he over drew it
actually the cue ball slid off the 11 alittle and here is how he left earl
earl ran 7 from here
ie1.jpg

ie2.jpg

ie3.jpg

DickP

Verified Member
Maybe hit the one full in the face, stun-run-through trying to leave the cue on the foot rail? The one does go to the opponent's side and leaves him a straight-back on the 13 as well, but that's the best I can come up with - hopefully the one will tie up any return bank on the 13...

one pocket guy

Verified Member
I would look down the opponents side rail ( around the third diamond etc) and find a spot nothing banks due to obstacles ,traffic what have you , and go off the 2 and move the cue ball. Put the 2 on my side and hopefully an easy / better option next time. That's all I see other than following the 15 but I don't like that.
Todd

jtompilot

Verified Member
I like coming off the 2.

The other shot is touchy, a stun shot on the 1 sending it three rails to your side and drifting the QB to the rail.

bstroud

Verified Member
If the angle is right he could bank the 2 toward his pocket and put the cue ball back where it is in the first pic.

He tried to move the 9 ball so he wouldn't leave a bank.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Being ahead 6-0, Ike was obviously trying to start driving balls uptable. I'm a little surprised that he tried to draw into the 9. It looks like it would have been more natural to come off the 1 into the rail with high or high right, and kick the 9 uptable.

He couldn't do anything in the manner of leaving whitey down by Earl's hole, if the 9 ball could bank cross corner-- which it looks as though it could.

So he probably took the right shot, but just muffed it.

~Doc

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I would look down the opponents side rail ( around the third diamond etc) and find a spot nothing banks due to obstacles ,traffic what have you , and go off the 2 and move the cue ball. Put the 2 on my side and hopefully an easy / better option next time. That's all I see other than following the 15 but I don't like that.
Todd
Yeah, that was my thought. It looks like using the 2 ball to put the cue on the long rail just above the side pocket would do the trick. The two is likely to end up where Earl could use it to play a return shot that leaves Ike near his hole. That's not much of a threat though. Ike might get a bank on the 9 or 1, tickie safe under the 9, etc. Ike probably resisted that for the simple reason that, being up 6-0, you generally don't want to hit a ball out of the kitchen. That plays better than selling out, though.

The other threat is that you're playing Earl and he just might cut the 13 ball in from the side rail.

1andDone

Verified Member
I like the shot he chose, just not the way he hit it. It appears to me he was attempting to 3 rail the 5 ball back to his hole while drawing whitey to freeze or snug up on the 11. The angle looks perfect for it, but apparently he shot too hard or it deflected more than he expected. I think it was a good, aggressive yet safe shot which was poorly executed... happens to everyone.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
I might've crossed the 5ball and rolled up close to the 9ball.

P.S. Won't be the 1st time I screwed up.

Attachments

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
I might've crossed the 5ball and rolled up close to the 9ball.

P.S. Won't be the 1st time I screwed up.
That's what I like. Until you mentioned this one I was gonna accept the disdvantages of banking the 2 at my hole playing mostly CB to the top rail near the corner (if I were Ike ). CB's wild if Earl fires at the 12.

wincardona

Verified Member
If the angle is right he could bank the 2 toward his pocket and put the cue ball back where it is in the first pic.

He tried to move the 9 ball so he wouldn't leave a bank.

Bill S.
I 100% agree with Stroud. This is one of the rare times when you need to position another ball down table to protect the lead. Considering how the balls are positioned in relation to the cue ball, going down table with the cue ball is too risky and difficult. Nows the time to play a good cue ball in spite of positioning another ball down table you must keep Earl off of a shot, that should be your priority. Playing off the 2ball is imo the correct shot to get away from this very threatening situation.

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Being ahead 6-0, Ike was obviously trying to start driving balls uptable. I'm a little surprised that he tried to draw into the 9. It looks like it would have been more natural to come off the 1 into the rail with high or high right, and kick the 9 uptable.

He couldn't do anything in the manner of leaving whitey down by Earl's hole, if the 9 ball could bank cross corner-- which it looks as though it could.

So he probably took the right shot, but just muffed it.

