A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Artie Bodendorfer said:
CaliRed Are you going too get me a apointment with one off those top politicians.

Or If I wright the Idea off Internet gambling and saveing the country can you get it out all over the country.

Some one has too respond too it.

Your a very sharp young man. Can you get this done??? Yes or No.

I dont like too keep asking someone if they dont want too do something.

Andno matter what your answer you will still be ok with me. Thank you kindly Sir.

Artie, I have not one political bone in my body. I also have 0 political connections. I am a nobody in the grand scheme of things. I am a hermit who has not had one person that would fall in a friend category, over to my apt in the last 7 years. I just haven't ran into anybody who meshed, and I don't hang out much. I don't think I"m your man for the job:)

As sad as all that sounds... I do think, if some of the people I have met in the forums lived around me, that I would have a few buddies:D

I am also not "young", as I'm hitting the 1/2 century mark this year.:(

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Artie, I have not one political bone in my body. I also have 0 political connections. I am a nobody in the grand scheme of things. I am a hermit who has not had one person that would fall in a friend category, over to my apt in the last 7 years. I just haven't ran into anybody who meshed, and I don't hang out much. I don't think I"m your man for the job:)

As sad as all that sounds... I do think, if some of the people I have met in the forums lived around me, that I would have a few buddies:D

I am also not "young", as I'm hitting the 1/2 century mark this year.:([/QUOTE

Thanks for your honesty. You might not no it. But by your post people will respect you more and see what a nice person and honest person you are.

Thanks for being as hoest as you were. And Im sure everyone will respect you for it.

A million thanks for comeing out in the open. You are on our One pocket hall off fame team.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
philwelch said:
I was unaware that Buddy Rich was a vaudeville drummer. I know he was one of the greatest jazz drummers who ever lived, and he was about as quick as Don Rickles with a witty retort.
I'm sure Doc, being a drummer himself, probably listened to a lot of Buddy's recordings.
Yep. Buddy was the best drummer of all time. There are many tied for second place.;) There were guys who had Buddy's speed, but not the whole package. No one had his ability to drive a band-- especially a big band.

Doc

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Murray Humphreys?

Murray Humphreys?

philwelch said:
Artie I think Gus Alex would have been the man to talk to.

Are you talking about Murray "the Camel " Humphreys, leader of the Outfit's
connection guys whose position Gus Alex took over when he died?

Capone gave him that nickname.

BTW Artie, who was the guy protecting you? An Outfit guy?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
DWS said:
Are you talking about Murray "the Camel " Humphreys, leader of the Outfit's
connection guys whose position Gus Alex took over when he died?

Capone gave him that nickname.

BTW Artie, who was the guy protecting you? An Outfit guy?

YAh thats him. He went too court with a cane and all bent over with a big over coat on.

And when his case was over he through away his over coat and cain and went outside the court building and started danceing.

He was good friends with a friend off mein old man Gorge. He would be over 100 years old.

I didnt need protection. I never f up. But I new a lot off those peopl;e from gambling and the pool room.

They did thier thing and I did mein and I always meinded my owne buissness.

And if you dont no howe the game goes people shouldnt play it. Its a little bit ruff for the avarage person.

And one mistake and its all over. Nobody can win playing that game. Especialy now days nobody knowes who is who.

And they make deals like its Filaymounyan. Justice is all gone and lets make a deal took over.

And the Goverment doesnt want too loose one case in court. Even if they are wrong they make a deal.

When they should pay back all the money for lawyers and youre time and pay a penalty for being wrong and making a mistake.

But nobody can go over thier head. And all the federal judges vote in favor off the us attornies. Because they are both on the same side and getting paid by the same people.

Thats justice you stand alone and they have all the money and attornies and all the time in the world too find something on you. Or they bust you out in a court room.

What do you call that in the free world. Democracy.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
:focus...

This old thread is always worthy of a bump...

Here's a very cool old pic of an old, rural, 1930's pool/card room.

- Ghost

PS, Hey Rod....you weren't by any chance hanging around in this place when you were a kid were you?...:eek:...:D

Attachments

• POOL HALL 1930'S.jpg
    POOL HALL 1930'S.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 4

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
:focus...

This old thread is always worthy of a bump...

Here's a very cool old pic of an old, rural, 1930's pool/card room.

- Ghost

PS, Hey Rod....you weren't by any chance hanging around in this place when you were a kid were you?...:eek:...:D

Yup. That's my dads Chevy out front. He was a domino player. :D
Rod.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
dominos

dominos

Yup. That's my dads Chevy out front. He was a domino player. :D
Rod.

when i was a little kid around late 70s/early 80s, my dad used to take me to a pool hall on saturday mornings in decatur, il somewhere around the cerro gordo/eldorado area to teach me snooker. other than being fascinated that any human being could actually make a ball on one of those tables, a very vivid memory of mine is that there was always a group of old men playing dominos up at the front.

thats a cool photo with a neat story.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Dominos

Dominos

The pool rooms I hung around outside Los Angeles in the 60's/70's all had domino games.

They taught me how to play moon at Verne Peterson's Billiard Palace and while I never was a very good player, I love the game. The Golden Cue in Rosemead had four 4 x 4 tables covered in old pool cloth we use to play dominos or cards on.

These were not cheap games either. At Verne's the smallest moon game was $5/10 and often got up to $20/40. I finally quit playing because the dominos (doubles) all had suspicious scratches on them.

At the Golden Cue I started playing pinochle. We played single deck, each hand was a game for a dollar a point and double in spades. They loved for me to play because I was a sucker and then would yell at me when I played bad and held or led the wrong cards to set someone. The partner games were hilarious with a bunch of old farts screaming at each other about the bids.

Good times.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The pool rooms I hung around outside Los Angeles in the 60's/70's all had domino games.

They taught me how to play moon at Verne Peterson's Billiard Palace and while I never was a very good player, I love the game. The Golden Cue in Rosemead had four 4 x 4 tables covered in old pool cloth we use to play dominos or cards on.

These were not cheap games either. At Verne's the smallest moon game was $5/10 and often got up to $20/40. I finally quit playing because the dominos (doubles) all had suspicious scratches on them.( It's just as fair for one as the other)
Good times.

2 Handed=10 rock moon was my very best game. Followed by knock poker.
I haven't played in many years but hustled it constantly in the 60's and 70's. I had many people sit behind me and when my opponent got broke ask me if they could play. :heh
Rod.
P.S. The secret to 10 rock was bid the value of your opponents hand. Never mind what your hand would make. If they raised the bid you had'em. When it was their bid just evaluate the missing 12 dominos and you'd know if they could make their bid.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
At the Golden Cue I started playing pinochle. We played single deck, each hand was a game for a dollar a point and double in spades. They loved for me to play because I was a sucker and then would yell at me when I played bad and held or led the wrong cards to set someone. The partner games were hilarious with a bunch of old farts screaming at each other about the bids.

Good times.

Hey John...we'd have loved you over at Freddy's old club too..:)...here's an excerpt from a post that I made awhile back >>>

One Pocket Ghost;45967 said:
...at Freddy's old club, funny thing was, for all the years that the club was open, I'd bet that I was in there about 5 times more than Freddy was..:eek:....and we did play a lot of pinochle there - mostly partners double deck...I used to be in there about 5 days a week, playing more pinochle than pool, lol - my favorite pinochle partner was Mort the houseman, cuz we played about the same speed, and he was a good guy to play with.......Racetrack Phil played real good and was a good partner to have - except for one small thing - if you overbid him on a hand that he wanted, he could sometimes get a bit tushhoggish and pull out his .38 and lay it on the table..:eek:..then if you went set after taking the bid away from him, you could have a real problem - right Phil?...:D........We even had a pinochle tournament one year - it was handicapped, there was an A flight and a B flight....if anybody thought they played good pinochle...they could come in there and play Freddy, Phil, or Artie - and bet what they want...

