A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Sactown Tom:

Just took a peek at your "Evolution of Pool" over in the members section and found it to be a very accurate depiction of the history of our noble sport. In fact, I'd be proud to wear that image on a t-shirt. (Ghostie or Freddie?)

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Clare,
Are you really serious with these comments? I know you don't know me, but I've been on this forum and personnally know these posters and their sense of humor. them.

Tom,

I think you and I go back at least to about 1998 on CCB, where I was Snake then transitioned to DeeMan after 2000! i have always enjoyed your humor and the ability to give and take. You have done more for the game than many, even on here, know about!

I didn't mean to get into your business in this thread but I don't think there is a player out there that doesn't know how to take your humor which is all that poster was.

DeeMan
Memphis Mafia too :)

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Clare said:
Hi Sactown Tom: I'm sure that you intended to make a really cute funny, but I do not find any humor in your picture. First off, from what I can gather, league play is where it's at today. I have been away from from the pool scene for quite some time, but from what I have been able to glean from this forum and other sources, it seems that league play is quite popular and those who run/own leagues make a rather handsome income.

In addition, I am offended by your cartoon as it depicts the 9ball, 10ball , and 8 ball players. How very offensive. In fact, I think Steve should ban your post. I'm quite serious. Steve removed a post by the Ghost that was no where near as offensive. This IS a pool site, isn't it???? And you disrespect players like that??

Sactown Tom, I suspect you meant no harm and were merely trying to be humorous, but from someone who has a very strong sense of humor, I am disturbed by your post, rather than humored by it.

I am not a player, but I was involved with an upper-echelon player/champion/hustler for about 4 years and I did a lot of watching. I can tell you that 9ball players ain't no monkeys and the 10 ball and 8 ball players ain't no Neanderthal men, either.

Please consider deleting your post.

Clare

I really try to stay out of the drama here because a) i'm pretty new b) i really just don't care who's barking at who. c) it's the internet.

But, I gotta say... this is just ... i don't even have the words. To me, Clare, *your* post is offensive. Why? Because you're supposed to be a veteran of this site (in posts, if not longevity) and pool players in general; right? Then how - HOW in the world can you throw up such a hissy fit about that graphic. If you've spent *any* time on this site, you know there's a certain animosity between 1P players and... just about everyone else. It's *known* and it's *accepted*. And you should know that.

Now you're bullying these other guys (who FAR exceed your seniority) to bend to your whim. And for what? You don't even play the game (any game). As a representative or whatever you do for whomever you represent, that graphic has absolutely ZERO impact on your business or "hustling-by-proxy".

This *is* a pool site, as you liked to reaffirm to everyone, which means people are gonna jab at people. Which you should also know, if you've spent any time in a pool room at all. Hell, *I* am an 8-ball league player, *I* am a 9-ball player - and I found that image to be entertaining - from the perspective of a 1P player. You should be able to appreciate that; instead of raising the flags and ringing the bells.

If you're the hippie your icon purports, then you should be an open minded, accepting and understanding individual, not the school marm; which is how I most often see your posts.

I'm not interested in getting into a big back and forth here - and I certainly don't wish to offend anyone, however I felt I had to point out the irony to the situation.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I think I met you on line just before you moved from AZ to TX then to GA and was orginally from Memphis.. our ties start there.

Has it been 13+ years? Wow..

Deeman said:
Tom,

I think you and I go back at least to about 1998 on CCB, where I was Snake then transitioned to DeeMan after 2000! i have always enjoyed your humor and the ability to give and take. You have done more for the game than many, even on here, know about!

I didn't mean to get into your business in this thread but I don't think there is a player out there that doesn't know how to take your humor which is all that poster was.

DeeMan
Memphis Mafia too :)

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I doubt that needed to be said, but I also think many here are agreeing with you. Maybe Clare was just having a bad day. We all do.

I did move the pic to the Members Only section. Per her request to remove it from the main forum.

I'm not so sure I would have done that for any MALE pool players that found it offensive. Naw... I would have moved it for them also.

stljohnny said:
however I felt I had to point out the irony to the situation.

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
SactownTom said:
I doubt that needed to be said, but I also think many here are agreeing with you. Maybe Clare was just having a bad day. We all do.

I did move the pic to the Members Only section. Per her request to remove it from the main forum.

I'm not so sure I would have done that for any MALE pool players that found it offensive. Naw... I would have moved it for them also.

Well, in the guise of full-disclosure, I'm pretty cranky today too, so... yeah.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
hey!

hey!

how about a time out re: clare? i don't like seeing her get picked on.

and ... you do not want to make me mad! you do not want to see me put my fists on my hips and stamp my blahniks! nor my keds!

sharing the peace pipe is my life,

sunny

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
sunnyone said:
you do not want to make me mad! you do not want to see me put my fists on my hips and stamp my blahniks! nor my keds!

sunny
how bout a video on you tube we could all watch:rolleyes:
inquiring minds want to know:eek:
watching hissy fits is my life:p
larry

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's a pic of a beautiful art nouveau design, rack and brush set, produced around 1880-1900 - rare, and worth pretty decent $$$...they're inlaid with birdseye maple, redheart, ebony and ivory...I wouldn't mind having this set - even if I couldn't get a tight rack with that rack...:)

- Ghost

Attachments

• RACK & BRUSH.jpg
    RACK & BRUSH.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
Here's a pic of a beautiful art nouveau design, rack and brush set, produced around 1900 - rare, and worth pretty big $$$...they're inlaid with birdseye maple, redheart, ebony and ivory...I wouldn't mind having them - even if I couldn't get a tight rack with that rack...:)

- Ghost
thats really nice ghost:)

Deeman

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Here's a pic of a beautiful art nouveau design, rack and brush set, produced around 1900 - rare, and worth pretty big $$$...they're inlaid with birdseye maple, redheart, ebony and ivory...I wouldn't mind having them - even if I couldn't get a tight rack with that rack...:)

- Ghost

Ghost,

Thanks, we forget e craftsmanship and pride mNy used to take in this type work before machines did it all for us!

DeeMan

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SactownTom said:
Very ornate rack and brush... are those initials.. BGB in the middle of the brush and rack?

Tom.....It's my understanding that the ornate letters you're seeing are actually B & B Co. - standing for: Brunswick & Balke Company...the two companies having merged around that time.

- Ghost

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I see it now that you've pointed it out... thanks.

One Pocket Ghost said:
Tom.....It's my understanding that the ornate letters you're seeing are actually B & B Co. - standing for: Brunswick & Balke Company...the two companies having merged around that time.

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I posted these pics up once before, awhile back...but we've got a lot of new members since then, and also, this table is so cool, it's worth seeing the pics again...for any of you younger guys who don't know, this is the two-pocket One Pocket table that was built back in the day - never were a lot of them though....

It's interesting to think about all of the One Pocket-bank shots that you could shoot on this table, with no pockets getting in the way...and there would be a lot of different strategies that we would have to learn, playing on this table...I sure wish I had one available to me to play on...:)

- Ghost

PS, This is the table that I chose to make a graphic design of, to put on my One Pocket t-shirt, as many of you know.

PPS, Nicky Varner would be licking his chops looking at this table, imagining all of the severe wedges he could start arranging in those up-table corners, lol.

Attachments

• ONE POCKET TABLE 1.jpg
    ONE POCKET TABLE 1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ONE POCKET TABLE 2.jpg
    ONE POCKET TABLE 2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
I posted these pics up once before, awhile back...but we've got a lot of new members since then, and also, this table is so cool, it's worth seeing the pics again...for any of you younger guys who don't know, this is the two-pocket One Pocket table that was built back in the day - never were a lot of them though....

It's interesting to think about all of the One Pocket-bank shots that you could shoot on this table, with no pockets getting in the way...and there would be a lot of different strategies that we would have to learn, playing on this table...I sure wish I had one available to me to play on...:)

- Ghost

PS, This is the table that I chose to make a graphic design of, to put on my One Pocket t-shirt, as many of you know.

PPS, Nicky Varner would be licking his chops looking at this table, imagining all of the severe wedges he could start arranging in those up-table corners, lol.

That is one beautifull table. One pocket table for grave robers. But that table looks great.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

1970ish - Not that I did much playing pool inner city, but there were two of these tables at 13th and G streets NW downtown DC. If one doesn't mind using this term but caucasians usually played in the 'burbs (24 hour rooms) but I was truely amazed when I laid eyes on these bad boys. Never had seen a two pocket table! The balls were one solid color of either green or maroon - no stripes, no solids, no numerals. Yes, OnePocket has been big in the DC area for as long as I can recollect.

Remember this well, thanks for the memory ...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Bensinger's

Bensinger's

Hey Artie.....I promised you that I would dig up an old Bensinger's photo that I had, and scan it, and I finally did - also I know that Steve Booth and other members have wanted to see what the old Bensinger's dungeon looked like..:)....I think it's appropriate that this pic was taken in black & white - gives it a nice 'back in the day' look...sure is a pretty poolhall isn't it - look at all of the tropical potted plants, the beautiful carpeting, and the polished mahogany and brass cueholders...:D...

...this is just a view of one small corner of Bensinger's - it's a pic of a couple of the billiard tables that were situated right past the front counter, right after you came in...this pic was taken during an ABA 3cushion billiard tournament in about 1970...that's the young Ghost that you're looking at, shooting on the foreground table...:)...playing on the table next to me in the pic, is Luis Campos - a champion-speed 3c player back at that time.

- Ghost

PS, Artie & Freddy...look at the top left in the pic - that's Marvin Goodman leaning against the pillar - a name from the past...and all the way up in the top left corner of the pic, partially obscured by a pillar and light fixture, is the famous old 'Angel Painting' hanging on the wall - and if I remember correctly, it was old Mrs. Bensinger that painted that angel painting.

Attachments

• scan0019.jpg
    scan0019.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Terrific

Terrific

One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Artie.....I promised you that I would dig up an old Bensinger's photo that I had, and scan it, and I finally did - also I know that Steve Booth and other members have wanted to see what the old Bensinger's dungeon looked like..:)....I think it's appropriate that this pic was taken in black & white - gives it a nice 'back in the day' look...sure is a pretty poolhall isn't it - look at all of the tropical potted plants, the beautiful carpeting, and the polished mahogany and brass cueholders...:D...

...this is just a view of one small corner of Bensinger's - it's a pic of a couple of the billiard tables that were situated right past the front counter, right after you came in...this pic was taken during an ABA 3cushion billiard tournament in about 1970...that's the young Ghost that you're looking at, shooting on the foreground table...:)...playing on the table next to me in the pic, is Luis Campos - a champion-speed 3c player back at that time.

- Ghost

PS, Artie & Freddy...look at the top left in the pic - that's Marvin Goodman leaning against the pillar - a name from the past...and all the way up in the top left corner of the pic, partially obscured by a pillar and light fixture, is the famous old 'Angel Painting' hanging on the wall - hey Artie & Freddy, am I remembering correctly, that it was old Mrs. Bensinger that painted that angel painting?

Did you spot Mary, the black cloakroom woman walking past the office door?
She used to check coats, deliver drinks and hand out private cues for tips. We found out later that she was always wealthy. She was married to a rich doctor and lived in a mansion on Irving Park road.

Beard

crystal cue

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

PS, Artie & Freddy...look at the top left in the pic - that's Marvin Goodman leaning against the pillar - a name from the past...and all the way up in the top left corner of the pic, partially obscured by a pillar and light fixture, is the famous old 'Angel Painting' hanging on the wall - hey Artie & Freddy, am I remembering correctly, that it was old Mrs. Bensinger that painted that angel painting?

Does anyone know what happened to the tables and related equipment after Bensingers closed down?