A couple of words about the match

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Just wanted to point out a couple things I forgot I my previous post. It strikes me as funny/ironic that John's two most ardent supporters here both acknowledge that the Ghost outshot and outmoved John most of the match and got bad rolls at the end. I'm not taking away from John in any way. He played well and won fair and square. More power to him. That being said I've read a lot of comments today that me make wonder what some individuals were watching. For reasons I can't comprehend, there seems to be a lot of unjustified Ghostbashing going on. I'm sorry but the Ghost made way more creative and difficult shots during the match than John did allowing him to go 4-2 on day one and 9-7 on day three.Let's review some of the facts. Game 16 got a ball roll attempting to cut ball along head rail...din't reach and as luck would have it stopped in the one in a million spot with the half inch angle John needed to get behind his game ball.If left straight in, he has to draw back I nto the side rail. Match should have been over then with Ghost 3 games winner. Again game 20 couple bad rolls that didn't reach and we would have had a different outcome.John capitalized on those opportunities and won. My point is that for anyone to say that Ghost didn't play well, give it his all, or didnt have the mental capacity, needs to have their freaking head examined.

I think Ghost showed he can mix it up for the cash. As far as the rolls, that is pool when you play for 18+ hours over three days.

He made some remarkable comebacks under pressure and so did I. He certainly banked better than I did, but I came with some key banks when I needed them. We both missed balls and made mistakes and under the circumstances, that can be expected.

We each had one eight and out in three days. That table is tough and will make you miss shots and shorten your stroke a little.

Red Shoes is a great players room. The sweators were quiet and respectful and I would like to thank everyone involved for the experience. Especially the Ghost for getting up and playing, and Red Shoes for letting us get it on. It was too bad someone had to lose, but that is gambling, and this was a gamble. Riva was there supporting her guy every game.

I would not pay much attention to any negative comments. I think overall they were very positive and appreciative of our effort.

It was great to see my old friends and meet new ones. I will come back and do it again if we can put another one together, but you have to give it a little time. I have another match to line up first.

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Great post!!!

Great post!!!

I think Ghost showed he can mix it up for the cash. As far as the rolls, that is pool when you play for 18+ hours over three days.

He made some remarkable comebacks under pressure and so did I. He certainly banked better than I did, but I came with some key banks when I needed them. We both missed balls and made mistakes and under the circumstances, that can be expected.

We each had one eight and out in three days. That table is tough and will make you miss shots and shorten your stroke a little.

Red Shoes is a great players room. The sweators were quiet and respectful and I would like to thank everyone involved for the experience. Especially the Ghost for getting up and playing, and Red Shoes for letting us get it on. It was too bad someone had to lose, but that is gambling, and this was a gamble. Riva was there supporting her guy every game.

I would not pay much attention to any negative comments. I think overall they were very positive and appreciative of our effort.

It was great to see my old friends and meet new ones. I will come back and do it again if we can put another one together, but you have to give it a little time. I have another match to line up first.

Great post John. It just reaffirms your already stellar reputation as a solid stand-up guy who isn't afraid to give credit where it's due. You' re post is right on. You played a great match. I really enjoyed it. One of the best matches I've ever sweated.

PS.....Chicagoans aren't that bad are they? I know you love the food.

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Amen

Amen

DWS,

I took your point. Chat room nits are many and most of them don't gamble and never have. Because of that they deserve no ink from me.

Dennis

You're right....They will get no more ink from me either. F em......Who the F are they?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I personally have experienced some ribbing from people on my play being on many live streams but sometimes you shine and sometimes its a horror flick. I got over it though and just played realizing like most people in the poolroom on the sidelines the majority of people online cannot beat me anyway. :D

Thanks for getting up there and playing. :)

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
You have a lot of class Ghost.

You have a lot of class Ghost.

One of my Heroes once said

"People will always say what they want to say, you just do what you have to do."

and

"You don't see what a man is made of when he wins, you see when he loses."

Great match from both of you, hope to see you again.

Bill

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member

Nice shooting John. Now you will be able to stash some SS checks for a couple months and hoard up a big bankroll. You played well...sort of like the tortoise that just kept strolling along and didn't stop. Well played.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
..the knockers sure put a bad taste in my mouth...- Ghost[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Ghostie, don't let them get you down. Most of them never played three days straight for that much. When I watched Cooney and Toby F. play awhile back an 8 ahead match, after 3 days they could barely make a ball. You made some great shots - and moved like a ghost. My hats off to both of you.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... We each had one eight and out in three days. That table is tough and will make you miss shots and shorten your stroke a little. ...
This is what I've been meaning to ask you or Luke. The table reportedly had 4-1/8" corner pockets, which to my taste is a wee bit too tight (I like 4-1/2"). But how do you reckon it affected your respective play?

