A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I played Cornbread some $10 nine ball when they brought him into Five Points Bowl. I swear the way he sneered at those balls, they had to go in. He did not stall, just whacked me out four games in a row and I pulled up.

John,

Good, bad or ugly I always enjoy any story about Red. I think I wrote on here one time that when he was playing "the balls jumped into the pockets for protection", your post reminded me of that. Even when his game dropped off he still had that attitude.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Best way to put it

Best way to put it

His name was Bill Gibbs, Buttermilk had molested his young (11) daughter. He damn sure would have killed him. They used to be hustling partners.

Beard

QUOTE]

Bill had a very bad temper. During a pinochle game he threw a chair across the pool room the same day he received a pacemaker. He had to go in for a bypass and died soon after that. He did not like Mexican Johnny. I was playing Johnny one time and Bill said if I lost to him he would kick my ass. Johnny beat me at one pocket but I moved him over to the snooker table for some golf and ended up getting the $$.

Lots of top players came through and were steered by Butter and/or Popcorn. I played Cornbread some $10 nine ball when they brought him into Five Points Bowl. I swear the way he sneered at those balls, they had to go in. He did not stall, just whacked me out four games in a row and I pulled up.

Thats the best description of The Rooster (Cornbread). He sneered balls in. Thats what he did to Cornflakes for 30g when he fired a straight back into triple shimmed pockets playing last pocket 9 ball. Like Dennis said, the 9 ball jumped into the pocket to get the hell away from that maniac.

Beard

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Good, bad or ugly I always enjoy any story about Red. Dennis

Dennis....I don't remember if I ever told you this...no big story, but....at I think, the first U.S. Open One Pocket Tournament in K-zoo, in about 1993...the day before the tournament started, in the afternoon, it was fairly quiet and early bird-guys were practicing....Red walked in and I was practicing on one of the front two tables ( and by the way, I didn't know Red and he didn't know me )...all of the tables were taken and so he asked to practice with me on my table...I said sure, and then after a game or two we started gambling sociable - $30 a game with him giving me the breaks - we played for a few hours - I enjoyed it...that was the first of only two times I ever played Red.

- Ghost

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Dennis....I don't remember if I ever told you this...no big story, but....at I think, the first U.S. Open One Pocket Tournament in K-zoo, in about 1993...the day before the tournament started, in the afternoon, it was fairly quiet and early bird-guys were practicing....Red walked in and I was practicing on one of the front two tables ( and by the way, I didn't know Red and he didn't know me )...all of the tables were taken and so he asked to practice with me on my table...I said sure, and then after a game or two we started gambling sociable - $30 a game with him giving me the breaks - we played for a few hours - I enjoyed it...that was the first of only two times I ever played Red.

- Ghost

ghost how long after you started playing did you find out who you were playing against??? i would think others that knew him might have come up to him to say hello figuring he wasnt "undercover"...:D
what do you recall about that first encounter???
first impressions??

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
ghost how long after you started playing did you find out who you were playing against??? i would think others that knew him might have come up to him to say hello figuring he wasnt "undercover"...:D
what do you recall about that first encounter???
first impressions??

Larry....I guess my post gave you the wrong impression...I didn't know Red personally prior to that...but I've been in the serious pool world since the late 60's, so of course I knew who Red was - just never played him before.

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Worthy of revival...

Worthy of revival...

For any of you newer members who never saw this thread - take a look through it, there's some great old pics in it - and a pic to it if you've got any...

I'll add a few new pics of some very cool vintage pool balls - a speckled set and a zigzag striped set (the cueball in the speckled set looks like ivory) and a catalog page of some cool chalk choices from waay back in the day (I like those two round chalks that have Manhattan Club printed on them).

- Ghost

PS, The pics uploaded as links this time - I don't know why.

Attachments

• POOL BALLS 1.jpg
    POOL BALLS 1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1
  • ZigZags.jpg
    ZigZags.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1
  • chalk 2.jpg
    chalk 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

- Ghost

Ghosty,

I don't think I ever saw this reply of yours:(. Thanks for the Red story:).

I'll add a pic to the thread:

oddities1-petesturman.jpg

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
What was the name of Rambow's shop?

Beard

Hint: first letter is K

Beard

Too easy..:cool:...

Keefe & Hammer - and I'll give you the address too...17 N. Wabash.

- Ghost <-------Wishes he still had his Rambow from when he was 22 yrs. old :eek: and his Peterson, that he paid about $200 for and would be worth big bucks now :eek: but the Ghost does still have his Laube cue - super fancy model with dots and multi-veneered points...:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
From the Ghost's picture files...

From the Ghost's picture files...

I found this strange pic on the web...of bunches of house cues in groupings stuck in the ground - there was no info - I don't know wtf it was all about...:confused:...maybe the practical joker owner of some rural poolhall did it so that when people asked where his poolhall was located, he could say it was - "out in the sticks"...:D...:sorry

- Ghost

Attachments

• CUES.jpg
    CUES.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Seeing your post Ghost reminds me I should have posted this here.

I found this on facebook -- and this particular facebook page is loaded with 60's & 70's stuff, by the way -- I had to "like" them: https://www.facebook.com/waybackexperience

Other than Zappa, I don't know who the rest of the band members are, but I bet someone does :D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Too easy..:cool:...

Keefe & Hammer - and I'll give you the address too...17 N. Wabash.

- Ghost <-------Wishes he still had his Rambow from when he was 22 yrs. old :eek: and his Peterson, that he paid about $200 for and would be worth big bucks now :eek: but the Ghost does still have his Laube cue - super fancy model with dots and multi-veneered points...:)

Sorry,:sorry Wrong again. :D It was Keefe & Hamer not Hammer. Do you remember what floor it was on? (I dont)

Beard

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
For a hot, buggy, summer night - here's pics of some naked little beauties...

For a hot, buggy, summer night - here's pics of some naked little beauties...

...:heh ------->

...aren't they just the cutest? - and the Ghost guarantees all of you, that at least one of these little lovelies is in your house, and/or on your body, right now...:eek:....:heh

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I think I dated the 4th one down for about three days:p. She kept scratching me :eek:. lol

What are they Ghosty? Dust mites?

RBL

Dennis, they're all different kinds of little nasties...and yep, pic #5 are your dust mites...

They're all taken with a scanning electron microscope...the pics that they get with that, of all different types of things, are fukking amazing...here's a few more - the yellow one is glue on white paper, the orange one is a butterfly egg, and the blue-green pic is of one type of pollen spores ----->

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Seeing your post Ghost reminds me I should have posted this here.

I found this on facebook -- and this particular facebook page is loaded with 60's & 70's stuff, by the way -- I had to "like" them: https://www.facebook.com/waybackexperience

Other than Zappa, I don't know who the rest of the band members are, but I bet someone does :D

Ha! I just noticed the picture you posted, Steve! That picture was taken in '66 or '67. Zappa on top; L to R: Don Preston, Roy Estrada; then Bunk Gardner, Ray Collins, Jimmy Carl Black; then Billy Mundi. Notice that this particular print hadn't been cropped to hide the background paper roll.:rolleyes:

Billy Mundi left, then I joined to replace him in early 1968. The band immediately became better...:)

Doc