A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Well, it's been a year-and-a-half since the last time I put a pic up on this thread - I guess it's about time for another one...:heh.....and for you newer members who never saw this thread that I started 4 years ago..if you start at the beginning, you'll see some good pics and also some amusing posts from the usual suspects...

The two pics previous to this one show a rare 2-pocket table, and a rare pic of legendary cuemaker Herman Rambow and his family.

And here we have a cool old pic of the hot Sophia Loren playing pool with some GI's...check out that sideways stare of the soldier in the middle - is he checking out Sophia's grip on the cue, or Sophia's very sexy and well known 'junk-in-the-trunk'...;)

- Ghost

Love it, the middle guy is lookin' at her ass....:D

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Kirkwood Kue Klub - St. Louis

Kirkwood Kue Klub - St. Louis

kirkwood cue klub.jpg

This was the last of the old school pool rooms in St. Louis where my father used to play in the 60's and I first played in the late 70's. When I was a kid it was the coolest place on earth. Better than Disney World. Not like the discos they call pool rooms now. A wine shop now.....that sucks.

"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else."

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's some nostalgia for you east coast guys...a pic of the front of Julian's poolroom in New York - Julian's being one of the three action rooms in Manhattan from the 50's - 70's - the pic taken awhile after it had closed down.

- Ghost

Attachments

• 1 1 1.jpg
    1 1 1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
you kinda resemble Jim Rempe and Jim Croce,play any guitar?

Nope, didn't play guitar - got stoned and listened to Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Santana, and David Gilmour instead..:heh...and as for resembling Rempe and Croce - I was way better looking than them...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, Hey Billy S...I know the pic is not all that clear...but can you recognize what kind of cue I'm playing with in the pic? - I think you're the only one who might-could identify it.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
This pic was taken in N.Y.City in the 1950's, either at a poolroom or at an Italian Social Club (look like a few Mafia bros sweating the action :heh)...anybody know what game, and how is it played, that we see on the table?...looks like a snooker table side pocket, but what's up with the three white balls?

- Ghost

Attachments

• 1 1 Bruno Barbey.jpg
    1 1 Bruno Barbey.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4

keoneyo

Verified Member
This pic was taken in N.Y.City in the 1950's, either at a poolroom or at an Italian Social Club (look like a few Mafia bros sweating the action :heh)...anybody know what game, and how is it played, that we see on the table?...looks like a snooker table side pocket, but what's up with the three white balls?

- Ghost

This is actually an Italian Carom game called Goriziana.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goriziana

There is an Italian Movie called The Pool Hustlers in where they play this game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pool_Hustlers
Check it out

Jimmy B

Verified Member
A very popular Italian game was Five Pin Billiards, during this time period. And it was played on a table with pockets or not. Also in this game the cue ball was bigger than the object balls, which it appears to be in the pic, so I vote for "Five Pin Billiards"...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
This is actually an Italian Carom game called Goriziana.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goriziana

There is an Italian Movie called The Pool Hustlers in where they play this game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pool_Hustlers
Check it out

Uuh...Keone...doesn't look at all like the same game...the game featured in your two links is played with only three balls, on a 3cushion billiard table.....but in my pic they are playing with at least seven balls, and it's a table with pockets.

- Gh:confused:st

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
this is a cool pic ghost
:)

View attachment 10662

Bruce; Nice photo of , "Bensingers" on the 3C side of the room. Looks like a very nice "Eddie Laube" cue You're playing with!

I see, Mary, what a nice woman she was, Marvin Goodman leaning against the column by Table 1, with Harry "Hollywood Fats" sitting on the bench watching and Louie Campos on the table next to You shooting!

Bruce, do you see the "nerdy" looking guy with the glasses sitting on the bench next to the woman by your table. His name is, "Bob," don't remember last name, He's the guy that originally opened , "Bob's Billiards," which He sold to Chris Chrisman of "Chris's Billiards!"

Brings back a lot of fond memories for me, thanks a lot!
:D:D:D

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Bruce; Nice photo of , "Bensingers" on the 3C side of the room. Looks like a very nice "Eddie Lobbe" cue You're playing with!

I see, Mary, what a nice woman she was, Marvin Goodman leaning against the column by Table 1, with Harry "Hollywood Fats" sitting on the bench watching and Louie Campos on the table next to You shooting!

Bruce, do you see the "nerdy" looking guy with the glasses sitting on the bench next to the woman by your table. He name is, "Bob," don't remember last name, He's the guy that originally opened , "Bob's Billiards," which He sold to Chris Chrisman of "Chris's Billiards!"

Brings back a lot of fond memories for me, thanks a lot!
:D:D:D

Excellent identifying job Billy - that is indeed my fancy/heavily inlayed Laube cue...and I still have it...:eek:...I showed it to Dustin a few months ago when he was in town.

Of course I know that that's Bob sitting there - his last name was Ries...I was at Bob's Billiards aka Chris's Billiards from the first week it opened.

- Ghost

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Excellent identifying job Billy - that is indeed my fancy/heavily inlayed Laube cue...and I still have it...:eek:...I showed it to Dustin a few months ago when he was in town.

Of course I know that that's Bob sitting there - his last name was Ries...I was at Bob's Billiards aka Chris's Billiards from the first week it opened.

- Ghost

Did you ever see the, "super fancy" Laube that Ernie gave me years ago? Curly Birdseye with, green, purple, and black points with all kinds of small, medium, and large dots, green, white and red on it. It was SWEEEEEET, Until I broke it over "Tommy the Sailor's" head when He was drunk for f******g with me! I think He was from, "Frisco" I believe.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Uuh...Keone...doesn't look at all like the same game...the game featured in your two links is played with only three balls, on a 3cushion billiard table.....but in my pic they are playing with at least seven balls, and it's a table with pockets.

- Gh:confused:st

Sorry bout that. Just trying to inform that there are several different games that includes the pins. Like Billiards there are many variations. They might use a table with pockets if no carom tables are available. Im not an expert about these games but just trying to give you a link to how they may be related.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
This is a picture of a deceased multi-millionaires recreation area in the basement of his 30 room New York mansion...check it out - he's got two bowling lanes next to the billiard room - but what's up with that table? - is it some strange square shaped table, or is it just the camera angle making it look that way? - and it looks like there's no pockets on the left and right rails.

- Ghost

Attachments

• 1 1 lostinplace051003_1_400.jpg
    1 1 lostinplace051003_1_400.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is a picture of a deceased multi-millionaires recreation area in the basement of his 30 room New York mansion...check it out - he's got two bowling lanes next to the billiard room - but what's up with that table? - is it some strange square shaped table, or is it just the camera angle making it look that way? - and it looks like there's no pockets on the left and right rails.

- Ghost

Ghost, I think that is just the camera distortion that comes from a super wide angle lens. Objects out of the center area of the lens that are close to you get super distorted.

lakeman77

photo

photo

I think I have seen that set up with the white pins in Italy. and that's a good photograph.