I think the average viewer tended not to take into consideration the pocket difficulty, and how it influences one's play. The cloth and pool balls were clean and dry, which helped. The pockets did seem to accept the balls well at slow or medium speed, especially noticeable when approaching the pockets from a shallow angle. Also the table appeared to me to be on the slow side, which allows for a little more freedom in the stroke. I'm used to playing on Diamonds, so it would have taken me quite awhile to adjust to the wider bank angles.

Any comments from John or Ghost?

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I spent a lot of the three days with my computer hooked up to my 58" plasma tv. There were many great shots and moves. I've seen the pro's miss plenty of easy shots. Good and bad comes from every match. I guess it's easier to bash the bad shots. My arm would probably fall off playing in front of the camera.

I had planed to be there but life got in the way.
Thanks to Ghost and John for the match.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Sell It

Sell It

I watched the first few minutes of the video only, read No other thread yet. I don't know you, but I've seen YOUR....before. Mostly I noticed the behavior of the shooter ''after the shot''. The bank and cue ball movement with inside was ''most excellent'' but the behavior....for quite a while....before execution of his next shot ''jumped out''. I've run into and played quite a few matches, with this type of after the shot reaction/behavior.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
This is what I've been meaning to ask you or Luke. The table reportedly had 4-1/8" corner pockets, which to my taste is a wee bit too tight (I like 4-1/2"). But how do you reckon it affected your respective play?

I think the average viewer tended not to take into consideration the pocket difficulty, and how it influences one's play. The cloth and pool balls were clean and dry, which helped. The pockets did seem to accept the balls well at slow or medium speed, especially noticeable when approaching the pockets from a shallow angle. Also the table appeared to me to be on the slow side, which allows for a little more freedom in the stroke. I'm used to playing on Diamonds, so it would have taken me quite awhile to adjust to the wider bank angles.

Any comments from John or Ghost?

~Doc

The owner told me the table had Diamond rails. I came to the room a couple hours early each day to practice on it. My biggest problem was the cue ball. We play with the measles ball here. I hated them for the first couple months, but after playing with them almost exclusively for years now, am more comfortable with the measle ball than the red circle. IMO the red circle is a better ball and I wish was the standard, but the change takes some getting used to, and I never really felt I was at my best with it.

I lost my cue ball many times and gave up far too many shots, and was lucky to win. I should have adjusted better, but perhaps that the age has something to do with that. Ghost made shots and ran balls better than I did and controlled the cue ball better. I was on the rail with the cue ball much more often than I was able to put him on it. I improved the last day because I quit trying to drive the cue where I wanted it and rolled it.

He takes multiple balls away from your hole better than I do, especially after the break. That is a double edged sword and sometimes you leave a 'keyhole' for a
return bank, and that happened a few times. When you are running good a ball might go in your hole or jaw in it, and that also happened a few times.

Overall, I was outplayed. I hung in there, which is what i do, and came with key shots when I had to, and Ghost did the same many times.

In all honesty, we both deserved to win and I was lucky enough to be the one who did.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Well said John, a VERY good analogy and accurate!

Once again, if you decide to play Bill Stroud, good luck to you!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
I watched all three days, hour or two at a time and really enjoyed the match. Like everyone has said, it is too bad there had to be a loser because both of you play very good in my opinion. Thanks so much for letting us watch this match for FREE. It was very entertaining and I will be looking forward to the next time you guys play again. Maybe at the Derby.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would first like to say that both players played with heart and enjoyed the challenge. Both John and The Ghost respect one another and it showed in their demeanor ...all three days.:cool: As far as how they both performed, the times that I watched (about 4 hours) they looked to be playing very carefully and mostly all games exceeded their normal playing speed which is why they really never reached their best speeds imo. I like the way both players moved they usually had an answer to the many traps their opponent put them in, which was exciting. This was a great match to watch if you like watching the up table moving part of one pocket, there was a lot to be learned if you watched how they both performed in that area in particular. The match came down pretty much like I expected it to, and John just played more to his speed in the last few games than The Ghost. However, this match could of went either way.

