A pre-camera pics wwyd from 4 1/2 years ago...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I was looking around in the archives, saw this and thought it was worth bringing back, mostly since a lot of our wwyd guys weren't around back then ----->

"Here is an interesting situation that I was in the other day - with a lot of options...

I have pocket A and I have 4 balls, my opponent has 3 balls...the pockets are average-tight 4-1/2"...I have a lot of choices, some safer, some more aggressive...

The one ball is a dead-straight-ahead bank (probably about a 70%-80% make for my speed or above)....I could roll it in, and have the cueball roll safely almost to the long rail (so if the bank hangs up, I won't sell out the 12 ball) but from there, if I want to shoot the cut shot on the 13 next, it won't be a sure thing - could be a win or lose shot to shoot....or...

I can bank the 1 and stop the cueball right on top of the cluster, snookering my opponent from seeing the 12, or seeing the 1 if it ends up in front of my pocket - and if the 1 goes in, then I can bank the 11 next....or...

I could gamble on making the 1 for sure - roll in the bank, let the cueball stop halfway to the long rail, and have a cinch breakout shot on the 13 next...if I hang the bank, I'll be leaving him an easy shot on the 12 - but I'll be gambling that he won't get more than two balls, because the 4 clustered balls don't go in his pocket, and the 3ball doesn't pass the 11, so he can't play top to bottom position from the 3 - although he could get more than two by breaking up the cluster, or playing position for a short cross-corner bank.......or I could...

Bank the 11 to make it, and play position for the 3.....or I could bank it into the cluster, possibly making a ball, and at least sending several balls towards my pocket, while sending the cueball down to the bottom right quadrant of the table...or I could...

Bank the 3 straight back, and go 3-rails-around with whitey...

WWYD?..."

- Ghost

Attachments

Last edited:

Hardmix

Verified Member
This is a good opportunity to turn out the lights. I am shooting 1 following so I have a cut on the 13 caroming off the 8 opening the cluster.

Should be game over from there unless you go brain dead.

Hardmix

LSJohn

Verified Member
This is a good opportunity to turn out the lights. I am shooting 1 following so I have a cut on the 13 caroming off the 8 opening the cluster.

Should be game over from there unless you go brain dead.

Hardmix
I think I'm more reliable cutting the 13 from the rail to get out after following the 1 there than I am on banking the 1. I know, that's my problem, and your way is probably better for any good 1P player. If I miss the 1 I leave a cherry 13 anyway.

Phooey. I guess I need to bank better, huh.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Btw....the original thread of this situation was interesting and amusing...it got up to 83 posts, and back then even SJD gave his opinion :eek: resulting in he and Freddy amusingly getting into it = strongly disagreeing with each other on how the bank on the 1ball should be shot...:D.....then the thread somehow ended with pics of half-naked girls put up by Dennis...:heh

LSJohn

Verified Member
Btw....the original thread of this situation was interesting and amusing...it got up to 83 posts, and back then even SJD gave his opinion :eek: resulting in he and Freddy amusingly getting into it = strongly disagreeing with each other on how the bank on the 1ball should be shot...:D.....then the thread somehow ended with pics of half-naked girls put up by Dennis...:heh
After really thinking this through -- no shot clock I hope -- I think the best shot for me is to bank the 11 and control whitey to opponent's up-table long rail.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
What about banking the 1 ball and drawing back to about where whitey is now? Then you can bank the 11 next and follow up table for the 3. He's blocked from shooting at his hole, if you hang the 1, by the stack.

I was looking around in the archives, saw this and thought it was worth bringing back, mostly since a lot of our wwyd guys weren't around back then ----->

"Here is an interesting situation that I was in the other day - with a lot of options...

I have pocket A and I have 4 balls, my opponent has 3 balls...the pockets are average-tight 4-1/2"...I have a lot of choices, some safer, some more aggressive...

The one ball is a dead-straight-ahead bank (probably about a 70%-80% make for my speed or above)....I could roll it in, and have the cueball roll safely almost to the long rail (so if the bank hangs up, I won't sell out the 12 ball) but from there, if I want to shoot the cut shot on the 13 next, it won't be a sure thing - could be a win or lose shot to shoot....or...

I can bank the 1 and stop the cueball right on top of the cluster, snookering my opponent from seeing the 12, or seeing the 1 if it ends up in front of my pocket - and if the 1 goes in, then I can bank the 11 next....or...

I could gamble on making the 1 for sure - roll in the bank, let the cueball stop halfway to the long rail, and have a cinch breakout shot on the 13 next...if I hang the bank, I'll be leaving him an easy shot on the 12 - but I'll be gambling that he won't get more than two balls, because the 4 clustered balls don't go in his pocket, and the 3ball doesn't pass the 11, so he can't play top to bottom position from the 3 - although he could get more than two by breaking up the cluster, or playing position for a short cross-corner bank.......or I could...

Bank the 11 to make it, and play position for the 3.....or I could bank it into the cluster, possibly making a ball, and at least sending several balls towards my pocket, while sending the cueball down to the bottom right quadrant of the table...or I could...

Bank the 3 straight back, and go 3-rails-around with whitey...

WWYD?..."

- Ghost

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Bank the 1, stop the CB, bank the 11 play for the 3 or the 13, then if all goes perfect, whichever you didn't shoot out of the 3/13 for the win.
Never at risk of losing the lead.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
A pre-camera pics wwyd from 4 1/2 years ago...

After really thinking this through -- no shot clock I hope -- I think the best shot for me is to bank the 11 and control whitey to opponent's up-table long rail.

I like this too John.

Hardmix

Verified Member
I vote for bringing Dennis back with the girly pics, much more entertaining.

Hardmix

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Bank the 1, stop the CB, bank the 11 play for the 3 or the 13, then if all goes perfect, whichever you didn't shoot out of the 3/13 for the win.
Never at risk of losing the lead.
This is the shot I saw when I first looked at the WWYD and then after seeing Jeff type it out, I know it's a pretty good option :)

Even if you dont make the 1, you have him locked down on the 5 so he cant take the 1 out or shoot the 12 in his pocket.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
There is no way I am doing anything other than banking the one to win the game. I'm playing position on the remaining balls in the string and to hell with playing safe. These are the banks that should be practiced to the nth degree. The percentages for making this bank should be well over 70%, more like over 80%, and with natural position on three more easy shots, how can you choose anything but?

If you wish to take the thought process further, consider the fact that the only ball your opponent can play position on, other than a bank, is the eleven.

If you want to wait on a full proof, no risk shot, you may be waiting a long time. Show some confidence, bank the one and play shape on those three balls in the string.

If you feel the percentages do not favor you to make this shot, then go to a table and practice more.

Tom

Last edited: