
You think its easy peasy try it sometimes.
Sports commentating is tougher. That's why when Pat Fleming suggested I do it. I said no! I leave things to the professional. And respect them as well.

Jeez! Where is Grady when you need him?

Keoneyo,

Very well said. I did a couple of stints of commentary with Ray Hanson and found how easy it is to "think" the job is easy. I think the very few folks who do this, on the whole, do a good job and Billy Incardona is as good as they come. This is not a grammar contest and words to describe our beautiful game may seem easy to come by but try to excite, enlighten and inform while two guys may be bunting balls around for 20 minutes makes for hard to fill air. The ones who don't like it can always do as Tex threatens and turn the volume down but I think they miss a big opportunity to hear other perspectives. I even wonder how interesting a Pat Summerall could have made the game if it were one pocket. You sound like you have seen and done it all in broadcasting and appreciate your viewpoint.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I would like to speak as well as many of the forum members but my vocabulary is limited, I do the best that I can do and am willing to listen to any one that can help me. I often use the the word.."reposition" I kinda feel that it's awkward but I don't have a replacement word to use, I would appreciate if you or someone would help me with that.

Thanks,
Bill Incardona

Billy, I think you do an excellent job commentating, and as Don said in post #130, there's nothing at all wrong with your use of the word reposition...and actually, there aren't many other words available that you could use for that same purpose...that said, imo, the best word for you to consider as an option to the word reposition, would be: relocate....maybe a good idea would be for you to alternate between those two words, and that would offset the monotony of always using the word reposition.

- Ghost

keoneyo

Verified Member
Keoneyo,

Very well said. I did a couple of stints of commentary with Ray Hanson and found how easy it is to "think" the job is easy. I think the very few folks who do this, on the whole, do a good job and Billy Incardona is as good as they come. This is not a grammar contest and words to describe our beautiful game may seem easy to come by but try to excite, enlighten and inform while two guys may be bunting balls around for 20 minutes makes for hard to fill air. The ones who don't like it can always do as Tex threatens and turn the volume down but I think they miss a big opportunity to hear other perspectives. I even wonder how interesting a Pat Summerall could have made the game if it were one pocket. You sound like you have seen and done it all in broadcasting and appreciate your viewpoint.

Thanks Deeman. When I first started out I worked in what we call "Walla" groups. It comes from the old days when a movie scene had to be recorded with just the dialogue and you then have to add the background noise. In the old days there would be a group of sound guys going "Walla, walla, walla," in the background. But sound recording excelled and you would have to actually talk real sentences because they would be heard. So you have a bunch of guys in the sound booth making up dialogue to the background of a scene.

Close your eyes when you are watching a scene and listen to the ambient noise in the background. We as a Walla group had to improvise and come up with our own dialogue pertaining to the scene.

I worked with some brilliant guys then. Robin Williams was one and Phil Hartmann from Sat Night Live. These guys could keep up a rapid pace of improvised dialogue that was amazing. We all started out together in the 60's. I could never compete with those guys. Lucky I spoke Asian Languages and could work in all the Bruce Lee films from Hong Kong.

But what Im trying to say is talking into a mic and coming up with brilliant dialogue is harder than it really seems. It was brutal keeping up with those guys. For those on the outside its easy to criticize but daddy it is one mean mother. Lets show these guys some respect and appreciation. If you don't like it turn it off or don't buy it. But don't lessen the worth of the person doing it.
Unless you can do better.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Accustats info link

Accustats info link

Here is the link again for those who would like to support this great One Pocket event Pat Fleming is putting together. This link takes you to all the information you need to know, which includes Pat's contact info by phone or email so you can voice your concerns and/or preferences.

Make it Happen One Pocket 2015

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... I would like to speak as well as many of the forum members but my vocabulary is limited, I do the best that I can do and am willing to listen to any one that can help me. I often use the the word.."reposition" I kinda feel that it's awkward but I don't have a replacement word to use, I would appreciate if you or someone would help me with that. ...
Bill, your use of the word "reposition" never bothered me. Although it does imply that the act is being done again. But if you're looking for synonyms for the word, there are: locate, relocate, put, place, move, replace, stow, pin, establish; and the like, depending upon the situation.

You're actually ahead of the curve regarding vocabulary. Anyone attending grade school in the 1950's has received a better education than they get today in college! And we didn't have to hear that Heather can have two mommies, and that boys should play with dolls.:rolleyes:

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Thanks,
Bill Incardona

Billy the point of his post ( I believe ) is the RE isn't necessary. Maybe just say position the CB where ever.
Rod.
P.S. This comes from a high school dropout who doesn't watch pool. :frus

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Billy the point of his post ( I believe ) is the RE isn't necessary. Maybe just say position the CB where ever.
Rod.
P.S. This comes from a high school dropout who doesn't watch pool. :frus

The cue ball is in a position before the inning, it is then repositioned thereafter. There is nothing grammatically or semantically wrong with this phraseology. Get over it.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Accu stats make it happen one pocket invitational

I will add that I actually enjoy when commentators (especially involving Dr Bill frankly) argue over shot selection. I find myself arguing right along with whomever I agree with and calling the other guy names to the tv lol.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks to every one that reached out to help me have a better understanding on using the word "reposition" It means a lot to me that so many people have a concern for what I do, and how I do it, mostly a genuine concern. Like I mentioned earlier, I have been doing commentary for over 35 years, it's not about the money, never has, it's about helping the game of pool and the players that play it. I enjoy helping people/players improve their game , which is evidenced in my style of commentary. I don't tell many stories but still have a few that I think are interesting but stick mostly with the game, the players that are playing, and the options that I see that are available. My game has improved immensely in the 35 years that I have been doing this, and I can understand how beneficial it is to have knowledgeable people/players commentating along with me to educate the many people that have a desire to watch the best and learn more about the game. Yes, I have a very good understanding about our game (one pocket) just for the reason alone that I have been listening to the best talking about a match where the players are the best. That's what Accu-Stats brings to us all, along with "Big Truck" "Tar" "Lenny" and other people that stream our game. Thanks to all.

I will definitely in the future be mixing the word "reposition" up, by alternating with words like; place, move, position, relocate, (there goes that re again) establish, (which I like) but I don't know about the word "stow" Doc.:D Anyways I feel good about how people feel about me, and my style of commentating. I'm glad that people are being entertained and also are appreciating the message that goes along with it.:)

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I will add that I actually enjoy when commentators (especially involving Dr Bill frankly) argue over shot selection. I find myself arguing right along with whomever I agree with and calling the other guy names to the tv lol.

That's what i'm talking about. :heh:D

Dr. Bill