A wwyd from a few years ago

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I'm guessing that the best players in the world are about even money (50-50) to make the 3ball in a situation like this one. Hanging the 3ball doesn't help him because his opponent will make the 4ball and either take the 3ball out or follow it in. Then there are times when missing the 3ball will cost you two balls and the move, and trust me you will lose more than your share of those games if it comes to that. Why, you may ask.? Because by allowing your opponent back in the game will haunt you and possibly distract you by breaking your concentration. Seen it happen too many times not to consider that as a disadvantage that was self inflicted.

Really are you in that much of a hurry? Looks to me that you will win more than your share of games if you remove the 4ball, simply because youre sending a message to your opponent that he's going to have to earn every thing he gets.

If you were the player that needed four balls, what shot would you want your opponent to shoot?;)

Dr. Bill
I just went out into the backyard, looked up at the heavens, and told Freddy that you're still lying about wywd in this shot situation...:heh

Triple Smart

Verified Member
If i were playing the guys i normally play. I would shoot the 3. No doubt. A "good" player would punish you if you missed it. Then the mental breakdown begins lol

Miller

Verified Member
ok, just to clear things up a bit...3 options on the table....

(a) shoot the 3 (don't scratch; put a little something on it, and don't miss) with a 7-4 ball count in your favor :eek:
(b) jack up about 30 - 45 degrees out of a corner pocket and play a full table take out :lol
(c) roll in the 4, leave him on the end rag with the 5 frozen :D

1.png

:)

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
agreed. that take out is "wrought with peril." at that distance - the way the 4 is positioned, if i can't get low on it, i don't know where any of it is going.....:eek:

i know for a fact lsjohn is a digger. if he and the dr. say its there, then its there. i hope they do tell how.

:)
I'm not diggin' here... I'm gonna shoot for a little under half-ball hit with straight right (3 o'clock) with cue as level as I can get it.

edit: looking again, it's probably more like 2 o'clock.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I'm guessing that the best players in the world are about even money (50-50) to make the 3ball in a situation like this one. Hanging the 3ball doesn't help him because his opponent will make the 4ball and either take the 3ball out or follow it in. Then there are times when missing the 3ball will cost you two balls and the move, and trust me you will lose more than your share of those games if it comes to that. Why, you may ask.? Because by allowing your opponent back in the game will haunt you and possibly distract you by breaking your concentration. Seen it happen too many times not to consider that as a disadvantage that was self inflicted.

Really are you in that much of a hurry? Looks to me that you will win more than your share of games if you remove the 4ball, simply because youre sending a message to your opponent that he's going to have to earn every thing he gets.

If you were the player that needed four balls, what shot would you want your opponent to shoot?;)

Dr. Bill
Ghost,

Sorry,

I'm gonna have to agree with Bill here, and I was always the player who would go for the quicker win in situations like this one.

There should be no rush to win this game right here, the balls are in a very good location. Take out the 4, a better shot at your pocket, with lesser consequences will surely come up soon. He needs em all, I ain't putting him back in the game, he's going to have to earn his way back, one ball at a time!

Bill's right on all levels here IMO, you should never give your opponent any air, it seems it always comes back to bite you in the butt when you do.

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Missing that three ball gets the guy pumped up getting outta his chair and feeling like he can do anything. That is the last thing you wanna do here, as pool is all about confidence. I know most great players shoot the three here with seeming impunity, which is why they are great I suppose.

I feel like knocking the four out does the opposite. It tells the guy you ain't going to do anything stupid and he's going to have to grind for every ball on the table, and puts him more in the mind frame you want him to be in.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
you are 100% right on this one Billy.. only suckers trying to possibly find a way to blow the game shoot at the 3 ball here.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
A wwyd from a few years ago

I'm also taking out the 4. And if my opponent knows me at all, they are mentally digging for the cash to hand over. B/c once I start being prudent, they are in for a long day lol. (Since I'm normally a gofer). I seem to specialize in letting people back in the game usually lol

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
:sorry..MY BAD :frus I APOLOGIZE...I WENT INTO THE ARCHIVES AND FOUND THE OLD THREAD WITH THIS SITUATION AND SAW THAT I REMEMBERED THE PLACEMENT WRONG OF THE 4BALL - IT WAS IN THE JAWS OF THE OPPONENT'S POCKET - SO THE CHOICE WAS TO SHOOT THE 3BALL, OR GIVE YOUR OPPONENT THE 4 AND PLAY FROM THERE WITH A 7-5 SCORE...PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS NOW, AND REPOST WHAT THEY WOULD DO...:sorry...

And now, here's Freddy's, Frank Almanza's and SJD's (yes, many years ago SJD would respond in wwyd's - even when grudgingly having to agree with Freddy :eek: :D) answers in the original version of this wwyd ----->

If I was wheelchair bound, I would still shoot the 3 and try and pick up my check. Ask yourself, what would you want your opponent to shoot if the situation was reversed? Do you want him shooting at the session ball, where even if he misses you still don't figure to win the next inning?

Beard

Ditto, I would just stay in the elecriic chair, and fry...if I couldn't go for that 3 ball, at pocket speed..:cool:

Ghost, I think my percentages are about the same as you posted, I think you did the correct thing in shooting at your hole. Shooting at the 3 with the proper speed is the key in your decision. You might as well give yourself a chance to win right now. Many times in situations like this you wind up even if you position the ten deep in your hole. He makes his four and then makes yours and scratches. You wind up shooting with two balls on the spot.