- Ghost

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
2 Handed=10 rock moon was my very best game. Followed by knock poker.
I haven't played in many years but hustled it constantly in the 60's and 70's. I had many people sit behind me and when my opponent got broke ask me if they could play. :heh
Rod.
P.S. The secret to 10 rock was bid the value of your opponents hand. Never mind what your hand would make. If they raised the bid you had'em. When it was their bid just evaluate the missing 12 dominos and you'd know if they could make their bid.

We played three handed with seven dominos and one in the kitty. Dealer had to take it for five if no one bid.

I play it every day now on the computer. The program is written by a guy in Texas. Let me know if you want me to send you the info.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Double deck pinochle partners

Double deck pinochle partners

Hey John...we'd have loved you over at Freddy's old club too..:)...here's an excerpt from a post that I made awhile back >>>
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost
...at Freddy's old club, funny thing was, for all the years that the club was open, I'd bet that I was in there about 5 times more than Freddy was......and we did play a lot of pinochle there - mostly partners double deck...I used to be in there about 5 days a week, playing more pinochle than pool, lol - my favorite pinochle partner was Mort the houseman, cuz we played about the same speed, and he was a good guy to play with.......Racetrack Phil played real good and was a good partner to have - except for one small thing - if you overbid him on a hand that he wanted, he could sometimes get a bit tushhoggish and pull out his .38 and lay it on the table....then if you went set after taking the bid away from him, you could have a real problem - right Phil?...........We even had a pinochle tournament one year - it was handicapped, there was an A flight and a B flight....if anybody thought they played good pinochle...they could come in there and play Freddy, Phil, or Artie - and bet what they want...

- Ghost

One of the all time great games. We played it cheap and we played it for serious money. Phil and I, or Bobby Wilkinson and I would play partners against road card hustlers and bet what they wanted. We'd even let them use signals. Just as long as they werent handing notes to each other.

Gar would sometimes play for a week, wearing out many partners. His feet would swell up so much, we would have to cut his shoes open.

My best game was two handed pinochle. Maybe the most skillful 2 handed game there is. (as voiced by many card experts) They came from everywhere to take shots at me. Fortunately for me, cocaine only addled my brain when I played pool. Didnt hurt my card playing too much.

Incardona seems to think that it is his long suit also. But fortunately for him we couldnt agree on the rules to play the game.

Beard

I was at the club all the time, Ghost. But I spent most of that time upstairs in the office freaking it up with the local neighborhood stock.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost
...at Freddy's old club, funny thing was, for all the years that the club was open, I'd bet that I was in there about 5 times more than Freddy was......and we did play a lot of pinochle there - mostly partners double deck...I used to be in there about 5 days a week, playing more pinochle than pool, lol - my favorite pinochle partner was Mort the houseman, cuz we played about the same speed, and he was a good guy to play with.......Racetrack Phil played real good and was a good partner to have - except for one small thing - if you overbid him on a hand that he wanted, he could sometimes get a bit tushhoggish and pull out his .38 and lay it on the table....then if you went set after taking the bid away from him, you could have a real problem - right Phil?...........We even had a pinochle tournament one year - it was handicapped, there was an A flight and a B flight....if anybody thought they played good pinochle...they could come in there and play Freddy, Phil, or Artie - and bet what they want...

- Ghost

One of the all time great games. We played it cheap and we played it for serious money. Phil and I, or Bobby Wilkinson and I would play partners against road card hustlers and bet what they wanted. We'd even let them use signals. Just as long as they werent handing notes to each other.

Gar would sometimes play for a week, wearing out many partners. His feet would swell up so much, we would have to cut his shoes open.

My best game was two handed pinochle. Maybe the most skillful 2 handed game there is. (as voiced by many card experts) They came from everywhere to take shots at me. Fortunately for me, cocaine only addled my brain when I played pool. Didnt hurt my card playing too much.

