A two Part WWYD #1 - Efren vs Shane (again)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Efren is down 1-5 in balls, and it's his shot. Shane correctly kept whitey below the balls and on the foot rail for the last 5 or 6 innings, forcing Efren to move balls up table one by one.

Efren has to figure out a strategy before it's too late. WWYD here? What would your strategy be?

mhilton777

Verified Member
I like 2 railing the 10 ball to the hole and leaving the cue ball up table.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Yeah, he could shoot the 2-railer on the 10, using outside english in order to hold the CB up near the corner pocket.

He'd probably like to get something on his side rail. So he might try a kick on the 2 ball, sending the 5 to his side. He could play the CB to come off the 2 ball on its right in order to roll the CB up table toward the corner pocket. Alternatively he might be able to "stick" the CB on or near the deuce.

At any rate either of these would give Reyes 1 up/1 down, and tricky to defend against.

~Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I have a different perspective on this situation than most will have. Im down 5 to 1 and the 4 balls near the spot do nothing off me at present but potentially could.. The 2 rail on the 10 jumps out to everyone but what next if you make it? spin the 8 in? If I make the 2 rail on the 10 I want win potential...
SO I would take am intentional and kick off the side rail trying to freeze the cue ball to the 6 ball. I will gladly spot the ball I have because now if I make a shot at some point I can use the 6 ball as my breakout ball to get them all. If I freeze him to the 6 ball Shane will probably have to leave me a shot at something and if Im able to make it I will have a chance to win.. Thats my plan anyway

Cloidius

Verified Member
10 ball

10 ball

The straight back on the ten does not have a chance of pocketing, but the focus would be leaving the cue ball up table. Shane would have to move it away, then Efren might get a better kick or a bank on the seven.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Efren is down 1-5 in balls, and it's his shot. Shane correctly kept whitey below the balls and on the foot rail for the last 5 or 6 innings, forcing Efren to move balls up table one by one.

Efren has to figure out a strategy before it's too late. WWYD here? What would your strategy be?
I'd open up those balls near the spot and put some heat on whatshisname.

er.png

LSJohn

Verified Member

For Efren I like banking the 10 straightback at the 8, CB to head rail, or, kicking long rail at the 14. If he's able to catch the 14 there's a good chance of making the six, breaking up the three balls that don't go in his pocket, and having shape on the 8. For me, 2-railing the 10 looks almost risk-free and productive.

petie

Verified Member
Go off the bottom side of the 6 lightly, go to the side rail, and snug up on the 8.

Island Drive

Verified Member
If available, I like kicking one rail at the 14 & carom the six ball into my hole. Even if I hit the other ball next to the 14, the carom is still going toward my hole with little chance of leaving an easy shot for Shane. It's a mini catchers mitt for the cue ball. If hit well and six pocketed, good chance Effie will out.

If not I like banking the 2 ball combo, cross side towards my hole whitey on the head rail. I want the 2 ball to not lay on the long rail, maybe a foot away or so.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
If available, I like kicking one rail at the 14 & carom the six ball into my hole. Even if I hit the other ball next to the 14, the carom is still going toward my hole with little chance of leaving an easy shot for Shane. It's a mini catchers mitt for the cue ball. If hit well and six pocketed, good chance Effie will out.

If not I like banking the 2 ball combo, cross side towards my hole whitey on the head rail. I want the 2 ball to not lay on the long rail, maybe a foot away or so.
Now there's a shot! Good eye Bill.

Tom

mhilton777

Verified Member
Now there's a shot! Good eye Bill.

Tom
It looks to me like the edge of the 5 is in the way for the 14/6 combo and I think it is a really risky shot as the 2 is going to go towards SVB's pocket. If the combo is missed, it is a sell out.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
It looks to me like the edge of the 5 is in the way for the 14/6 combo and I think it is a really risky shot as the 2 is going to go towards SVB's pocket. If the combo is missed, it is a sell out.
That was my first thought, then I reread.

I'm pretty sure John means a sideways kick, not up-and-down. Clip the bottom of the 14 and carom the 6 in. Shape the 8 and open the cluster. Doesn't at all have to sell out and just might reverse the game! Good eye, John. You may have just increased your price in the Calcutta.

mhilton777

Verified Member
That was my first thought, then I reread.

I'm pretty sure John means a sideways kick, not up-and-down. Clip the bottom of the 14 and carom the 6 in. Shape the 8 and open the cluster. Doesn't at all have to sell out and just might reverse the game! Good eye, John. You may have just increased your price in the Calcutta.
That makes more sense! That is a pretty sporty shot then. I still would like to 2 rail the 10 and not open those balls up yet though.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
A two Part WWYD #1 - Efren vs Shane (again)

I'm two railing the 10 also. But I appreciate all the shots. And thanks Rob for the detail. I see your point also.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
For Efren I like banking the 10 straightback at the 8, CB to head rail, or, kicking long rail at the 14. If he's able to catch the 14 there's a good chance of making the six, breaking up the three balls that don't go in his pocket, and having shape on the 8. For me, 2-railing the 10 looks almost risk-free and productive.
Ahh! Thanks Rob for pointing it out to me that John had this one first. As an excuse, I think I moved on once I saw your straight back on the ten. I must learn to read through the entire paragraph. I think Bill did the same thing I did though so I don't want to take anything away from him either. Kudos to the two of yaz.

Tom