PS, Yes, this was a game situation that I was in - I chose to shoot the 3 - I'll tell later what happened.

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
:sorry..MY BAD :frus I APOLOGIZE...I WENT INTO THE ARCHIVES AND FOUND THE OLD THREAD WITH THIS SITUATION AND SAW THAT I REMEMBERED THE PLACEMENT WRONG OF THE 4BALL - IT WAS IN THE JAWS OF THE OPPONENT'S POCKET - SO THE CHOICE WAS TO SHOOT THE 3BALL, OR GIVE YOUR OPPONENT THE 4 AND PLAY FROM THERE WITH A 7-5 SCORE...PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS NOW, AND REPOST WHAT THEY WOULD DO...:sorry...

And now, here's Freddy's, Frank Almanza's and SJD's (yes, many years ago SJD would respond in wwyd's - even when grudgingly having to agree with Freddy :eek: :D) answers in the original version of this wwyd ----->

PS, Yes, this was a game situation that I was in - I chose to shoot the 3 - I'll tell later what happened.
If I remember this correctly. I think the position of the cue ball and the three were also a bit different also. I might be wrong.

bstroud

Verified Member
If I read the original post correctly this is a hill/hill game in a tournament.

Only a Dummy would shoot at the 3 ball given the circumstances.

Now if it was a gambling match and you could rack up and play another game if you were to lose this one, then I'm shooting at the 3 ball.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
If I read the original post correctly this is a hill/hill game in a tournament.

Only a Dummy would shoot at the 3 ball given the circumstances.

Now if it was a gambling match and you could rack up and play another game if you were to lose this one, then I'm shooting at the 3 ball.

Bill S.
What would you do if you lost the game in a gambling match and the very next game it appeared again, then what would you do?

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Ghost,

Sorry,

I'm gonna have to agree with Bill here, and I was always the player who would go for the quicker win in situations like this one.

There should be no rush to win this game right here, the balls are in a very good location. Take out the 4, a better shot at your pocket, with lesser consequences will surely come up soon. He needs em all, I ain't putting him back in the game, he's going to have to earn his way back, one ball at a time!

Bill's right on all levels here IMO, you should never give your opponent any air, it seems it always comes back to bite you in the butt when you do.
Jeff...I've got to give you, Billy, and whoever else said this, the flip side of that thinking - contrarily, I've been "bit in the butt" many times by playing it safe...

A lot of times if you don't take that shot to win when you have it - you don't ever get it again...I've seen that happen a million times..it's like the One Pocket GODS will punish you for not stepping up to the plate, and being too nitty in your shot choice.

- Ghost

Triple Smart

Verified Member
Im so in the middle on this. Every time that i look at the layout i change my mind lol. Lets just say...it all depends on where my cofidence level is at on this situation. If im in the "tree tops" and playing strong, im shooting it. Regardless of whats at stake or the situation. If not....then im going defensive. In MOST cases, i shoot at the defensive players with everything i can come up with. It wins me alot of games but sometimes it costs me too. Some guy will just peck you to death. Some days im fit for it and sometimes im not lol
All depends

wincardona

Verified Member
Jeff...I've got to give you, Billy, and whoever else said this, the flip side of that thinking - contrarily, I've been "bit in the butt" many times by playing it safe...

A lot of times if you don't take that shot to win when you have it - you don't ever get it again[/SIZE]...I've seen that happen a million times..it's like the One Pocket GODS will punish you for not stepping up to the plate, and being too nitty in your shot choice.

- Ghost

What you say is true but imo it doesn't apply in this situation. My contention is that if I were the shooter and was pondering over the decision to shoot or play safe off the 4ball, your reasoning bolded above would not even be a consideration for the decision in this situation. I would safely assume that the score and the ball position speaks for itself, the likelihood of not getting another shot as good as the 3ball for the remainder of the game:sorry I'm not banking on that.

The way I look at this situation is, I ask myself if I can live without shooting the 3ball, easy answer. I then try to figure it out using math, if their are too many uncertainties then I rely on my gut along with a sound reasoning why I should pass. My gut tells me in this situation the way the balls are positioned, for him to win this game if I take out the 4ball is extremely hard and it's going to take a whole lot of time. And I won't like myself if I shoot the 3ball and lose the game, good enough for me.

Please reconsider and give another reason why to shoot.:sorry
Now be good Ghost, because you know how I feel about your game and decision making, reconsider before Hacker gets involved, and you know how brutal he can be.:D

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
What you say is true but imo it doesn't apply in this situation. My contention is that if I were the shooter and was pondering over the decision to shoot or play safe off the 4ball,

Dr. Bill
Billy, you're not paying attention :frus playing safe off the 4ball is not an option - did you not see the edit I made after I reviewed the original thread ----->

THE 4BALL WAS IN THE JAWS OF THE OPPONENT'S POCKET - SO THE CHOICE IS TO SHOOT THE 3BALL, OR GIVE YOUR OPPONENT THE 4 AND PLAY FROM THERE WITH A 7-5 SCORE...PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS NOW, AND REPOST WHAT THEY WOULD DO

LSJohn

Verified Member
Billy, you're not paying attention :frus playing safe off the 4ball is not an option - did you not see the edit I made after I reviewed the original thread ----->
Giving the 4 is obviously less appealing than removing it, but because the position of both 5 and 1 favor the shooter (thank you Dr. Bill) and 3 is neutral, I'm still not shooting the 3. That's not my best chance to win, but it may be the best shot for the gang that does shoot straight. :eek: