A Game Of Pool

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
These are links to the 30 min. episode from the old Twilight Zone episode. I think this episode is the best depiction of one type of player that there is. Parts of it are a little corny like how the balls on the table move from frame to frame or how they don't rack up the other 14 balls in the final frame with one ball left on the table but, all in all, it's a great portrayal of a poolplayer who's the "Best on Randolph Street".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0iXODUwlrU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-T2UgIJgds&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1KklNruGCc&feature=relmfu[/ame]

If you watch the 1st link you can just click on the 2-3 & 3-3 links to the right on the YouTube site to see the other two parts.

EDIT: I didn't realize all 3 parts would show up like this. I guess you can just use these to watch all three parts.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Jack Klugman Dies At 90

Jack Klugman Dies At 90

The man who portrayed Jesse Cardif in this Twilight Zone episode died on Monday at 90 years of age. What a great performance he put forth in this episode. So many parallels to things we've all known and felt.

R.I.P. Jack Klugman

Dennis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Klugman

Klugman

jack whom i met a long time ago was in fact an okay pool player and gambled and went off. he was a regular guy and talked and acted like a person from the pool room. i did not know him well but long enough to not want to be around his constant smoking. but he did have some good stories.
he was also a horse nut.

He was a regular at the horse tracks in CA and had some success with some horses he owned.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jack whom i met a long time ago was in fact an okay pool player and gambled and went off. he was a regular guy and talked and acted like a person from the pool room. i did not know him well but long enough to not want to be around his constant smoking. but he did have some good stories.
he was also a horse nut.

Beatle, are you another C.A.F.?...;)... Better tell m'bud Tyler Durden, (our resident 'Clean Air Enforcer') that heres another guy who spent a lot of time in smoky old bars, and pool rooms, and 'smoked his brains out'...He only made it to 90..:p :p :p

Baby Killer Duck

PS..I'm sure if he had not breathed all that crap, (SHS)..he would have made it to 91 or 92....I wonder how many babies old "Oscar"
whacked out ?..:rolleyes: RIP Jack..!

Last edited:

George Fels

Verified Member
From
Chicago
A Game of Pool

A Game of Pool

My one objection to this show is that neither actor - especially Jonathan Winters - looked comfortable in the least at the table. There were plenty of lower-profile actors who could have made this MUCH better.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
George, that's very true, of course. However, I doubt that the producers of the show even knew that - especially at that time. They probably had no idea what a real pool player might look like at the table. You rent a table and get two shmucks with sticks and do a show about a pool game. What else do you need?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
My one objection to this show is that neither actor - especially Jonathan Winters - looked comfortable in the least at the table. There were plenty of lower-profile actors who could have made this MUCH better.

So then I guess it would be fair to say that you don't think JW showed proper form here?:p

jw.jpg

As we've seen in the last few weeks, actors make better poolplayers than poolplayers make actors.

Dennis

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
He was a regular at the horse tracks in CA and had some success with some horses he owned.

Yes, Jack was a fan and a horse owner. One of his best horses was one he owned and bred, named Jacklin Klugman. This is from Wiki:

He showed promise as a two-year-old, winning the California Breeders' Champion Stakes. At age three, after winning the California Derby at Golden Gate Fields in March, he would go on to race in the Kentucky Derby.

Ridden by champion jockey Darrel McHargue in the 1980 Kentucky Derby, Jaklin Klugman ran third to winner Genuine Risk. For that year, he also finished second in the then Grade I Vosburgh Stakes and third in the Marlboro Cup Invitational Handicap before winning the Jerome Handicap and the Hawthorne Derby later in the fall. His performances earned him 1980 California Horse of the Year honors.