The Ghost had an excellent opportunity to win the match in the 19th. game when he was slightly off angle with the 3ball, a shot he would either make or hang 80% of the time under normal circumstances, but he hit it into the rail short of the pocket. There was a ball to the right of the 3ball that was positioned in a threatening position if the shot was hit accurately, but missed. I believe this thought ran through The Ghost's mind when he shot the shot on the 3ball because of the way he hit the shot. He hit too much ball and followed through the 3ball as opposed to cutting the 3ball and playing for the win. His method of shooting the 3ball assured him of not leaving a shot on the ball positioned to the right of the 3ball, so he played more cue ball than OB and it cost him the win.:(

I played Ike about 6 or 7 years ago in a race to ten for a considerable amount and lost 10/9. In that match I was ahead 9 to 7 just like The Ghost was in his match with John and I made a couple bad shots that cost me the match as The Ghost did in his match...pressure is the most deciding factor in the outcome of many matches that are played, particularly if you're in unfamiliar waters.

Thanks to everyone that took part in this match to bring it to all that watched it, and a special thanks to both players that made it possible to have watched it and now in talking about it.:cool:

Back to the grind.:D

Dr. Bill

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
First of all let me say, congratulations to John for his win, it was a tough/closely fought 3 day battle.

And thanks to all that gave John and I both equal props...

Now, I need to vent a little...

Between certain posts that were made, both here and on azbilliards..and many comments in the chat rooms that I was told about today..the knockers sure put a bad taste in my mouth...lot's and lot's of mentions of missed shots, bad composure, etc. - but of course no one cares to make mention of any of the very tough shots that were made, in very intense situations...

For those that didn't get a chance to see the approx. final 25 gut-wrenching minutes of the match, I'm including here a link to those minutes...

I missed a game winning straight in shot in these minutes, that I was supposed to make, and that needless to say I'm not very happy with myself about...

That said...that miss was sure chirpily mentioned a lot in the chats, etc...

But did anyone care to mention that in the next inning (at the 7:37 point in this tape) I regrouped and came within 1/2" of making an extremely off-angled cross-corner to win the match? - of course no one did....or the straight back 5 min. later (at the 12:36 point in this tape) that I missed by 1" to win the match? - nah.......or when I was down 6-5 in this final game, how about the bank that I make at the start of this tape, a bank wherein it is just barely possible to escape the kiss, if you want to float-follow down for shape...nope, no mention of that shot either.....anyways...

...here's the link ------>

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37863239

- Ghost

First, let me say that I watched the entire 21 or so grueling hours of this match, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, in spite of the opinion that I happen to have that it could and probably should have been completed in about half of that time. I think the "moving" and shot selection was very good and the ballmaking was a little subpar at times, although some very creative shots were made by both players.

I think John deserves, and has recieved, tremendous credit for being willing to travel several thousand miles, absorb the expense of a trip like this, and play an opponent on his home court, especially at his age. His reputation is well deserved.

However, any objective analysis of this match would have to at least touch on one distasteful aspect of the play to be complete. I have no problem with Lukes defensive playing style, in fact it is similar to mine, and I think this style makes for very interesting one pocket, not to mention that if you can't make a ball you better develop some defense. But, since Luke seems somewhat dismayed at there being any critisizm of his play, which begs the question. Perhaps he would like to hear one spectators opinion as to why he has that fowl taste in his mouth.

Using the 21 minute clip, which was very exciting, and which Luke wants to point to, and which I have no reason to think does not represent the entire match fairly well, let me offer this.

There were twelve innings, or trips to the table for each player in this clip. Measuring from the end of the opponents last shot, Lukes time at the table during the last 21 minutes was 15.5 minutes and Johns time at the table was 5.5 minutes (73% vs 28%). Extrapolated over the 21 hour match Luke had the table 15.5 hours to Johns 5.5 hours.

Now, while I don't know if this is typically Lukes normal cadence, I do know that playing this slow can make it hard to get action. Lukes preshot antics of walking away from the table, circling the table, chalking his stick several times, getting down to shoot only to rise and start all over again, even for large cheese, are often looked on unfavorably. They are sometimes regarded as "moves" defined as anything from ignorrant and annoying to deliberate and sharking in nature.

In any case, failure to recognize and alter this behavior, and consider the potential affect on your opponent over three days of play is the difference between the two players, and what IMO drew much of the negative remarks.

