A two Part WWYD #2 - Efren vs Shane

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Part 1 is here

Efren shot the 2-railer on the 10-ball, but he seemed unhappy afterwards as the 10-ball went slightly too high I think. However, Shane now has to deal with a ball on both rails near Efren's hole.

Shane's shot. WWYD?

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
If the score as I recall it is 5-1 Shane's lead, I cant imagine another shot besides shooting the 8 with high english to kill the CB on the bottom rail and taking out the 10 ball at the same time to push the balls up table...

mhilton777

Verified Member
If the score as I recall it is 5-1 Shane's lead, I cant imagine another shot besides shooting the 8 with high english to kill the CB on the bottom rail and taking out the 10 ball at the same time to push the balls up table...
That is an option but I believe it would sell out the 7 straight back for Efren. I like crossing over the 10 with inside to leave it by my pocket if I don't make it and the cue coming up under the 4 ball.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
That was definitely the first shot that jumped out at me but I guess I was trying to think about playing the score and if I only need 3 and my opponent needs 7, I feel like pushing the balls up table and/or tieing them up is my best option. Be patient and wait for them to sell out a shot due to desperation.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
That is an option but I believe it would sell out the 7 straight back for Efren. I like crossing over the 10 with inside to leave it by my pocket if I don't make it and the cue coming up under the 4 ball.
Can you get the cue ball around the 8? It looks like it's very close after the slight deflection off the 10.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Im clearing out the 8 and 10. You go for the bank on the 10 ball and the cue ball slips past the 4 ball or you leave a cross corner return bank on the 10 into the 8 ball and you can lose the game. Odds are when you clear the 8 and 10 balls one of them will wind up on your side deterring Efren from shooting the bank on the 7.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well, being up 5-1, I would have to shoot the 8 into the 10 with "high karate", ala Cincy Kid. But Shane is an aggressive player who might bank the 10, run into the 4 with the CB, and take the 6 next. He'd then only need one.

Shane has a great lead, but until he busts up that cluster, he could die on the vine while Efren takes shots at his own hole.:(

~Doc

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Shane didn't like anything aggressive here, he saw too many threats I guess. He tried to gently bank the 10 off of Efren's rail and have whitey roll down behind the 8. If he got there it would have been a strong shot but he scratched.

Shane didn't shoot again in this game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'm very surprised that he took that kind of shot. Even if it had been successful, it wouldn't have gotten him anything. He must have figured that the 10 ball bank had a kiss. But the 8-10 take out was the shot. Just goes to show that no one is immune to occasional brain fog...:)

~Doc