A Legend Doesn't Die...

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I've always loved this exchange between Jesse Cardiff (Jack Klugman) and Fats Brown (Jonathan Winters) when they first meet:

Cardiff: But you're...

Fats: Dead? Not really. As long as people talk about you you're not really dead. As long as they speak your name you continue. A legend doesn't die just because the man does.

Which players will still be talked about in 25 years? In 50 years? In 100 years?

I can think of 4 that will get a mention in 100 years.

1. Minnesota Fats...for showmanship and loving & promoting the game (along with himself). Hell, they even made a movie about him:).

2. Willie Mosconi...for 15 titles, fabulous 5'x 10' play and and his rivalry with Fats, with poor Willie being the straight man to Fats.

3. Ronnie Allen...for being the innovator and turning One-Pocket into an offensive game. Ronnie did for One-Pocket what the forward pass did for football or what Babe Ruth and the homerun did for baseball. He opened it up and showed that there was another way to play it.

4. Efren Reyes...for being probably the greatest all-around player there ever was or will be. If you had a tournament that included five games that are played on a pooltable and 5 games that are played on a billiard table, there is nobody that could touch Efren.

Of course, I won't know if I'm wrong but that's never stopped me:p.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've always loved this exchange between Jesse Cardiff (Jack Klugman) and Fats Brown (Jonathan Winters) when they first meet:

Fats: Dead? Not really. As long as people talk about you you're not really dead. As long as they speak your name you continue. A legend doesn't die just because the man does.

Which players will still be talked about in 25 years? In 50 years? In 100 years?

1. Minnesota Fats...for showmanship and loving & promoting the game (along with himself). Hell, they even made a movie about him:).

2. Willie Mosconi...for 15 titles, fabulous 5'x 10' play and and his rivalry with Fats, with poor Willie being the straight man to Fats.

3. Ronnie Allen...for being the innovator and turning One-Pocket into an offensive game. Ronnie did for One-Pocket what the forward pass did for football or what Babe Ruth and the homerun did for baseball. He opened it up and showed that there was another way to play it.

4. Efren Reyes...for being probably the greatest all-around player there ever was or will be. If you had a tournament that included five games that are played on a pooltable and 5 games that are played on a billiard table, there is nobody that could touch Efren.

Dennis
I agree with all four of these. Raymond Cuelemans & Willie Hoppe in billiards probably last too -- Heck, Hoppe is half way there already, lol

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I agree with all four of these. Raymond Cuelemans & Willie Hoppe in billiards probably last too -- Heck, Hoppe is half way there already, lol

I could definitely see Ceulemans being mentioned for 3C. In the mid to late 70's when I started hanging in poolrooms the guys who were better than me (everybody) talked about Ceulemans like he was a god. We had a billiard table in the room and they would set up shots and show what Ceulemans did in those spots. All these years later I remember the reverence and respect they had for Mr. Ceulemans.

Dennis

Dennis

Dennis, they will get a mention if the media keeps them alive.

Not likely Clarebaby..The media is much too liberal to do that....Pool player's are all Republican's...
Ya know, pro free enterprise, pro gun, anti-Obama, etc. ! :rolleyes: :D

You, Fanny, and Denise, are the only Dem's we tolerate...We like the 'feminine' touch ! :p

View attachment 7741

Ah, yes, Ducky, I did notice that. Pool players=Republicans=stuck in the past=poor for the rest of their lives=second verse same as the first=.....

Just as an aside: When I met JR he was wearing bell bottoms from the 1970's. My God, it was 1984 (or there about). If it weren't for me, he'd still be wearing them.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ah, yes, Ducky, I did notice that. Pool players=Republicans=stuck in the past=poor for the rest of their lives=second verse same as the first=.....

Just as an aside: When I met JR he was wearing bell bottoms from the 1970's. My God, it was 1984 (or there about). If it weren't for me, he'd still be wearing them.

Retro is in. :)
Rod.
P.S. Hopefully.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Not likely Clarebaby..The media is much too liberal to do that....Pool player's are all Republican's...
Ya know, pro free enterprise, pro gun, anti-Obama, etc. !

You, Fanny, and Denise, are the only Dem's we tolerate...We like the 'feminine' touch !

Attachment 7741

I'm glad I went to church today and prayed for the Duck's post to be deleted:). There is a god:p. Thankfully the Duck still is too stupid to post pics that people can see.

P.S. Clare, was he wearing platform shoes too???:sorry

Cowboy "gone to church every Sunday for a week" Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'm glad I went to church today and prayed for the Duck's post to be deleted:). There is a god:p. Thankfully the Duck still is too stupid to post pics that people can see.

Yes, RBL-LIBO, by request, the offending post is gone..!..Apparently we need an "NPR" (Non Pool Related) forum, like AZB !..Where we can express our political views, mildly, without threats of banishment...I guess its my fault, that sometimes the "Members Only" forum bleeds into the "Main Forum"!

This same 'unforgivable sin', has been compromised MANY TIMES, by people from Chicago, (with a beard) who seem to have a similar, pronounced political attitudes !...His "anti-lib" posts, (sometimes tirades)..have run rampent ! (personally, I LOVE 'EM)...But, why are similar viewpoints, NOT tolerated, by others, even though they may use much more acceptable (ie; milder) language, while expressing the EXACT SAME ideologies..The mind boggles...:rolleyes:

PS..Take my gun's, take my money, but please, don't force me to explain the liberal mindset :eek:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

I understand your dillema..I'm glad you got JR up to date on his attire..Can you puhleeeze do something about Denise ?...He still wears the same clothes, as in his 1986 photo...(He may have been 21 or so)

PS..If you had to wear a sweater, for the rest of your life..would it be mine, or his ?...Let him down easy, he is very fragile...:lol :lol :lol

Last edited:

I understand your dillema..I'm glad you got JR up to date on his attire..Can you puhleeeze do something about Denise ?...He still wears the same clothes, as in his 1986 photo...(He may have been 21 or so)

PS..If you had to wear a sweater, for the rest of your life..would it be mine, or his ?...Let him down easy, he is very fragile...:lol :lol :lol

Talk about tough decisions. I'll have to think about that one. :lol

Dennis, no platform shoes. :eek::eek: He was in his bare feet. :D Just kidding.