Pls accept this opinion in the constructive nature it is offered, and use it to improve your play in the future.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would first like to say that both players played with heart and enjoyed the challenge. Both John and The Ghost respect one another and it showed in their demeanor ...all three days.:cool: As far as how they both performed, the times that I watched (about 4 hours) they looked to be playing very carefully and mostly all games exceeded their normal playing speed which is why they really never reached their best speeds imo. I like the way both players moved they usually had an answer to the many traps their opponent put them in, which was exciting. This was a great match to watch if you like watching the up table moving part of one pocket, there was a lot to be learned if you watched how they both performed in that area in particular. The match came down pretty much like I expected it to, and John just played more to his speed in the last few games than The Ghost. However, this match could of went either way.

The Ghost had an excellent opportunity to win the match in the 19th. game when he was slightly off angle with the 3ball, a shot he would either make or hang 80% of the time under normal circumstances, but he hit it into the rail short of the pocket. There was a ball to the right of the 3ball that was positioned in a threatening position if the shot was hit accurately, but missed. I believe this thought ran through The Ghost's mind when he shot the shot on the 3ball because of the way he hit the shot. He hit too much ball and followed through the 3ball as opposed to cutting the 3ball and playing for the win. His method of shooting the 3ball assured him of not leaving a shot on the ball positioned to the right of the 3ball, so he played more cue ball than OB and it cost him the win.:(

I played Ike about 6 or 7 years ago in a race to ten for a considerable amount and lost 10/9. In that match I was ahead 9 to 7 just like The Ghost was in his match with John and I made a couple bad shots that cost me the match as The Ghost did in his match...pressure is the most deciding factor in the outcome of many matches that are played, particularly if you're in unfamiliar waters.

Thanks to everyone that took part in this match to bring it to all that watched it, and a special thanks to both players that made it possible to have watched it and now in talking about it.:cool:

Back to the grind.:D

Dr. Bill

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Great match

Great match

The owner told me the table had Diamond rails. I came to the room a couple hours early each day to practice on it. My biggest problem was the cue ball. We play with the measles ball here. I hated them for the first couple months, but after playing with them almost exclusively for years now, am more comfortable with the measle ball than the red circle. IMO the red circle is a better ball and I wish was the standard, but the change takes some getting used to, and I never really felt I was at my best with it.

I lost my cue ball many times and gave up far too many shots, and was lucky to win. I should have adjusted better, but perhaps that the age has something to do with that. Ghost made shots and ran balls better than I did and controlled the cue ball better. I was on the rail with the cue ball much more often than I was able to put him on it. I improved the last day because I quit trying to drive the cue where I wanted it and rolled it.

He takes multiple balls away from your hole better than I do, especially after the break. That is a double edged sword and sometimes you leave a 'keyhole' for a
return bank, and that happened a few times. When you are running good a ball might go in your hole or jaw in it, and that also happened a few times.

Overall, I was outplayed. I hung in there, which is what i do, and came with key shots when I had to, and Ghost did the same many times.

In all honesty, we both deserved to win and I was lucky enough to be the one who did.

Hey John, watched most of all 3 days and really enjoyed it. I just have one question if you don't mind answering. Why, on the last game when u had a spot shot to win the match with any easy safe did u not shoot it, rather you crossed bank the ball to your pocket missing it by a mile by the way,lol. I asked Kenny, Lettuce , and a couple other 1p players what they would do and they said shoot the spot shot, including me. Just like to know your thought process on that.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Hey John, watched most of all 3 days and really enjoyed it. I just have one question if you don't mind answering. Why, on the last game when u had a spot shot to win the match with any easy safe did u not shoot it, rather you crossed bank the ball to your pocket missing it by a mile by the way,lol. I asked Kenny, Lettuce , and a couple other 1p players what they would do and they said shoot the spot shot, including me. Just like to know your thought process on that.

In my opinion the bank is the better selection. Although the spot shot looks very inviting, many things could go wrong with it. For one you have to shoot soft and more than likely you will leave a bank with a good chance for position on the last ball.
If you shoot it with draw it now becomes even more difficult for the situation you're in. If you miss it shooting it with draw who knows how they will wind up. I like what he did. Your opponent has to earn it if you don't make the bank.
If you both needed one ball then I would highly consider the shot with draw mainly because of positioning the cue ball on the short rail.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

The thought process on that is what is known as, "Don't ever give up the move, always stay a move up." I am sure he picked that up from Artie.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
In my opinion the bank is the better selection. Although the spot shot looks very inviting, many things could go wrong with it. For one you have to shoot soft and more than likely you will leave a bank with a good chance for position on the last ball.
If you shoot it with draw it now becomes even more difficult for the situation you're in. If you miss it shooting it with draw who knows how they will wind up. I like what he did. Your opponent has to earn it if you don't make the bank.

Ed Zachery collect.
Rod.