~Doc
That's exactly how I see it also Doc. He just played the CB poorly with the draw stroke.

wincardona

Verified Member
I like the shot he chose, just not the way he hit it. It appears to me he was attempting to 3 rail the 5 ball back to his hole while drawing whitey to freeze or snug up on the 11. The angle looks perfect for it, but apparently he shot too hard or it deflected more than he expected. I think it was a good, aggressive yet safe shot which was poorly executed... happens to everyone.
I think you nailed it when you say that he was either trying to stick or snuggle up to the 11ball, that would be the smartest way to play the cue ball, and if he was able to control the 1ball then it would of been a great shot.

The way I see it there were three good shots to choose from, it all depended on the angles of them to make a decision on which shot to choose. Rodney's choice with floating off the 1ball sending the cue ball to the side rail and then under the 9ball may have been laying too low with too straight of an angle to float off the 1ball and get the results needed. That shot if laying right is certainly a viable option but since he didn't shoot it, it probably wasn't there. If it was I would like that shot over the shot he chose because of the simplicity of the hit, in comparison to the shot Ike chose. There were a few people, including myself, that liked coming off the 2ball and sending the cue ball back to where he shot from. I see two possible problems with that shot and either could of been a deterrent enough to not shoot it. One being that the 2ball may have been laying too high to safely avoid contacting the 6ball, so possibly it needed to be hit short. The problem with hitting the 2ball short is a speed problem with controlling the 2ball speed (which is vitally important) and manage to get the cue ball to go back where you shot from. If both the 2ball option and floating off the 1ball option had those problems then he had a valid reason to choose the shot he did, but shots of that kind need to be hit well.

I think the situation, in terms of how the balls were positioned, favored the shot that Rodney chose, floating under the 9ball, or the 2ball option over the shot Ike chose, providing the angles were available. But that's one of the reasons this game is so fascinating because of the many considerations there are when choosing options.:D

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
I think you nailed it when you say that he was either trying to stick or snuggle up to the 11ball, that would be the smartest way to play the cue ball, and if he was able to control the 1ball then it would of been a great shot.

The way I see it there were three good shots to choose from, it all depended on the angles of them to make a decision on which shot to choose. Rodney's choice with floating off the 1ball sending the cue ball to the side rail and then under the 9ball may have been laying too low with too straight of an angle to float off the 1ball and get the results needed. That shot if laying right is certainly a viable option but since he didn't shoot it, it probably wasn't there. If it was I would like that shot over the shot he chose because of the simplicity of the hit, in comparison to the shot Ike chose. There were a few people, including myself, that liked coming off the 2ball and sending the cue ball back to where he shot from. I see two possible problems with that shot and either could of been a deterrent enough to not shoot it. One being that the 2ball may have been laying too high to safely avoid contacting the 6ball, so possibly it needed to be hit short. The problem with hitting the 2ball short is a speed problem with controlling the 2ball speed (which is vitally important) and manage to get the cue ball to go back where you shot from. If both the 2ball option and floating off the 1ball option had those problems then he had a valid reason to choose the shot he did, but shots of that kind need to be hit well.

I think the situation, in terms of how the balls were positioned, favored the shot that Rodney chose by floating under the 9ball, or the 2ball option, over the shot Ike chose providing the angles were available. But that's one of the reasons this game is so fascinating because of the many considerations there are when choosing options.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
thanks to all who participated in this wwyd
it was informative for me
i think i still like the the traditional wwyd format more
but is this a format to try again??
how did you like it??
dont be shy with your opinions please....
post the positives
pm me with the negatives
:heh:heh:heh
just kidding your feedback welcome...:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
how did you like it??
Your selection was a nice variation. Essentially the choices are either "what did he do" or "what would you do". In this case you showed us in advance what he did, so we can get right into the discussion of what each individual would do, and why-- which is in essence what these threads are about anyhow.:)

Good job. Carry on.....

~Doc

Cory in dc

Verified Member
how did you like it??
post the positives
pm me with the negatives
:heh:heh:heh
just kidding your feedback welcome...:)
Usually, WWYDs involve successful shots. I think there's a lot to be learned from what went wrong, so I liked it.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The going for the cookie thing is kinda pointless because it is what do you think the right shot is, not what the guy shot. This format leads you away from that distraction right away. I have went for many cookies that I would not have actually shot by the way :)

beatle

Verified Member
no way should you try to hit balls up table when you might sell out. hitting a ball with draw and trying to hit another ball from 8 1/2 feet away is a stupid shot.
id play off one of the two balls up table and leave him up table. its insane to leave him down by his hole.

id rather cut the 15 and spin the cue and at least put it in my jaws. but it looks like lots of ways to play off the two and leave him relatively safe and long.