A. Pagulayan vs. E. Reyes

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Lotta possibilities here, 1rail kick the striped ball by Alex's pocket, etc...I'll look longer, but my first thought is that most likely I'll be choosing to bank the red ball either firmly into the stack (power shot) or just over to my side of the table (less aggressive, more control), while going 2 rails with the cueball to billiard the striped ball away from Alex's pocket.

- Ghost

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
I would bank the red 3 ball into the rail just behind the 6 ball and spin the cue ball out to the middle of the table.

If I make the 3 ball I will have a shot on the 6 ball. If not I will still be safe.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Lotta possibilities here, 1rail kick the striped ball by Alex's pocket, etc...I'll look longer, but my first thought is that most likely I'll be choosing to bank the red ball either firmly into the stack (power shot) or just over to my side of the table (less aggressive, more control), while going 2 rails with the cueball to billiard the striped ball away from Alex's pocket.

- Ghost

I like both your shots as an answer to the break here, but I would lean more toward banking the 3ball into the 12ball and at the same time trying not to disturb the balls on Reyes side that don't go in his pocket.....8..10..and 15ball I would play the cue ball two cushions underneath the stripe, with a medium hard speed. I see good things happening with that shot, and it seems to me to be a lower risk shot than kicking at the stripe in front of Reyes pocket, at least to me.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would bank the red 3 ball into the rail just behind the 6 ball and spin the cue ball out to the middle of the table.

If I make the 3 ball I will have a shot on the 6 ball. If not I will still be safe.

Bill S.

Your choice has some benefit but I don't like leaving the stripe in front of Reyes pocket.:sorry You're gambling too much on the shot working out imo, and if it doesn't you will most likely be in a tough position. Also, I don't believe you can pocket the 3ball considering how the 6ball is positioned (too close to the rail)and to make the 6ball requires a thinner cut with the 3ball, if it's even possible.:confused: If the 6ball was positioned another inch from the rail it would be a much better opotion, imo, and one that I would shoot.

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
Billy,

I think you are right about the 6 ball being too close to the rail.
If so, I would not shoot that shot.

On closer examination the brown ball looks like it might go off the billiard.

If it goes, I am banking the red 3 ball into it and taking out the stripe like the ghost mentioned. My only concern if the 14 doesn't go is leaving an easy bank.
You would need to hit it pretty hard.

Bill S.

Last edited:

bernie p

Verified Member
Interesting layout with plenty of options for Efren....

Does Efren have a natural angle to kick softly (pocket speed) one rail to the green 6 ball, just missing the 15 ball by Alex's hole?

If so, and he makes it....Efren is clearly out of the trap and favorite to win the game.

If not, the 6 would be hung by Efren's hole and Alex would have no offensive shot. Granted he could then easily make the 6 and put Efren in trouble behind the stack.

Other than that, I agree, the carom to move the 15 by Alex's hole is crucial.

Bernie.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Interesting layout with plenty of options for Efren....

Does Efren have a natural angle to kick softly (pocket speed) one rail to the green 6 ball, just missing the 15 ball by Alex's hole?

If so, and he makes it....Efren is clearly out of the trap and favorite to win the game.

If not, the 6 would be hung by Efren's hole and Alex would have no offensive shot. Granted he could then easily make the 6 and put Efren in trouble behind the stack.

Other than that, I agree, the carom to move the 15 by Alex's hole is crucial.

Bernie.
Bernie, good eye with your depiction of the kick into the 6ball but like you say there may not be enough room to execute the shot. It's funny how a 1/2" can be the difference in deciding to shoot a shot, or pass up on it. Take for instance Stroud's bank on the 3ball into the rail and then into the 6ball in hopes to pocket the 3ball off the 6ball. With his option the 6ball is positioned too close to the bottom rail to bank on that happening, he agreed. With your suggestion on kicking the 6ball, the 6ball is positioned 'too far' from the rail to make the shot inviting. If the 6ball was positioned around 1/2" off the rail that would be the best shot...hands down. However, like we all know a half inch can make a "big" difference. If you know what I mean.:D

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Bernie, to make the shot inviting. If the 6ball was positioned around 1/2" off the rail that would be the best shot...hands down. However, like we all know a half inch can make a "big" difference. If you know what I mean.:D

Dr. Bill

I absolutely agree it would then be the best shot..I'm always on the lookout for that shot...

But, Dr. Billy...if I may be so bold..:)...

Rather than 1/2" off the rail...the optimum distance off of the rail for kicking a ball in, is for it to be from 1/8" to 1/4" off the rail - 1/8" being best...at 1/8" off the rail, you have a big target because you can make it ball first or rail first..and just as important, safety-wise, if you don't make the ball, at 1/8" off the rail, you won't be able to hit under the ball enough to clip it up to the long rail above the pocket points and leave a cross-corner bank to your opponent.

- Ghost<------Winner of a kick shot prop bet at the Galveston One Pocket tournament 3 years ago...:heh

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I absolutely agree it would then be the best shot..I'm always on the lookout for that shot...

But, Dr. Billy...if I may be so bold..:)...

Rather than 1/2" off the rail...the optimum distance off of the rail for kicking a ball in, is for it to be from 1/8" to 1/4" off the rail - 1/8" being best...at 1/8" off the rail, you have a big target because you can make it ball first or rail first..and just as important, safety-wise, if you don't make the ball, at 1/8" off the rail, you won't be able to hit under the ball enough to clip it up to the long rail above the pocket points and leave a cross-corner bank to your opponent.

- Ghost<------Winner of a kick shot prop bet at the Galveston One Pocket tournament 3 years ago...:heh
Maybe 1/2" off the rail is a little too far but the best position for the 6ball to be in would be 1/4' off the rail. I say this because of the "closeness" the 6ball is from the pocket. I also feel that the "sweet spot" for the shot shooting at a ball 1/4" off the rail is larger than if it was 1/8" off the rail, particularly when you consider the distance the 6ball is from the pocket. You actually have more latitude with the extra 1/8 " with a ball 1/4" off the rail. Imo.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Efren banked the 3 into the 12 with a little low-right spin. He almost hit it with too much draw. He barely hit the 15 ball with the cueball and then he double-kissed it but he came out O.K.. I didn't show the double-kiss.

er1.jpg

He left Alex here:

er2.jpg
er3.jpg

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Shoot the nine into the ten ball combo, stick em behind/below the fourteen, you'll probably move the six ball to your long rail and knock a couple on your side up table.

backplaying

Verified Member
Be tough jacked up, but I might try and move the 4 and 6 and float the cue ball up on the side rail by the middle diamond. He could also thin the 15 and leave the cueball up by the right corner pocket using the balls to block him from moving the 15. He might also come off the 7 and put him behind the 6 ball.

piggybank04

Verified Member
i like ghost's shot to bank 7 into the stack and play the billiard to knock out the 13.....

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Moving on to Alex's shot: I'm in favor of a very soft rail first hit on the six using the four to block access to the stripe by Alex's hole as well as the eleven and three. The six doesn't have to move up table far at all. The shot is all about the cue ball. This likely forces Efren to play the cue ball back to the foot rail nudging off the four which gives Alex an opportunity to keep the trap working by keeping him locked tightly frozen to a ball. It may take several innings to accomplish springing the trap but trying to be too aggressive too soon may free Efren to escape a strong break.

The best way to keep a tiger under control is to keep him in a tight cage.

Tom