A New Shot for Me

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Hi All,

I have read many of your WWYD threads and really enjoyed reading them, and of course learning from them. One of the reasons I love 1-pocket is the opportunity to get creative when your back is against the wall. Well I ran into one of these type shots earlier today and wanted to give back to you all, although you may have known of this shot before. I have never shot this before in my life, but luckily I thought of what to do and miraculously I executed it perfectly.

Here's the layout - my opponent needed 1 and I needed 2 and he had his game ball ball dripping in his pocket. I couldn't follow it in because he would have an easy shot to get out so I had to think of something. I felt I couldn't bank the ball that's frozen at the 1st diamond - I would be interested to see if you thought it was bankable.

I'll come back with my solution, but feel free to share what you would do.

Dave

Attachments

• 1-pocket.jpg
    1-pocket.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
I'm at a loss.

At first look, I don't think there is a chance in hell the bank will go. Just to be sure, I went to my table and tried it. No way it goes.

I then tried caroming off the 8 to make the 9, and follow the 9 in. I tried with force follow, and a draw type carom. Neither one could I pocket the 9.

I have no clue what the shot is from here.

*Disclaimer, C player here.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i dont think you can follow it in playing the billiard off the 8.
looks like touch of high right might be a natural scratch.

dustin2.JPG

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jack up and bank the eight up table and carom in the nine and then scratch three rails in the upper corner, making sure to get the eight behind the line, or you can carom off the eight hard, caroming in the nine and jump the table in one motion, making sure to get the eight above the line. Pretty simple and easy if you practice it a bit. Or you can just dig the nine out and not leave a shot, but that is a little reckless.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Try and slow roll the cue ball onto the spot and take a scratch. If you put the cue ball right on the spot, when you spot up the owed ball your oppo wont even have an easy kick a the ball hanging in the pocket.

Beard

Just kidding, unless you are playing a dunce who doesnt know the rules.(Actually, he will have a decent kick at the ball because you cannot freeze the object ball to the cue ball, only to another object ball. With the room left between the balls the kick will still be easy even though you will need to use english.)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I've seen where a player actually jumped over the hanging ball, caught the back of the pocket and the cue ball rebounded into the back of the object ball clearing it. The cue ball then stopped where the object ball once was.
An amazing shot, one which I've never seen again in 45 years of playing this game.

Tom

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hi All,

I have read many of your WWYD threads and really enjoyed reading them, and of course learning from them. One of the reasons I love 1-pocket is the opportunity to get creative when your back is against the wall. Well I ran into one of these type shots earlier today and wanted to give back to you all, although you may have known of this shot before. I have never shot this before in my life, but luckily I thought of what to do and miraculously I executed it perfectly.

Here's the layout - my opponent needed 1 and I needed 2 and he had his game ball ball dripping in his pocket. I couldn't follow it in because he would have an easy shot to get out so I had to think of something. I felt I couldn't bank the ball that's frozen at the 1st diamond - I would be interested to see if you thought it was bankable.

I'll come back with my solution, but feel free to share what you would do.

Dave

Hi Dave, the only thing I can see is hitting the point of the pocket on the long rail side firmly, forcing the 9 ball to double the pocket and shoot over to your hole. The cue ball comes out for a bank on the eight ball.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I've seen where a player actually jumped over the hanging ball, caught the back of the pocket and the cue ball rebounded into the back of the object ball clearing it. The cue ball then stopped where the object ball once was.
An amazing shot, one which I've never seen again in 45 years of playing this game.

Tom

Tom, about 10 years ago I was playing Chris Crosser (you should know him he plays pretty good and also does table maintenance) we were playing at Beyond Billiards in Davie. We were playing last pocket 8 ball both using house cues with no tips. He hung the 8 ball on the lip of his pocket. Only prayer I had was to fire a jump shot at the 8 ball hoping to catch the back of the pocket and knock the 8 out. Well it was probably 1 in a million but that is exactly what happened. I caught the back of the pocket knocked the 8 ball downtable and won the game a few innings later. The funny part was when I hit the shot Chris almost fell off his stool and almost choked on his cigarette. LMFAO

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
i dont think you can follow it in playing the billiard off the 8.
looks like touch of high right might be a natural scratch.

View attachment 9289

I like this option and never thought of it. My opponent's ball was so deep the pocket that the 8 would have to move away from the pocket so if I were to scratch there would be a tough shot at the least.

Thanks,
Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Tom

This is way above my skill level, but if I saw no other option, I may try this one day. Thanks.

Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Hi Dave, the only thing I can see is hitting the point of the pocket on the long rail side firmly, forcing the 9 ball to double the pocket and shoot over to your hole. The cue ball comes out for a bank on the eight ball.

John, thanks for playing along. The pockets on the table we were playing on were tighter than the wei table but please know there was no way to take that ball out, it was in deep.

Thanks,
Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I just want to thank all those that posted in this thread, it wasn't intended to be a WWYD it's just that I ran out of time yesterday to post my solution, but I'm glad it did.

I decided my only out was to jack up about 15-20 degrees and pop the cueball hitting like 1/2 of the right side of the frozen 8 ball and have cue make the 9 and jump off the table (the 9 was so deep it couldn't hit a full ball so I thought if I were to get the cue jumping a little it would leave the table). I wanted to hit it with the speed that would allow the 8 ball to go twice back and forth to end up on my side of the table. It was like the perfect storm and all worked as planned...to my surprise. I actually felt I already lost so I had nothing to lose. Here's my attempt at the diagram:

Dave

Attachments

• 1-pocket result.jpg
    1-pocket result.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0

beatle

Verified Member
or hit it very hard into the short rail about thru the first diamond. from that angle some times you will bank it or double bank it or may even double kiss bank it in. still a long shot.

i still might let him have the kick at it by leaving the cue ball on the spot. as he may scratch on it or even miss it.

remember he is not playing a world beater.

i might also roll him up table and have him shooting at the combo.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
The only other possibility I saw would have required a very fast table and a great deal of three cushion knowledge. Play three rails off the eight back into the hanging ball hoping to scratch with it. The eight ball goes side rail, end rail, side rail, side rail, top rail, and dies in the kitchen.

Not likely to work but not much does in this spot. Whew! Yeah, right!

Tom