Incardona seems to think that it is his long suit also. But fortunately for him we couldnt agree on the rules to play the game.

Beard

I was at the club all the time, Ghost. But I spent most of that time upstairs in the office freaking it up with the local neighborhood stock.

We also played a lot of gin. I wasn't a very good player but there was one guy I could beat because he never would go down, he always waited to gin.

I had him stuck pretty good one day and we had raised the bet. That got the attention of three sweators who came over and tried to help, hoping to get a little jelly when it was over. I had a foot touching each shoe and the other one had his hand in back of my chair on my shirt. Every time I touched the wrong discard I would get my shirt pulled and both feet stepped on.

Drove me crazy and I quit after getting even. Of course, in this joint, one or two of them might have been in with him.:rolleyes:

We actually had a transplant from Chicago die because of staying up too long playing pinochle right after he had some heart problems. I can't remember his name but he was an in law of Buttermilk's and it was rumored he would shoot Butter if he saw him. We never saw Butter until after this guy had passed.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
We also played a lot of gin. I wasn't a very good player but there was one guy I could beat because he never would go down, he always waited to gin.
We actually had a transplant from Chicago die because of staying up too long playing pinochle right after he had some heart problems. I can't remember his name but he was an in law of Buttermilk's and it was rumored he would shoot Butter if he saw him. We never saw Butter until after this guy had passed.

Buttermilk and Butter? You're making this up.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bill Gibbs

Bill Gibbs

I had him stuck pretty good one day and we had raised the bet. That got the attention of three sweators who came over and tried to help, hoping to get a little jelly when it was over. I had a foot touching each shoe and the other one had his hand in back of my chair on my shirt. Every time I touched the wrong discard I would get my shirt pulled and both feet stepped on.

Drove me crazy and I quit after getting even. Of course, in this joint, one or two of them might have been in with him.:rolleyes:

His name was Bill Gibbs, Buttermilk had molested his young (11) daughter. He damn sure would have killed him. They used to be hustling partners.

Beard

Molesting little girls and marrying 13 yr old Mexican girls was Butter's long suit.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
His name was Bill Gibbs, Buttermilk had molested his young (11) daughter. He damn sure would have killed him. They used to be hustling partners.

Beard

QUOTE]

Bill had a very bad temper. During a pinochle game he threw a chair across the pool room the same day he received a pacemaker. He had to go in for a bypass and died soon after that. He did not like Mexican Johnny. I was playing Johnny one time and Bill said if I lost to him he would kick my ass. Johnny beat me at one pocket but I moved him over to the snooker table for some golf and ended up getting the $$.

Lots of top players came through and were steered by Butter and/or Popcorn. I played Cornbread some $10 nine ball when they brought him into Five Points Bowl. I swear the way he sneered at those balls, they had to go in. He did not stall, just whacked me out four games in a row and I pulled up.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Beard

QUOTE]

Bill had a very bad temper. During a pinochle game he threw a chair across the pool room the same day he received a pacemaker. He had to go in for a bypass and died soon after that. He did not like Mexican Johnny. I was playing Johnny one time and Bill said if I lost to him he would kick my ass. Johnny beat me at one pocket but I moved him over to the snooker table for some golf and ended up getting the $$.

Lots of top players came through and were steered by Butter and/or Popcorn. I played Cornbread some $10 nine ball when they brought him into Five Points Bowl. I swear the way he sneered at those balls, they had to go in. He did not stall, just whacked me out four games in a row and I pulled up.

Boy, am I glad I have such a sweet disposition.:lol:lol

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
We played three handed with seven dominos and one in the kitty. Dealer had to take it for five if no one bid.

I play it every day now on the computer. The program is written by a guy in Texas. Let me know if you want me to send you the info.

Thanks for the offer, but I get my gambling habit fix in the stock market these days.:frus
Rod.